It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

About to get started on Anti-Psychotic medication... need advice

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Seroquel makes me sleep like a baby, and goes very well with the effexor that I take on a daily basis. Just because it works for me doesn't mean it will work for you, however. There are so many different chemicals in the brain that tinkering with them tends to cause some trouble before you find the right combination. I am a raging insomniac, and can go for days and days before collapsing into a heap where ever I might land and be nearly comatose for hours on end before starting all over....and just because Seroquel works as an anti psychotic doesn't mean it doesn't have other uses as well. Like I said, it makes me sleep well, and I wake up without being groggy or feeling hung over! If anything, I feel a little more clear headed for its use. Just whatever you do, keep in good contact with your doctor, and tell him or her the very moment you don't feel right. Prozac turned me into a monster, Paxil turned me into a stark raving flaming bitch on steroids, and then effexor came along and now I'm a pussycat.... still have my claws, but I don't feel the need to use them nearly as often! Good luck, my dear.
edit on 30-11-2011 by volafox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by RenegadeScholar

Do not drink alcohol, EVER, while taking them. Eat clean foods, drink plenty water, exercise 4 days a week, consult w/ your dr before taking any supplements and have your blood tested regularly to ensure you at a safe level.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
As volafox said. "just because a combination of drugs works for him,it may not work for you."
Take that to the bank.

You mention your parents are involved in the decision with your doctor. I'd be VERY careful with that. That means your young enough to have them involved in these choices.

Substance abuse through prescription drugs is at an epidemic level now. Not just YOU, your classmates or friends will be happy to buy them from you. Are your parents going to hand them to you one at a time?
Or are you going to ignore the street dollar value and use them for proper medication?

I've seen more people abuse medication by choice, then use them for healing purposes if you can also get a "buzz" from them. (Not that more people don't succeed..I said what I've seen)

I personaly don't use valiums,zanux,ZYBAN(Yeah that quit smoking drug drove me NUTS in 3 days at low doses) or many other "high" inducing drugs by choice.
Even high blood pressure medicane is suspect if you ask me.

Be careful with your choices. Good luck.. Hope you make smart choices. Your mom and dad will have to trust what works best for you. Only you really know.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
dude...i'm "bi-polar" as crazy!!! i'm supposed to be on all kinds of meds. i'm not. took myself off years ago. i can maintain a job...a happy, healthy multi-year relationship...and pretty much everything else that "bi-polars" shouldn't be able to do when not medicated.

yes...i have mood swings. know what? i just learned to deal with them. not to say that don't cause problems but i've learned to realize when it's just a mood swing and it takes 80% of the steam out of my sails instantly. yeah...the meds sure do a nice job of making you complacent and accepting of pretty much anything...but be honest with yourself: are YOU happy when you're medicated? and that doesn't mean are you glad that the mood swings are more manageable...that means are you happier, overall, on meds? or do you feel less like yourself? feel like a part of you is dead?

i did. so i quit taking my meds. one of the best decisions of my life. now...i have to actually deal with my issues. go figure...

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by LaughingatHumanity
Anti-depressants/psychotics are nothing but poison that serve no purpose other than negatively altering brain chemistry.

To the OP...
So who you gonna listen to? Your doctor who has the medical training, personal interest and professional accountability or the ubiquitous 'some guy on the net' with no stake in the results? You may have to go through some trial and error to find a regimen that works for you...and you need to work with it as there is no real magic bullet, but ignore the clowns that tell you to eschew medication. It has given so many back their lives .

This clown was suicidally depressed, with high anxiety, agrophobia, and a list of other things.

RX didn't work on me. It made me worse. I felt like I was going to die after trying out wellbutrin once.

This clown listened to alternative professionals who cared A WHOLE LOT MORE than any of the allopathic doctors I've ever been to. This clown got well by changing his diet, and taking nutritional supplements.

You present a one-sided story that reeks of ignorance.

Plenty get much worse on medications. Funny you failed to mention that.

