It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

About to get started on Anti-Psychotic medication... need advice

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnimositisominA

Originally posted by LaughingatHumanity
Anti-depressants/psychotics are nothing but poison that serve no purpose other than negatively altering brain chemistry. They are no more effective than placebo in true clinical trials and are simply a crutch pushed by an industry formed from the legacy of junk science founded by S.Freud and A. Crowley.

Your own mind is a far more powerful tool than any substance used to damage and subvert it. You can know peace simply through sheer will and learning how to be a master of your own self and personal balance and well being. Eat right, exercise, immerse yourself in things that interest you and learn the sheer power of mind and will over matter.

It's your own choice to rise above the problems you perceive and those that an industry based solely on profit and pushing pills would have you believe you are afflicted with.

Could you please back up your claim about Aleister Crowley? I only ask because your views on using sheer will tend to back up AC's perspective. It is the foundation of Thelema. Could you point me to anything that supports your contradiction. I am greatly interested in this.

I agree i want proof of where AC stands on that, I say this because my husband is a Thelemite, and I am soon to be one myself, and we have many friends who are also in that organization.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
As other posters have pointed out, coming to ATS for medical advice is maybe not as good as dealing with your personal physician, but from my own personal experience working in a mental health clinic, Seroquel has some nasty side effects. Expect to have a "flattened affect", a sleepy, detached demeanor, and a heck of a lot of weight gain.

All anti-psychotics, typical as well as atypical, can cause tardive dyskenesia, which is involuntary, weird movements like smacking your lips, making weird faces, constant eye blinking, and arms and legs moving constantly. You can also get tardive akathisia, which feels like a constant need to fidgit and the inability to be still. These are neurological in nature, so the lowest possible dose of Seroquel for the least amount of time is indicated. Therefore, it is not a long-term solution, but rather a stabilizing drug to get you mellowed out and on an even keel.

You should also have your parents discuss with your doctor the deaths that have been associated with this drug, most notably because this drug is used in conjunction with other drugs and has been implicated in deaths of soldiers with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder who were prescribed a cocktail of anti-psychotics and tranquilizers to keep them from flipping out after they came back home.

Most psychiatric drugs have side effects, so it is an art to prescribe them effectively to get the desired effect without all the dreadful side effects. Your parents should do a great deal of research before accepting what the doctor prescribes you. Education about these drugs, their interactions with each other, and how they will affect your brain, whether temporarily or permanently, is the key, because most doctors do not have the time to do independent research, so they get their information from drug representatives, who have a financial stake in pushing the drugs they sell.

Best of luck to you.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I dont doubt you help many people there.Im not doubting you or what you do but I doubt the people you work for and they work for.There has been loads of staff at the hospital Ive been to that are really nice,really care and Im only grateful for them people where I were. But they didnt (wrongly) diagnose or prescribe and then its not just them its those who told them,,that I doubt and very angry with.

8% pfft figures

There are 2 sides and he can still make his own decision and hope its right for him whatever it is.

I cant remember saying my mental state is better but yeh it is and thanx.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Alienmindflare

It's horrid that you were diagnosed and prescribed the wrong Medication but it happen's in normal medicine all the time too, and seeing that Mental illness is a lot harder to diagnose and treat it will happen, I wish it wouldn't but the drug companies/doctors/nurse's ect don't want to make mistakes because the the drug companies will lose money, the Researchers/Doctors/Nurses will lose credibility and don't forget guilt, I have seen nurse's cry their eye's out because they gave someone a wrong dose of med's.(turned out fine they gave a lower dosage)
We are all human and make mistakes.
But don't say because they didn't work for you they don't work for anyone because they do. Cancer treatments don't work for everyone do they? You wouldnt call them all poison would you? but it is still worth trying them because it may work.
Iam sorry it didn't work for you honest with all my heart.
Gee wiz sometimes I just wished I worked in Tesco's

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Seroquel is a very popular drug prescribed by physicians for bi-polar and a host of other medical conditions, such as depression, etc. It is almost kind of a "catch-all" drug to treat a variety of symptoms and mental health issues. A lot of my clients who take Seroquel have very significant drowsiness as a side effect, but you would have to take it for a while yourself to know if it would cause the same effect for you.
edit on 30-11-2011 by jburg6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Watch GenerationRX first. Become aware of the issues for and against and seriously talk to your doctor about these concerns.

Seems from what you said your first round of med's haven't done anything...and now they want to put you on even more powerful/f'd up chemicals. I'd be researching like mad before I took any highly over prescribed, mind altering/imbalancing med from powerful Pharma companies.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by RenegadeScholar

They do reduce your emotion and intellect, exactly what these meds are meant to do, If you feel like walking around like a veggie all day then go ahead.

I too was on these meds when i was 13-16 i recently stopped them and with a daily dose of meditation found my true self and realize i didn't have to go through all the stress and anxiety i experienced every day.

