It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This just isn't right... (Job Applications)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I am one of the many out of work here in the United States. I apply for anything (Walmart, Lowes, Mcd's, Misc local business's, etc) I come across in order to get a job but my college degree is in Pharmacy Tech and I am certified by my state to practice. I have been applying for jobs since graduation with little to no luck of even getting an interview and even been told I am over qualified on two instances. Recently I applied for 5 positions at a local hospital for reception, cash office, business office... etc, because I have experience on office settings. After applying for them I felt good and said I may get lucky with one of the applications and had plans to call and follow up with the HR dept. Two days later I had 5 emails... these were denial letters stating that they were seeking other candidates at the time. I sucked it up and kept looking for work.

A few days later a friend send me a link for a pharmacy tech job at a big box pharmacy here in town. I got excited and spent at least an hour filling out the extensive application since nowadays you almost have to have a blood sample taken to apply for anything. Excited that this might finally be it I called the pharmacy the next day and inquired about the position. I was told that the pharmacy director will be in Wednesday and was told to call back and talk to her. Well I got up early today to call and was put on hold at least 30 mins at least... so my nerves were getting the best of me. Finally the person I am waiting for answers the phone and this is the conversation as follows:

Pharmacy Director: Hello this is * how can I help you?
Me: Hello, My name is * and I had filled out an application for pharmacy technician at your store and I was wanting to follow up with you on the position to see if it's still available and when you may be conducting interviews.
Pharmacy Director: Oh I'm sorry that position was filled 2 months ago, our systems automatically post jobs online so that we can keep a full application pool.
Me: Oh, so you don't have a position open? Will you have a pharmacy technician position available in the near future?
Pharmacy Director: No we sure don't and unless we have someone leave we won't be hiring anytime soon.
Me: Ok thank you and have a good day.

Alright.... This is where I have my issue. Why post a job that you do not have available? This is wrong for people like me thinking "THIS IS MY CHANCE!", you think you have finally found a job only to get shot down because this job simply does not exist.

So I kinda feel like a starving child right now with someone holding food in front of my face only to just take it away as soon as I ask for it.

I am sorry for the rant but I just don't understand whats going on. For the record I am a 30 year old male that has 10+ years experience in retail/sales/customer service and just recently obtained my certification to practice as a technician in a retail/hospital pharmacy.

I am starting to lose hope...

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Thrace

Have you/Would you consider commission sales. You would be working for yourself and unless you sell you don't get paid however you will be 'working' and that puts you on the top of the applicant pile.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

I used to work on commission and I wont do that again. I need steady work with a steady income...

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Thrace

Hi thrace,

sorry to hear about that. Don't lose hope you just have to keep on trying. You can only give up hope when you give up the fight.

I know over here it is just as bad, I know someone who had their own business, unfortunately due to the financial cutbacks it folded. He is a business manager and is the hardest worker I know. He puts in more than he ever gets out.

He first applied for jobs suitable to his former position. He would send off hundreds of email applications only to get hundreds of 'thanks but no thanks' replies.

He then started applying for anything and everything. Almost 12 months later he is still unemployed and we dont see things changing any time soon. It is hard on the ego & self esteem and despondancy can get you down but you have to just keep on keeping on.

I agree totally that they should not be allowed to advertise posts that are basically ficticious. False advertising springs to mind.

Good luck in all your ventures and hopefully your perfect job wont be too far away.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Based on what you've written you seem to be very proactive in your job search. That's a really good thing.

The job market sucks, as you are very aware.. Just keep diligently plugging away, you've obviously got the credentials and the drive to land a good one soon. It's refreshing to see you don't think certain positions are below you. I believe it would look good to employers in your field of study if you were to show up for a job interview, let them know you're employed at a hardware store or wherever while waiting to find a position in your field. I think they'll correctly interpret this as the sign of someone who's willing to work hard to get ahead.

Good luck!

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I sat here for 5 minutes trying to come up with some words of encouragement. The only thing I can think of is to say that it could be worse. And, I would also like to take this opportunity to mention that the reason we have such high unemployment is that people keep buying Chinese crap. Start label shopping, Buy American, or at least buy from places other than China. I have started label shopping everything and I am hoping that I can make a difference. Boycott China.

Regarding the practice of advertising jobs that do not exist, well, she explained the concept to you- they do it to keep a fresh applicant pool. Seems like a waste of time to me, but what do I know?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Thrace

I don't know what state you are in, but here in Florida pharmacy techs are being arrested left and right, so there should be tons of openings!

Seriously, the Pill Mill problem has created a big gap and jobs that need filled. If you are honest and hard-working, perhaps you should move your trade to the Sunshine State.

Otherwise, I think there is actually some legislation in some states about not advertising a job that isn't available. It is a bait and switch type thing. They probably have some fancy language in there that makes it ok though.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
You should bug that Pharmacy Director every business day until you get the job.

At least it will make them (he/she) see what its like to be f--ked with.

Just bug the hell out of that Pharmacy Director/ business!! Drive them nuts!!

edit on 30-11-2011 by RUFFREADY because: had to take my meds...

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Sorry to hear of your story.

I would recommend a few things...

1. Fill out an application or Make a Resume *specifically* for the position you are applying for. Never add 'computer expert' to an application for a place that has nothing to do with computers. Being over-qualified intimidates managers when they find out you have more education than them.

2. Keep trying, the world seems to knock hard working people down sometimes, but failure is only temporary and success is a reality to those who never give up.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Thrace

I'm in the same boat sans the qualifications you mentioned.
I recently thought i had a very good job and then the day before the orientation i get a call telling me they had changed their mind.