As a Veteran who came home with PTSD - I have tried a slew of things - and the pills made me worse, much worse. On prozac I tried to jump out of a moving car. I stopped that stuff - and it was crazy when I would tell the shrink - he would say oh you have to up your dose. I hate to say this but I believe these meds contribute to the very high suicide rate amoung young Veterans these days. For young people (under 24) there is more risk because your brain is literally still growning. I hope your parents are looking into all means of helping you and not just blindly trusting the white coats. Diet, environment - hell even pesticides can cause issues with our systems we still struggle to understand. It is a hard world we live in - and we must all fight for our individual soul survival.

I worry about you OP. Seriously. I know mental illness. Long ago I worked at a Psych Hospital for Adolecents - it was sad to see the effects of some of those heavy drugs of the past. Lithium I know has come up, I saw that it had very severe side effects on some individuals. Maybe you are not old enough to make personal decisions and get "all alternative" - but I can vouch for something you can do . . .

You can read - obvously - so look into meditation - from "Relaxation Response" - to others - this modiality is free, will help you - and does not have side effects. It takes time to master - but just keep working at it. If you find too many "voices" in your head trying to just be still and silent - find a mantra - what ever works for you. OM, Jesus, I am, Peace, what ever word strikes your fancy. One method that is kind of neat, run a bathtub full of water and get in and submerge your ears - notice you can hear your body? You can hear your breath - pull the air in - maybe cover one nostril at a time - back and forth inhale and exhale - and let the air go all the way down to your tummy and fill it like a balloon. There are countless guides online - even Youtubes - Yoga Nidra has helped many - because its left, right, left approach balances the brain. Balanced brains produce more alpha states. There so, so much to this, from brain horomone chemistry - to brain wave states - even sleep cycles can affect mental health of you are not progressing through normal sleep rythyms.

Educate, educate, educate. And please take care of youself. Involve your parents in your thought process, and if you find information about certain drugs - print it up - and discuss your concerns with them. I have looked at online med forums and discovered I was not alone in certain side effects, and also really researched some meds before trial and decided they were not for me.

Drugs - medications can save lives - but they can also take them . . .
It is difficult to decearn - even for adutls. Best of Luck to you on this Journey.
edit on 30-11-2011 by LittleBirdSaid because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
This clown was suicidally depressed, with high anxiety, agrophobia, and a list of other things.
RX didn't work on me. It made me worse. I felt like I was going to die after trying out wellbutrin once.
This clown listened to alternative professionals who cared A WHOLE LOT MORE than any of the allopathic doctors I've ever been to. This clown got well by changing his diet, and taking nutritional supplements.
You present a one-sided story that reeks of ignorance.
Plenty get much worse on medications. Funny you failed to mention that.

Yah...welbutrin me me feel worse, and my GP put me on Paxil, instead. It worked so well I naturally weaned myself without even noticing. The thing about these drugs is that they can be more focused to the individual, are more specific than the herbals and the dosage is a known quantity. Sorry it caused you grief, but a good doctor is also key.

Like I said...you can talk somebody out of allopathic medicine, but you are not accountable if the alternative proves to be a tragic, epic fail. You aren't betting your arse...you're betting somebody else's and walking away from the results. Sorry, I can't buy into that.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I have taken seroquel several times. My first advice is don't attempt to drive the morning after your first dose. It is a miracle I didn't fall asleep at the wheel taking the kids to school. I remember sleeping in the school parking lot a couple of times until they kicked me out for their recess.

Seroquel was one medication that put me in a happy frame of life even though a bad marriage made my life miserable.

Look forward to some serious weight gain from uncontrollable muchies.

If you go off your medication for awhile, don't go back on it without talking to your doctor. My son shoved a 200 mg. tab down my throat when he found out I quit taking it and I ended up in the ER.

As a general rule, don't go off your meds without talking to the doctor first. I was an idiot for doing that.

I started taking seroquel again last Fall and even the huge doses didn't knock me out. It was one bad episode.

