It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey ATSers, OWSers and other in need of work!!!! (Seriously)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Good on you for taking the time to share your info, not many would have taken the time. If one person finds it useful its worth a thousand flags.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Here we go again.

Someone posting info, and all the OWS pro/con people come out of the woodwork. I think it is admirable for someone to post information about jobs, and where they are located. I have seen a lot of people on here bitching about not being able to find work. Well, here you go. No excuses. I read someone else being sarcastic about uprooting for work. You know what? Thousands of people have done just that, myself included. Unless you are willing to sacrifice and do what you need to then stop complaining about how you are not part of the 1%.

And for you tree huggers out there, I'll wager you drive a car, and probably heat your house with gas/propane. So until you are fully self sufficient and off grid, electric car, etc then stop being a hypocrit. People and industry need gas/oil so as long as there is demand there will be work.

Kudos to those who are willing to make the move and better their lives.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by getreadyalready

Maybe you do support the movement but I think that's probably about the most insulting commentary I have seen about Occupy so far and on these boards that is saying a lot. For a supporter you don't seem to know a lot about the people.

There are people of all ages and backgrounds, there are students who work, go to school and still manage to get out there and stand up for what they believe in. There are retirees who have earned their right to sit on their asses and bitch, but they don't they get out there and stand up for what they believe in. There are the full time employed that join and contribute after they have worked a full day that are getting out there to stand up for what thet believe in. There are doctors and nurses who work 90 hours a week but still get out there to stand up for what they believe in. Retired cops and war veterans are in the mix too. Sure there's some entitlists around but...

Please.

There are people blasting OWS a million times worse than what I said. I know there are a few good folks in there, and I said "in general." And I stand by that. I think the whiny, unemployed, student loan crowd vastly outnumbers the veterans and working folks that stop by when they have a chance.

Like I said, I'm glad they are there, because I don't have the time to be there, and I think someone needs to get the attention on this issue.

But, lets not make them into heroes. Most of clashes with police have been well-deserved. This doesn't compare at all to the civil rights clashes or the Vietnam War protests. So far, this is a big camp out and party, and they are getting far more credit than they deserve.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

and all the OWS pro/con people come out of the woodwork.

The title of this thread is, "Hey all OWSERs...."

The OP specifically asked for the pro/con OWS crowd.

Otherwise, I agree with you. It is great that the OP shared this info, and if it gets even one person a job, it was well worthwhile!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Well i guess the hydrofracking bus made it to PA after all.

You guys know what these jobs are don't you.....

Man, that is rough. Sure people will make money, but it's gonna mess up your state in the long run.

Whatever, I guess it doesn't matter. I have to look into this more. I know there were alot of people fighting against this, but everyone wants the jobs it brings, and government wants the NG.

Oh well, hope the water stays good. Maybe they added new regulations...Doubtful.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Yep, you're right.

Title should have been ATS'ers, not OWS'ers.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Please.

Back at ya.

There are people blasting OWS a million times worse than what I said.

No. Not really. Anyone commenting should at least be familiar with the subject they are commenting about. A supporter even moreso. I say this because based on your post that I orignally responded to, you don't seem very well informed at all.

I think the whiny, unemployed, student loan crowd vastly outnumbers the veterans and working folks that stop by when they have a chance.

I think you would find the opposite to be true if you bothered looking at the subject for more than five minutes. The media, especially the right-wing media is only going to show you those.

Most of clashes with police have been well-deserved.

Clashes maybe, that is part of civil disobedience after all. The excessive force? No.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

Noted, agreed and changed.

Thank you.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I had one disparaging line in my post. There are entire threads dedicated to bashing OWS. I said "in general" there is an air of entitlement and looking for an easy way. That is barely disparaging at all, and can probably be said about the general population, not just OWS. You are being overly dramatic in your interpretation.

I can't possibly be much more informed than what I see on ATS and the MSM, the FB page, and their own sites. There is an OWS group here in Tallahassee, and they put up a pretty good showing at our Capital with about 15 people for all of about 4 hours, LOL! It even made a quick mention on the evening news.... once.

I do have a couple of friends participating in OWS protests in other cities, and guess what, even though they are my friends, they are also lazy, entitlement seeking, liberal hippies.
One of them is a very close friend and former roommate, so I'm not saying anything here that I haven't said to his face.