You can make your reality (to a extent). I was going under stress from grades, school work and little stuff, i realized none of that stuff matters at all and i could be perfectly happy going off into the wilderness and living a simple life when i leave high school. i have came a long way in 1 year and when i look back i think how foolish.

Those experiences molded me into what i am today.

I live moment to moment now and i realize that when the time come all my work will pay off.

P.S Meditate

Peace and Love

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Most information you hear about the pineal gland is pseudo science. Many people have able pineal glands, unless they're an insomaniac. Chakras are never affected by any medication. Chakras are energy points in your body. Again the medication wont affect your chakras and pineal gland.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Hey bro, I suggest not taking any form of medication like that, It doesn't help you in any way. The only thing it is helping is the pharmaceutical companies wallet!!! You have to take the medication for long periods of time or in defiantly, and 9 times out of 10 the medication wont work or it will make you feel even worse.
But when you go back to the doctor about the problem he/she will have another 100 other medications for anti-depressants / bi-polar. I have had my fair share of experiences on anti-depressants and it made me a hell of a lot worse than when I was off them. If anything is going to help you I strongly suggest doing Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, It sounds really loopy but its not, its just about changing your negative thoughts that bring you down into more positive thought that bring you up
Seriously ask your doctor about that. Stay away from anti-depressants.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

The mood swings and depression if that is the extent of the problem I have seen miraculously disappear when a person started running each day, only a half mile and half mile walk and not one day was there depression or anxiety!! if you like exercise i would try this before anything else. She was off all med.s in months and finally happy!

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

You might like to check this site: Alternative mental Health. An excellent site with list of medication and what they can do to you, alternatives, physical causes of mental problems and what tests to ask for to rule them out etc etc.

Conservative estimates say that at least 10% of mental problems are caused by organic illness/nutritional deficiencies. Some studies indicate it may be as high as 40%. Well worth looking into.

And if there is no physical cause, at least the excellent information will help you make wise choices for medication.

Hope this helps. Good luck, and hope you get better soon.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I have never posted anything in my many years reading this site, but I really feel I should post now...so, here it goes...

A LOT of people on ATS tend to be incredibly against medication for most conditions, particularly psychological ones. My personal belief is, many of them would greatly benefit from said medication.

Please excuse my long winded post, but I feel you need to hear an honest success story amid all the negativity that you will be fed here.

However, my boyfriend has been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia as a 16 year old and has been sent from one awful clinic/doctor to the next. They basically experimented on him, because his mother didn't really know any better nor feel the need to do anything about it.
The main medication though was Risperidol, which didn't really help. It actually made matters worse.

When I met him later, at age 23 he was off his meds, but in a phase where he didn't have any psychotic episodes. He only had some mild facial ticks, which I personally thought were related to some previous injury. I suggested a neurological examination and he agreed. We didn't get to go because about 4-5 weeks into our relationship, he started hearing voices.

Threatening, evil voices cursing at him and telling him all kinds of awful things about his father especially. He at some point also thought he had an antenna on/in his head, so evil extraterrestrials could locate him.

He would roam the streets, screaming at the voices to shut up and leave him alone. He could not stay in the house for more than 5 minutes...I walked with him most of the time, as I thought some one might feel threatened by his screaming and call the cops have him taken to some asylum like institution where they would continue their experimenting and lord know what else they would do.

I slept briefly, in full clothing and shoes so I could fallow him when he would just up and go. Running after him at 3 am, through the snow, in a t-shirt and socks taught me that lesson.

Meanwhile, I was scouting for a GOOD psychiatrist for him and a GOOD clinic.YES, THERE IS SUCH THING!

When I finally found one, after a long search aided by my mother who is a physician, I took him there and I aswel as him fell in love with the place and especially the doctor.

They kept him there 4 weeks. I went to visit him every day. Luckily I am self employed and have the type of flexible occupation.
I noticed a change after the 1st week. A SIGNIFICANT change after 2 1/2-3.

When he got out, there were no voices, no antennas, no screaming or roaming or anything else. Just somewhat sleepy for about 6 weeks.
One more thing was, he would hold on to me while we slept like scared baby. After about 2 months that stopped too.

He has been given (and taking until this very day), Olanzapine at night and Aripiprazol in he morning.

He is not sleepy or strange in any way, he is not some weird android like being . He is who he was before the break out and who he was always supposed to be.

It's been two years now.

Nobody who doesn't know would think he has any psychological issues. At least not any more then the next person.
He has gained some weigth, but other than that, there are no side effects and his blood tests are great.

I don't know if the Seroquel is the right medication for you, but if you trust the doctor who prescribed it, by all means take it and see how you feel.

Generally Neuroleptica, ( most antip-sychotic- antidepressants), take up to 6-8 weeks for your body to get used to it and the substance to take full effect.
It is usually best when you can spend the 1st couple of weeks in a controlled environment, so if you can and know a clinic you feel comfortable with, may be you should give that some consideration.

Lithium is/was a great thing for it's time, but there definitely ARE several and strong side effects. The new generation of substances tends to be a lot better.