Best wishes, my quality of life improved greatly on Seroquel hope it does the same for you.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Or in denial.

It is so much easier to stick your head in the sand isn't it?

If you were that bright you would provide a decent counter arguement as to why.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Or in denial.

It is so much easier to stick your head in the sand isn't it?

If you were that bright you would provide a decent counter arguement as to why.

Why what?

Counter argument to what?

Denial of WHAT?

I have no clue what you're trying to say here.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Fail.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Thank you.
And thank you to everybody who responsibly, competently and compassionately works in the psychiatric field. There are a LOT of bad apples, who cause a lot of harm. That however, takes nothing away from the merits of those who are good and heartfelt.
It is draining and hard, but I feel the pay off, (giving people the opportunity to a new life), must be worth it.
Your work is not in vain!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

I tired paxil as well. No dice.

Listen, you don't seem to see how much of a hypocrite you're being here.

We're doing the same thing.

You believe in the effectiveness of allopathic medicine. I believe in the effectiveness of certain alternative medical practices. We're both advocating what we feel/think is best, and dogging the other. Both can potentially save lives, and kill people off. I could essentially make the exact same argument you are...that by telling people not to try out alternatives, they are potentially losing their life. You see how easily this goes both ways?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Fail.

Come on now, are you six?

Grow up, loser.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I have a friend or two on them. I wouldn't recommend drinking alcohol with any anti-depressants. I have witnessed first hand the ill-affects. Depending what type, you may not remember anything. Heck even xanax and alcohol are a bad combo.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

Actually bipolars need advocates for the rest of their lives. Many bipolar caretakes are personal nurses, having to remind them to take meds, watching their behavior, and calling the doc when the bipolar swings too hard. Many have to talk to the doctor about their real behavior then how the bipolar perceives it.
It is quite a common thing for bipolars to tell the doc everything is fine when it isn't.
Just like Charlie Sheen and his winning comment. He was high on life. Meanwhile he lost his kids, lost his girlfriends and lost his job.
Just like so many comments on this board by people who went off their meds and are "just fine" and telling other people to do the same.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Your the one who claims to be so bright but can't follow a simple conversation.

Want me to spell it out for you step by step so you can understand your own response?
edit on 1-12-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Just found some interesting facts about schizophrenia
here
www.schizophrenia.com...

Anti-psychotic medications are the generally recommended treatment for schizophrenia. If medication for schizophrenia is discontinued, the relapse rate is about 80 percent within 2 years. With continued drug treatment, only about 40 percent of recovered patients will suffer relapses.( Source: NIMH)

So this says that the med's do help people.

www.imhro.org...
It is a great site this and interesting reading.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

No, I want you to answer the questions I asked.

You can also check you PM.

This is ridiculous. Don't want to troll this thread like you seem to be doing.

If you just want to bitch, go find someone else. You just seem to be wanting to fight me, for no damned reason.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

If bipolar disorder goes untreated and sufferers hit the manic stage and it is not controlled, it can go into a pseudo shchizphranic state, they will start hearing and seeing things.

I have witnessed this and its heartbreaking.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by VivaLaEvolution

Yes I have seen the some bad apples, but I don't think they started off as bad apple's, it's a very hard job and I think most people couldn't do it, By being in my job the chance of getting mentally ill ourselves is very high. I do think that some of the bad apples have developed a mental illness due to the stress of the job and then they take it out on the patients. What needs to be done when this happens is the person should realise what they are doing and either get help or leave the job.
Where I work they encourage us to talk to each other about what we see and If we are involved in something distressing we will be given time off and the chance to talk about it to a professional so it doesn't effect our own mental well being.
It helps if you have a good team and I love every single person I work with we hug each other before and after a shift and party hard together when we need to let off steam.
Because at the end of the day I have to trust each other member of staff because I may have to rely on them to save my own life and they rely on me in the same way.
On more than one occasion I can say that a member of staff has saved my life in my work.
Like I have said there are bad apples but we can make less if we demand better training, better working conditions and better comunication.
Cheers BM

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join