Plus, just because someone is a veteran doesn't mean they are automatically a hero. Every homeless man on the street claims to be a veteran, and I've dealt intimately with the homeless crowd, and I have no sympathy. I won't rehash all my previous stories here, they already exist on ATS if you are so inclined to search, but suffice to say, I've offered help to hundreds and hundreds, and I have 1 success story, and dozens of stories of things ending very badly, even in arrest and/or assault a few times.

I'll say it again. I'm glad they are protesting, I'm glad they are putting their laziness to good use, LOL! I'm glad they are out there drawing attention, because us working folks don't have the time to do it. I hope they are successful. But, in general, they are still lazy, entitlement seeking folks that are hoping to find an easy way to be bailed out of their situation. I hope they do find it, because I also have a ton of student loans, a ton of debt, and I would love to capitalize on an easier way myself. I wish them all the best, but I won't sugar coat who they are, or what they stand for.

ETA:
I will agree that the police are utilizing excessive force, and also under-handed provocative tactics. I will also admit to secretly hoping it escalates, so it will gain even more attention, and reach the level of the 60's were real social change actually resulted.
edit on 1-12-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

I'm not being overly dramatic in my interpretation of what you said. Really think about it. You can't possibly know all of the protesters, not even a fraction thus research is required, feel free to read any of my threads on Occupy as a starting point. Just because there are multiple threads dedicated to bashing OWS doesn't make what you said in just a few words less insulting. Basicially, you have reduced some really good people and a lot of them, to being useful idiots. Glad to be of service to you.
edit on 1-12-2011 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Basicially, you have reduced some really good people and a lot of them to being useful idiots. Glad to be of service to you.

I never said they were "idiots." They're probably smarter than me. I'm working my ass off to barely pay my bills, and they're camping out in the park, eating free food, having great sex, and being called heroes for sitting idly by and getting maced once in awhile.

I'm the idiot. I'm doing things the hard way.

I'm one who would probably take the fracking job, even though I disagree with the process. I would put my livelihood and my family's amenities over my uninformed view of fracking.

I'm one that works in government regulation, and sees daily how the stuff we do is ineffective, and the stuff we don't do is dangerous, and how we need more authority to get things done, while at the same time hating government authority. Yet, I still do my job every day to pay my bills.

So, obviously, with no sarcasm intended whatsoever, in reality, I (and others like me) am the idiot here.

Still doesn't mean these folks aren't lazy.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

"They" probably are not even the majority and ya, it's seriously under my skin to see this crap generalization all over the place when I know it isn't true. It's not true of OccupyBoston, nor from anything my research tells me, is it true about OWS or anywhere else. Saying something over and over does not make it true, it is either a fact or it isn't, I believe (through research and experience) that it isn't. My proof is there for you to see, where is yours?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I'll read your threads this afternoon. My only personal experience with OWS comes from 2 friends of mine. My only knowledge comes from ATS, MSM and the few links I've followed to things claiming to be OWS web pages.

So, I don't think I am wrong, but I'm not afraid to go read your threads and dig a little deeper. I'll reply back later this afternoon.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

I will agree that the police are utilizing excessive force, and also under-handed provocative tactics. I will also admit to secretly hoping it escalates, so it will gain even more attention, and reach the level of the 60's were real social change actually resulted.

Interesting statement. As far as the police. I think the counter would be that they are responsible for enforcing the law(s). They utilzed the "Esclastion of Force" doctrine. Talking/Writing etc, officially notifying of violations and what the remedy being offered is and then enforcement (again, starting low level and then working up to the resistence they meet or anticipate.

I am sure it took the LA area Law Enforcement community so doing to muster together 1400 cops (and still provide normal service to the communities not involved in the matter), the $$$, interuptions of schedules (both personal and work related-courts etc). Trust me, it isn't like you see on TV, when it comes to Law Enforcement.

I would much prefer a peaceful resolution. Violence isn't going to get them anywhere. Again I say, have them converge on D.C> and the numbers will grow because "we on the other side" knows where the problems are coming from and where they can be fixed BUT, we must work together to that goal.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
In an attempt to create jobs worldwide and financial freedom, we're trying to form an international company owned and operated by it's employee's right here on ATS!
Help Form An Employee Owned and Operated International Company...

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

you do realize OWS is OCCUPY WALL STREET right.? MAAAYYYBEE.. JUST MAYYYYYYBBEEEE that could signify that specific location. But hey what do I know? I'm just an Alabamian with no shoes and coveralls. But I do have to admit, this is pretty much what the whole Occupy movement is against right? So I doubt a corporate job is what they are after.

