It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OWS's Failure - A New Reason From the Gallup Poll

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
While admiring some of the goals of OWS, many are surprised at its fizzling out. Where are the supporters? Where are the 99%? "Americans come and demonstrate with us. Americans? Are you out there?"

A new Gallup poll says no, Americans aren't out there, they don't want to be part of OWS, they've got other targets. Who worries you? - Gallup

In a just released poll, Gallup finds that 64% of Americans fear "Big Government" the most, with 26% afraid of "Big Business," and 8% afraid of "Big Labor."

OWS picked the wrong target. People aren't afraid of Business, they're afraid of Government, that's why the Tea Party became a popular movement and OWS hasn't. That's also why Obama and the Democrats will have difficulty in 2012. Republicans can't be blamed for a powerful Government that's bringing about a lot of change.

72% most afraid of Government and Unions? Looks good for Republicans in 2012.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
While admiring some of the goals of OWS, many are surprised at its fizzling out. Where are the supporters? Where are the 99%? "Americans come and demonstrate with us. Americans? Are you out there?"

A new Gallup poll says no, Americans aren't out there, they don't want to be part of OWS, they've got other targets. Who worries you? - Gallup

In a just released poll, Gallup finds that 64% of Americans fear "Big Government" the most, with 26% afraid of "Big Business," and 8% afraid of "Big Labor."

OWS picked the wrong target. People aren't afraid of Business, they're afraid of Government, that's why the Tea Party became a popular movement and OWS hasn't. That's also why Obama and the Democrats will have difficulty in 2012. Republicans can't be blamed for a powerful Government that's bringing about a lot of change.

72% most afraid of Government and Unions? Looks good for Republicans in 2012.

OWS does not stand for 'Big Government'

OWS has targeted the Government.

Why do you lie?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by theovermensch

Dear theovermensch,

This is a bad way to start the morning. Please let me explain.

OWS stands for Occupy Wall Street, not Occupy D.C. The protests are against the bankers who have corrupted the system, the big CEOs, and wealth inequality. They haven't protested politicians or laws to any great extent. Maybe they've protested Citizens United, but that's the Supreme Court, which is not normally considered part of Big Government.

We may have a disagreement in our opinions, but it does not make you look good to accuse me of lying.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Business and government are 84% one and the same*.
And is it really fizzling? Feels to me like it is just starting.
Occupation does not have to be tents nor sleeping over-night.

Granted the great dumbing down has certainly done it's job.

edit on 13-12-2011 by butterflyowl because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-12-2011 by butterflyowl because: typos

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   

reply to post by theovermensch

Dear theovermensch,

This is a bad way to start the morning. Please let me explain.

OWS stands for Occupy Wall Street, not Occupy D.C. The protests are against the bankers who have corrupted the system, the big CEOs, and wealth inequality. They haven't protested politicians or laws to any great extent. Maybe they've protested Citizens United, but that's the Supreme Court, which is not normally considered part of Big Government.

We may have a disagreement in our opinions, but it does not make you look good to accuse me of lying.

With respect,
Charles1952

I assumed you knew that one of their main issues is government corruption and political donations.

If anyone supports "big government" it is democrats and republicans. Why do you support big government? Why do you support corrupt government?

If you are not being dishonest Im sorry I said you lie. I assumed you were more informed.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Don't get drawn in to his trap.
Just trying anything to get an argument with someone. he's done it on at least three threads in the last two days.
Just ignore him.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by butterflyowl

Dear butterflyowl,

I'm not sure where the 84% comes from, but that's a small point. What seems important to me is that Americans don't see Business and Government as the same. They think they're different and that Government is the bigger threat.

So, whatever the truth of the situation, Americans would rather see Attacks on Government than on Business.

That means they'll likely support Tea Party over OWS, and Republicans over Democrats.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by butterflyowl
Business and government are 84% one and the same.
And is it really fizzling? Feels to me like it is just starting.
Occupation does not have to be tents nor sleeping over-night.

I agree. They have taken all that money they raised and are planning a strategy for the 2012 elections. They will beat the duoploy at its own game. They havent gone anywhere.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by haarvik

Just trying anything to get an argument with someone. he's done it on at least three threads in the last two days.
Just ignore him.

Please stop trolling.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

reply to post by butterflyowl

Dear butterflyowl,

I'm not sure where the 84% comes from, but that's a small point. What seems important to me is that Americans don't see Business and Government as the same. They think they're different and that Government is the bigger threat.

So, whatever the truth of the situation, Americans would rather see Attacks on Government than on Business.

That means they'll likely support Tea Party over OWS, and Republicans over Democrats.

Who do you think makes the big political donations? Business. Business is the government.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I find it amazing that people ask about support or lack thereof for OWS, and when given an honest answer, do nothing more than flame the answers. If you don't want to know what people truly think, then don't ask. You can justify your support all you want, and that is fine. But you aren't going to change the views others have of OWS. Not gonna happen.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Naw, not Scandinavian. Just a name I invented while writing a book about 14 years ago.
Of course I do have Scandinavian ancestors, so maybe my sub-conscience selected it...lol!

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by haarvik

Just ignore him.

Dear haarvik, (Scandinavian name?)

Thanks for the advice, I'll take it for now. The overmensch is asking me why I support things like Big Government without bothering to notice that I don't. If he's doing it intentionaal, for an argument, I feel he must have a sad angry life right now. Hey, theobermensch, I'll throw a little prayer your way, if you don't mind.

With respect,
Charles1952

Ha,very mature.

About as mature as this thread and your neocon buds.

If you are republican or democrat you support big government. That is clear.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Just in general:

When reading the poll, I thought I saw some information that could be put to use, so I presented it. Is it possible that an OWS supporter could say "Hey, we're not where the people are. Let's change our emphasis and shift our targets a little, then we can get the 64% behind us?" I'd like to think so. The poll is there. Not much to debate. The question is what can we do with that information?

Oh, theovermensch? If you're happy and at peace I'm sincerely glad for you. (And you probably have more hair and a nicer car)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Of course...
Ever since 9-11 the smart money is with the Republicans.
Everything was pulled to the right. The Democratic Party too.

Wall Street put Obama in...An easy going, young, minority, no family ties
like Clinton or Bush.

"Be Afraid of OBL but Go Shopping" vs "Nothing to Fear but Fear Itself"

edit on 13-12-2011 by butterflyowl because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-12-2011 by butterflyowl because: to fill out reason...extra words

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I think this poll directly speaks to a lot of the responses I have seen on the various forums concerning OWS. A lot of members, myself included, have said all along that they were targeting the wrong thing. They should have been targeting the government. I think if government had been the target it would have gained more mainstream support and actually gained a lot more steam.

link   
Hello, Everyone!

Please remember to be courteous to each other. Debate the topic instead of resorting to personal attacks or insults. If everyone stays on topic, the true topic can be discussed instead of our fellow members.

Thanks!

link   

Text Oh, theovermensch? If you're happy and at peace I'm sincerely glad for you. (And you probably have more hair and a nicer car)

I ride a motorbike. And I actually do have pretty awesome hair.

And my stance is that OWS does not stand for Big Government. Rather the duopoly has and does. And I contend that the government is a front for business. The rebublicans will go the way of Greece,you will openly be run by bankers. Obama will continue on with his crony state capitalism. Republicans and Democrats are the enemy.They are the same.

#And sorry for the lack of courtesy hey. I am passionate about politics is all.
edit on 13-12-2011 by theovermensch because: typo

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join