It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear Americans: A lesson in proper English.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Only watch this whilst drinking heavily and whence commencing a vigorous anticlockwise spin on your seat.

Then type a response in proper English.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

link   
reply to post by steveknows

I mean the guys teeth would be perfect for an ad- vertise - ment from the sergeon general.
Did he just chew R.J. Reynolds out of business or what ? No doubt everything he eats turns to crap.
Whether he swallows or not.

link   
I have been ridiculed a few times for spelling defense as defence (the way it is spelled) and color and colour (the way it is also spelled) on these forums. After that I simply sighed and though to myself "Americans".

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by 31Bravo

I think it's pretty obvious the thread is very tongue-in-cheek and no-one's taking it very seriously. There's only one person here that's annoying and irritating people. I suspect the mods will be saying hello to you shortly.

"I have more intelligence in my thumb than you got in your head" isn't the mark of an intelligent, insightful person. Post something useful, something funny, or go go away.

Please, have your "not getting the point of the thread" award back.

And, to answer your question, most of "us" British find some of your American quirks entertaining, irritating or odd, hence the video I posted. We're not worried about you anymore than the rest of the world is.
edit on 25/11/11 by eightfold because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan
An as*hole that somehow thinks that material things define a people or civilization??!!!

You are surely very young, and a spoiled American brat that the rest of the world hates!
Thanks for that!

You have much to learn, I only hope your arrogance will not prevent you from learning the lessons that will make you into a man before it is too late.

God's speed!

SherlockHolmes posted:

I don't give a toss what your ''Canadian friends'' think.

Canada, like Australia and New Zealand, and many other Commonwealth countries, are nothing more than eminently viable outposts of the British Empire which never went away.

Perhaps you should ask your Canadian friends just why they're happy to still be - quite literally - pwned by Queen Elizabeth II and the United Kingdom ?

That's not rude? Whose side are you on anyway? I'm confused if you're on the hunt for sympathy stars or what.. I have made it clear that I'm only joking. The statement I made held just as much water as SHerlock's comment about the U.S. being English-Lite.. dude seriously get your panties out of a wad. Thanks in advance

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by 31Bravo
I will say this thread shows that England worries too much about the U.S. and not themselves. The joke almost immediately is back on the British.. why do you care so much about us? We have made it perfectly clear we're not English over the last 200 yrs.. why does it matter? (serious question)
edit on 25-11-2011 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

Bravo
Hey put your history hat on ace. Do the words tea party mean anything to you? Non modern day, go back like more than 200 yrs. Boston ? Hello ?

Their still pretty bent about that one I think.
edit on 25-11-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by eightfold
reply to post by 31Bravo

I think it's pretty obvious the thread is very tongue-in-cheek and no-one's taking it very seriously. There's only one person here that's annoying and irritating people. I suspect the mods will be saying hello to you shortly.

"I have more intelligence in my thumb than you got in your head" isn't the mark of an intelligent, insightful person. Post something useful, something funny, or go go away.

Please, have your "not getting the point of the thread" award back.

And, to answer your question, most of "us" British find some of your American quirks entertaining, irritating or odd, hence the video I posted. We're not worried about you anymore than the rest of the world is.

I wasn't trying to offend anyone like I said before, obviously this is more of a British thread/discussion.. if you can't have your culture joked about you should hesitate on making threads like this. I think it's funny that out of all the posts written in this thread is highly geared towards the "stupid American" and TV shows and what not.. I post something funny about the "oh so perfect British nation" BEHOLD! I'm not welcome.. sounds like a double standard to me

Thanks for reinforcing the reason we started the succession from that good 'ol unsporting and controlling British mind set.. apparently things still haven't changed

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Yea yea..
I get your point but apparently I'm not allowed to joke back so sorry I ruined your night. I'm out

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
We speak US English.

Remember we kicked you out in 1776

Then we had to save your a** during WW2.

Now we own you

You guys should be speaking gaelic anyway
en.wikipedia.org...

Na Seumasaich
edit on 25-11-2011 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
As a Proud American concerned with the improper use of our shared language I say "Hear Hear!" to my British Brother in Arms.
Put a Southern accent courtesy of my Florida Heritage on the "could care less" segment and He could be me

Though I must confess I suffer from an acute and cronic case of mispelling. It's a constant struggle I must fight on my own

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by eightfold

The British don't have any ties to classic or old English then Americans do. In fact the American accent would be considered closer. They have both have changed equally.

Get over it.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by 31Bravo

Oh come on, no need to start be'in a lady now. Don't let these droolers run you off. Damn it man you're an american. Time we all started acting like one don't you think ?
edit on 25-11-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by steveknows
Oh you've "watched" it have you? Never been brave enough to play it?

''Brave enough'' ? Behave yourself !

I have no wish to play Aussie Rules. It's a really, really gay sport.

I'll stick to rugby union. At least I'm safer in the showers.

edit on 25-11-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sylvie
I have a British friend who also adds a pronounced "r" onto many words; I believe it's a general Brit thing. E.g., "I have an idear"; "Yesterday I sawr a good movie"; etc.

That's strange. I've never met anyone who's done that with the exception of a few folks in the Carolinas and in Georgia.

But I have heard many English folks drop "r"s like it's going out of style. I don't consider it any more "propuh" than the pronunciation of many other English speakers. . . but depending on who's speaking it can be a strain on my ears. I've gotten used to Piers Morgan speaking, but on the other hand, Reshma Shetty (as attactive as she is as an actress), has an accent strong enough to be disagreeable to my ears. It's amazing I have survived the third season of "Royal Pains" - if it were not for the great storylines, I would've forgotten about the series midway through the first season.

Before I get sidetracked any further, I forgot to mention earlier - and I've always wanted to say this. . . "Z" is a letter, "Zed" is a guy's name. ;-) And, I'll take "color", "humor", "center", and "meter" - I'm not French, so I should not spell English words as the French do.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Wow, this Red Coat thread is still going strong! Don't you Brits have a Gypsy/Pikey problem? :p

Do you have anymore videos of Brits making fun of Americans? I actually think they are quite splendid.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by 31Bravo

Oh come on, no need to start be'in a lady now ? Don't let these droolers run you off. Damn it man you're an american. Time we all started acting like one dont you think ?

Yea I wasn't trying to offend people, I was trying to make them laugh.. I'm not trying to offend just dishing out haha apparently I'm too good at it?

ETA: Yea you're right.. re-edited my posts.. to think I was going to apologize pfft.. I'm American! I even hate the letter "U" and they want me to put it in my words?!

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Sorry Eightfold, but Scotland's very own Limmy aka Brian Limond got there first! And does it better!

edit on 25-11-2011 by HallamFoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by riddle6

Thanks, chief. I was basically trying to tell Sherlock Holmes the same exact thing in the safest way possible earlier.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join