But to the OP, thanks for the info ^^, I have done quite a few travel jobs and I would apply in a heartbeat if I didn't have a miss I would be in PA tomorrow.

edit on 1-12-2011 by Pelvi because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-12-2011 by Pelvi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

it surprises me to see such blatant generalizations accepted as arguments. you have even repeated that you stated that you are generalizing ('in a general way' or however it's phrased. you have repeated it!).

further- do only certain mods have to use the disclaimer stuff when posting? it's curious because i see some mods make very tame posts but yet they have the info that says they are no longer moderating the thread because they've posted in it. other times i see some huge, bold statements from mods without the disclaimer. i'm thinking it's just personal choice?

we've seen the elderly at these protests, we've heard stories of people quitting their jobs to join the protests, and we have seen veterans at these protests. all i am saying is that the whole "ows is just lazy ne'er-do-wells sitting around" is a tired concept that needs to be replaced with a more accurate criticism (it seems the critics of ows are the lazy ones!)

what's more, you have said that you are glad there are protesters doing what you can't (because, as you make clear, you are working). so what is it? are you thankful for their message or do you wish they would go away? i don't see how it can go both ways.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by godWhisperer

The "mod box" is just used anytime a Mod is concerned their post will be taken authoritatively. I use it a lot in the BB&Q forum, because I have no say on policy, but I do have opinions, so I use the box.

Regardless of the box, Mods NEVER moderate in a thread in which they are participating.

More on topic, I said my generalizations are generalizations..... I don't see any problem with that? I know there are exceptions, but from what I have seen, read, and heard, my generalizations are generally accurate, LOL! Your mileage may vary from town to town, but that is what I believe to be true at this point.

As far as whether I want them to go away or not. I think I made it pretty clear, I hope they DO NOT go away. I hope their movement gets more mainstream support. I hope they grab more attention to the problems, and I hope some real change comes as a result. None of that changes the fact that I think they are mostly lazy, entitlement-minded folks, taking the opportunity to put their free time to good use camping out and eating free food.

I even said, I won't mind capitalizing on any benefits they might win in the area of student loans! I'd love to have seen the original bailout money applied heavily to student loans. I even put up A thread about that quite awhile ago.

So, to summarize.

Yes, I believe they are generally members of the lazier crowd, and generally have the idea of entitlements as a good idea.

Yes, I still hope they succeed in getting attention and exacting some change.

Yes, I hope I get to benefit from some of that change.

Yes, I am also a Mod, but it is irrelevant, and the box is a personal choice.

Additionally, I like the dog avvy! It looks just like an old dog of mine that passed.

edit on 1-12-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Kali74

I'll say it again. I'm glad they are protesting, I'm glad they are putting their laziness to good use, LOL!

But, in general, they are still lazy, entitlement seeking folks that are hoping to find an easy way to be bailed out of their situation.

I wish them all the best, but I won't sugar coat who they are, or what they stand for.

What the Frack (pun intended....ya know, because the jobs are in fracking...yeah it's a little lame) is wrong with you?

I'm glad they are out there drawing attention, because us working folks don't have the time to do it

I hope they do find it, because I also have a ton of student loans, a ton of debt, and I would love to capitalize on an easier way myself. I wish them all the best

You just keep giving these backhanded compliments like we can't see through it.

You're either a little goofy/not all there, or you're just a jerk. I know which one I'm leaning toward.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by yadda333

I'm not giving any compliments, back-handed or otherwise.

I think, I probably would not get along with 2/3rds of the people there. I think our ideologies are probably in stark contrast.

BUT, I still think it is important to protest, and I still think it is important for them to try and make the changes they see fit. I agree with them on the problems with corporatism.

It isn't back-handed, I would probably like a small amount of the people there, I could probably tolerate a decent amount of them, and I would probably dislike the rest, just based on idealogical perspectives. Some of my best friends are completely idealogically opposed to me. We have wonderful debates, sometimes heated, and sometimes we don't speak for a few days, LOL!

I do happen to despise laziness. It really irks me. I hate the extensions of unemployment benefits, and it looks like they are about to get extended yet again.
That is the type of thing I hate. I do not believe there are no jobs that pay better than unemployment. I believe people are milking it, and if the government cut off the benefits, all of a sudden they would find ways to survive. I'm fine with 13 weeks, but 99 weeks is outrageous.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join