It sucks i know. I have to wait till next week to get out there because i spent all of my money on preparing for this other job! I can't even afford a disposable razor to have a shave and i don't see the point in looking for a job if i can't be presentable.

I guess people like us have to just keep on trying, there's nothing else for it.
I think that not losing hope is the most important thing.

Goodluck friend, i feel for you, i honestly do.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUFFREADY

I would never employ someone bugging me for a job.
I don't suck up and I hate being sucked up on.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by User8911

woooo! I would then surly bug you alot!!

That's the ticket !!

But, in some cases it does work IMHO.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Im sorry to hear that my man its definitely pretty tough out there, my brother has been out of work for about a year and no one really wants to hire unless they pay min wage and with inflation you just cannot live off of that. It makes me scared to hear stories like this considering i only have 3 semesters left of college and if i dont get into law school then i have no idea what kinda careers are waiting for me. Just keep sending out apps like crazy and youll get picked up hopefully with a good pay. Goodluck on your travels and adventures.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by User8911

What if they just politely inquired every couple of days or so? Wouldn't you want to reward their tenacity and professionalism if you ever did have an opening? I would!

One caveat though. I will never hire someone that simply inquires by phone. That shows lack of effort in my opinion. If someone puts in an application and then stops by to make sure I got it, I will take them seriously, and take an extra moment to review their application personally. If they just pick up the phone and call in from their pajamas, their application goes in the giant stack with the rest, no special consideration.

(All the above is for retail/private industry. In my current position I'm impossible to contact in person, so it would have to be by phone or email.)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Thrace

Learn to swing a hammer, it's quite the useful skill.

The world can go to hell and people will still need stuff built as long as people exist.

The only way I survived until today is because I had to fall back to basic, get money small jobs from building houses, additions, roofing, painting, shelves etc. People will always need stuff built, shoveled and scraped, so the better you are at working with your hands the better off you are altogether. Just because you can do a lot "better", more profitable things doesn't mean you can't get dirty every once in a while and knock on a few doors.

Then, you've always got that to fall back on so you can pursue whatever dream you wish if you work hard enough... hopefully, well... not really you are going to need to get lucky too probably.
edit on 30-11-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Thanks everyone! Having all of you say kind things helps out a lot and no I am not going to bug the life out of the pharmacy director... Yes it sucks that it sounds like false advertising/bait and switch but it's not worth making someones day bad by ranting or bothering them.

I know I would never hire someone that bugged the life outta me.

My thing is I am 30 and all of my friends have decent jobs and lives of their own and I am struggling. Yeah I live at home with my parents (embarrassing at my age) but I have no other choice unless I want to starve and die on the streets. My mother sat with me today after the phone call I made and expressed how much she admires my courage but also stated the I among many are in the same boat together and it's just going to take time. I am thankful to have parents that don't mind me living with them but it's starting to pressure me since I am 30 and should be on my own.

Another sad thing is... even if I do get a job I can't afford to move out and make it on my own without a roommate or significant other.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Thrace

Don't move out and make it on your own. That is a mistake anyway. Combine resources with close friends or family. You'll get more amenities for less money and you can all live better.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Originally posted by User8911

What if they just politely inquired every couple of days or so? Wouldn't you want to reward their tenacity and professionalism if you ever did have an opening? I would!

One caveat though. I will never hire someone that simply inquires by phone. That shows lack of effort in my opinion. If someone puts in an application and then stops by to make sure I got it, I will take them seriously, and take an extra moment to review their application personally. If they just pick up the phone and call in from their pajamas, their application goes in the giant stack with the rest, no special consideration.

(All the above is for retail/private industry. In my current position I'm impossible to contact in person, so it would have to be by phone or email.)

Some people may not have the gas in their car to make personal visit's to everywhere they apply.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Thrace

Well you could (if fit) join the Navy. They have a rate that would fit your studies.

NAVY = petty officers was established as Pharmacist's Mate (PhM)

source=en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 30-11-2011 by RUFFREADY because: SPELLING

Students must be physically fit, and are required to practice giving IV's and other forms of medication to each other in the field. They train daily in all weather conditions, and must learn how to disassemble, clean, and reassemble their rifles. Any sailor not meeting the requirements to pass will be dropped from the program.

edit on 30-11-2011 by RUFFREADY because: just to find what I said about being "fit" I'm x-NAVY

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Thrace

True. I'm just saying, when I did a lot of hiring in the private industry, I was annoyed by phone calls and never gave them a second thought, but if someone showed up at my door, I pulled them in, pulled their application and gave it a look while they were still there in front of me. It might be worth the gas investment, even if you can only swing it by bus once a week or so. Spend a day hitting up 8 or 10 of the places you really want to work, and do it every Monday, or every Tuesday (not Friday).

Also, statistics show 70% of all business decisions are made before 11 a.m. When someone was at my door at 7 a.m. or 8 a.m., I knew they were punctual and serious, and able to be on time. When I used to sell radio advertising, I hit my biggest clients between 7 a.m. and 11 a.m. I spent the afternoon cold-calling or writing copy.

Don't bother anyone during lunch time, or on a Fri, Sat, or Sun.

So, hit them up weekly, in person, preferably in the morning time, and be polite and professional each time. There are no guarantees, but it can't hurt any.

Not knocking your previous approaches, you sound sincere in your attempts and that is the only reason I decided to comment. I'm just offering critical advice from an employer's point of view that might help a little.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join