Many people will tell you that those who are on psycho-medication are constantly in and out of clinics and/or doing bad.
The reason for that is simply that A LOT of people do not take their meds as they should and/or drink alcohol and may be even take other "substances".

There is a stigma attached to psychological problems, and that is so sad, because really there should be no difference made between a person with a chemical imbalance in his pancreas, (i.e. a diabetic) and a person with a chemical imbalance in his or her brain.

I wish you nothing but the best and hope the medication is right for you or that you will find the one that is.
I also hope that my story helped you a little bit. I don't usually share it, but if it can even remotely help any one reading it, I feel I have to.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

First, please go to a psychiatrist who understands bipolar disorder. the wrong meds can wreak havok.

If bipolars take anti depressants when they are not stablized,. the AD can throw them into a full blown manic episode.

In fact, some psys use this as a diagnostic tool.

Secondly, you should be started on a mood stabilizer first. Then after a few weeks, put on the anti pychotic.

I think seroquel makes you sleepy, so take it at night.

It is hard to find the right cocktail for you. So you may end up trying different dosages and med combinations.

It can take five years to get someone with bipolar disorder stabilized.

If you need any help, please let me know.

But please get away from the GP and go to a psychiatrist.

Your emotions will diminish. Because bipolar means being inundated with feelings and emotions and thoughts you can't handle.

If you feel totally flatlined, talk to the doc about lowering the dose.

edit on 30-11-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LaughingatHumanity

You have any proof for this new age bunk?

do you have any idea how these medications work?

Do you have any experience with severe mental health disorders?

Or are you prattling off information from some hippie newsletter?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by thejlxc
reply to post by boymonkey74

Going from the most loving and happy person I've known in a very long time, to leaving her children to go in therapy and start a new life, all the while on those drugs that changed her personality immediately and so far, permanently. She's been up there 4 months. She just got a job up there. She doesn't want her family to move there.

I see problems with this and feel powerless to boot. I told you so isn't enough.

That is typical bipolar disorder I am afraid. That is why they call it bipolar, because the person you know can suddenly change into someone you don't.

Join a support group so you can understand the madness, or at least knowthat it is pretty typical.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alienmindflare

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
It has given so many back their lives .

And its took 1000's more

Psychiatric disorders like bipolar disorder have a 25-30% suicide rate. The disease is destructive on its own.

When not medicated properly, it can make a sufferer even more so. When medicated properly, it can mean the difference between life and death.

Despite what people think, most bipolars commit suicide when they are manic, not as much when depressed.

Why? Because they have very little impulse control when manic. They also feel wonderful and euphoric, hence the reason they don't think they need meds, it is when they need them the most.

Any bipolar who is singing praises about getting off meds is a bomb waiting to happen, like the destruction of Charlie Sheen. That was a major manic episode played out in public.

So lack of impulse control, the brain isn't able to regulate and control emotions and thoughts.

And I have met plenty of widows whose spouses just walked down the stairs and shot themselves over petty arguements, to "show them".

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
And its took 1000's more

Psychiatric disorders like bipolar disorder have a 25-30% suicide rate. The disease is destructive on its own.

When not medicated properly, it can make a sufferer even more so. When medicated properly, it can mean the difference between life and death.

Despite what people think, most bipolars commit suicide when they are manic, not as much when depressed.

Why? Because they have very little impulse control when manic. They also feel wonderful and euphoric, hence the reason they don't think they need meds, it is when they need them the most.

Any bipolar who is singing praises about getting off meds is a bomb waiting to happen, like the destruction of Charlie Sheen. That was a major manic episode played out in public.

Any eh,

Yeah, right.

I'm too damned bright to believe that nonsense..
edit on 30-11-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by VivaLaEvolution

Thanks for posting that heart felt comment.
Iam going to quit this thread now because it is draining me (It feels like Iam at work) and it feels like Iam on a losing team sticking up for what I think help folk.
Look everyone read VivaLaEvolutions post, that gives me a warm glow inside because it helps me feel like Iam doing some good in my work.
Read my advice what I have posted and I hope you will understand what Iam saying and to anyone who is touched by mental illness my heart goes out to you all and I hope you get thru the tough times and have a wonderful life, enjoy it and stay safe,
Together we can get rid of the stigma of mental health and bring in a new dawn of mental wellbeing.
Also I want to thank Nixi nox for her posts and she does have a very good understanding of bi-polar.
Cheers all hope you have a great xmas BMxx
Ps if you have any questions just PM me.
PPS But above all don't just read Threads like this and make up your mind, ask the people trained in the field like you would for any other illness.
edit on 30-11-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Get off all of them. You're destroying your mind and soul.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I've been prescribed Seroquel before, and am also a highly artistic person with similar concerns.

Initially, you may feel a little "foggy", but it wears off after your body adjusts to it and you will most likely find yourself able to work through your artistic projects at a more refined level.

Hope this helps.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join