It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Matter-Hard for People to Understand

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   
space.com...

Anti-Matter is on Space.com! Read the article because it will help you understand a concept of the universe. Here's a little taste!

Research into what separates matter from antimatter is accelerating in particle physics experiments around the world. Scientists are hoping the difference will help explain why you, me and all the things around us are made of matter instead of its opposite

It's something to learn. I have been disapointed to learn that many people do not respond to this highly advanced posts. Lots of views but few replies.

It's just too confusing for some people to understand. So if you want to dedicate yourself then read this article. It's OFFICIAL!

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
we dont know what to put it in, cos if we put it in a mayo jar (for example) there would be a big "BOOOOOM!"

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Anti-matter is actually pretty simple. Its almost the same as matter except opposite in charge. It annihilates when it comes in contact with matter and gives off gamma radiation.

Aside from that the particle physics of the a-symetry is a frigin pain and at the early stages of research.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Yes that is indeed correct quest. But still touching on Paladin327 point, I think it would be hard to store it. In fact you would have to put the anti-matter in a anti-matter jar.

I don't know what to say. I think it is somewhat complicated but then again it is somewhat simple.

Anti-Matter is dangerous to handle because if it touches your head you are dead.

Perhaps the government already has Anti-Matter?

Anti-Matter! Use caution!

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I thought if you have a anti-particle like say anti-hydrogen only a particle of normal Hydrogen could make it release energy.

If any normal matter can destroy any anti-matter perhaps magnetic fields can be used to contain it.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Wouldn't magnetic fields contain some type of matter or anti-matter? Over my research done with watching Brian Greene documentaries and reading his books I think no matter what a particle contains in chemicles when it collides with anti-matter they both obliterate each other. Correct me if I am wrong though.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Maybe a magnetic field in a vacuum chamber? If anti-matter works with any type of matter. I dont think a magnetic field is made up of any particles just energy. So if you created a perfect chamber free of any particles a magnetic field might be used to keep it away from the sides of the container.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I heard a far out theory that suggested anti-matter such as anti-electrons and anti-protons could form larger bodies the same as electrons and protons form larger atoms and molecules. This would go all the way up to large bodies such as planets and stars. I wondered how a world of anti-matter with anti-matter planets and stars would be different than our planets and stars consisting of regular matter. Then I wondered if such a galaxy of anti-matter could exist in our present universe (separated by distance of course) without it looking any different than the regular galaxies.

Here's a link to a far out web site I found where the author thinks we are all doomed because some comets are made of anti-matter and NASA is going to cause a 15 Megaton explosion by colliding a probe into it. I don't know enough about anti-matter to explain it away though.
www.matter-antimatter.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Thats interesting orionthehunter I always here about anti-hydrogen when people talk about anti-matter. I always wondered if you then had anti-oxygen could you combine them and make anti-water?

I never really thought about whole planets made up of anti-matter or even perhaps a anti-carbon based lifeform. I never really thought of anything that complex made of anti-matter.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I understand ShadowXIX, I used to only think of anti-matter as something used on Star Trek for propulsion and for their famous anti-matter bombs. An anti-matter bomb could make a really big explosion. (100 percent conversion of matter and anti-matter to energy) I suppose they had magnetic containment fields in Star Trek to contain the anti-matter.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Your right about the bomb thing I think that 1 kilogram of anti-matter would produce something like a 46MT blast. They would make nuclear weapons look quite weak for their size when compared to a anti-matter bomb.

Thats one drawback about every making a anti-matter reactor it would be quite easy to make a bomb out of the stuff and you know somebody would do it.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Anti-matter can be stored.

If you had a stable anti-X particle (X being one of the elements of the periodic table) then the only thing it could destroy is another anti-X particle.

If you store anti-X in a Y container (Y being anything stable other than X) then there is no problems.

However, if you only have subatomic anti-matter then all bets are off. It would be very difficult to store it safely.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Your right about the bomb thing I think that 1 kilogram of anti-matter would produce something like a 46MT blast.

My calculations indicate a much, much bigger output. If you take the E=mc**2 formula, plug in the speed of light and two kilos (1 matter and one antimatter), then divide by the TNT equivalent... It'll be much more than 46 MT.

When talking about "anti-matter" one prbably means actual atoms, and not individual subatomic particles. Atoms are neutral and there is not good way to store them unless you suspend the material in either magnetic or electric field. Which is doable.

Because of the enormous amount of energy reaquired to make it, manufacturing this stuff is practically impossible (although the processes to make individual antiprotons and positrons are realitvely trivial).

The asymmetry in the quantity of matter and anti-matter in the Universe is a mystery. Most of the stuff is matter.

[edit on 14-9-2004 by Aelita]

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 06:21 AM
link   
its the anti thing that gets people. people are inherently scared of physics, just the word even, so theyre bound to be equally freaked out by the word matter. u throw in anti there, then uve got pure chaos
almost anyway.

the reason why we have the universe as matter and not anti matter is that while normally an equal amount of each is made, the CP (charge parity) violation in fact creates a minute amount more of matter, at roughly 1000000000:1000000001 (anti matter to matter) i believe. given enuf time, say, oh, 13.7 billion years, you get extra matter such as we have.

id find a link, but its too early, i gotta go.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
It goes along with the saying "If you eat pasta, and Anti-pasta, are you still hungry?" and when a high pressure system and a low pressure system meet, they cancel each other out, maybe when anti matter and matter come together, perhaps they cancel each other out???

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paladin327
It goes along with the saying "If you eat pasta, and Anti-pasta, are you still hungry?" and when a high pressure system and a low pressure system meet, they cancel each other out, maybe when anti matter and matter come together, perhaps they cancel each other out???

they do. E=mc^2. when 'carried out' your energy creates matter, namely a particle and its respective anti-particle. they usually immediately anihilate each other, creating energy, something we call quantum fluctuation. if this occured near a black hole, and one (preferably the anti-particle) fell into the black hole while the other continued elsewhere, we wud in theory be able to detect it. hawking radiation.

antipasta is good.

join