It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear Americans: A lesson in proper English.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
i know we spell everything correctly because it is called english, the english way to spell english words will always be the correct way.
now lets see the americans spell a welsh word.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
Ice hockey - sorry, ''hockey'':

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c72fd3a9c818.jpg[/atsimg]

Of course, basketball, as well:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/04bb2a0e9a62.jpg[/atsimg]

There appears to be a common trend in these US sports...

Basketball was "invented" in Canada and Hockey is definitely more of a national past time of Canada.

That has always been in sports, just now television shows it pretty good across the globe. The after game in English Beckham ("football") matches probably show these manly men true sexual loyalties. Hugh Grant plays his cards right and gets it on with negro prostitutes so he can avoid the controversial discussions.
edit on 25-11-2011 by MarkScheppy because: add

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by JadedTree

i really wasn't refering to anyone, i was just stoking the fire as it were.
the op was clearly some lighthearted fun, i think we should all remember that.
pls remember that sarcasm is much more prevalent in england.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by eightfold

I have often wished we could put the U back in color, but doing so will get you one of two possible reactions. Number one, you are likely to get corrected and told that color doesn't have a U. Two, you will be seen as pretentious.

I like colour because the word seems more colorful and less silly that way. Color makes me think of crayons.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
I never understood why the British pronounce "aluminum" as "aluminium".
There is no second "i" in the word...

edit on 11/25/2011 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

Yes there is. It's spelled both ways.
edit on 25-11-2011 by steveknows because: Typo

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
When Simon Cowell stops referring to Paula Abdul as "Pauler"

How would you pronounce it ?

I don't watch Pop Idol/X-Factor or any of those kind of TV shows, but I'm genuinely interested as to how the name ''Paula'' could be pronounced in any way differently to ''Paul'' with an ''a'' on the end ?

edit on 25-11-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimosa
reply to post by JadedTree

the op was clearly some lighthearted fun, i think we should all remember that.
pls remember that sarcasm is much more prevalent in england.

Everyone still IS having fun.. just because I poke back at you guys about your ridiculous ways doesn't mean I hate you.. it just means I don't like you very much

Come to America..
better yet come to my house when my family is in town our sarcasm would make you want to cry. I think I could handle sarcasm in England.. try a New Yorker.. haha New Jersey.. "sarcasm prevelant in England" that's funny.

This would be you minus the Call Of Duty.
edit on 25-11-2011 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
When Simon Cowell stops referring to Paula Abdul as "Pauler"

How would you pronounce it ?

I don't watch Pop Idol/X-Factor or any of those kind of TV shows, but I'm genuinely interested as to how the name ''Paula'' could be pronounced in any way differently to ''Paul'' with an ''a'' on the end ?

edit on 25-11-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

"Paul" + "ah".

To most Americans, "Pauler" sounds a lot like "parlor", as in, I'm going to go and sit in the parlor now.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by 31Bravo

edit on 25-11-2011 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkScheppy

Ice hockey - sorry, ''hockey'':

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c72fd3a9c818.jpg[/atsimg]

Of course, basketball, as well:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/04bb2a0e9a62.jpg[/atsimg]

There appears to be a common trend in these US sports...

Basketball was "invented" in Canada and Hockey is definitely more of a national past time of Canada.

That has always been in sports, just now television shows it pretty good across the globe. The after game in English Beckham ("football") matches probably show these manly men true sexual loyalties. Hugh Grant plays his cards right and gets it on with negro prostitutes so he can avoid the controversial discussions.
edit on 25-11-2011 by MarkScheppy because: add

Actually south Amercian indians used to play a game with two teams trying to get control of a ball and pass it through a hoop but rather than being at either end the hoops were on either side of the court. The losers got their heads cut off. That was before Canada was Canada or the U.S was the U.S

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Here's another one that grates:

US English: I could use a coffee.

So how exactly are you going to ''use'' it ? It's a drink of coffee, so you're really only going to drink it.

Why not just say ''I could drink a coffee'' ? Or, as that sounds a bit awkward, why not just make a simple, clear and concise statement along the lines of: ''I would like a coffee'' ?!

:bnghd:

In all honesty, the only time I've ever heard someone say "I could use a coffee" was when I was watching BBC. If anything, people here would say "I could use some coffee", or "I need some coffee".

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg
i know we spell everything correctly because it is called english, the english way to spell english words will always be the correct way.
now lets see the americans spell a welsh word.

Ang on gov! Isn't the English spoken today a cross between old English and Norman? So which correct English are you refering to?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimosa
reply to post by 31Bravo

edit on 25-11-2011 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

Cool 15 sec vid of a brit in America venting his distaste on English TV of being stupid enough to forget to fill his car up at the gas station 2 miles back, having to fill up his tank with mini gas cans..
thanks

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Per Eliza Doolittle:

Just yew white 'Enry 'iggins, Just yew white!

By the way... Correct pronunciation is: Al"yew"mini"yum. Not Aluminum, as it is spelled.

And out of curiosity... Does "Colour" have the same pronunciation proclivity as "Col" "hour"?

Just ever so slightly Curineeous in an Alumineeyum sort of way... Want to clear it up while we're down here holding down the fort. lOL!

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by steveknows
Actually south Amercian indians used to play a game with two teams trying to get control of a ball and pass it through a hoop but rather than being at either end the hoops were on either side of the court. The losers got their heads cut off. That was before Canada was Canada or the U.S was the U.S

That sport needs to come back! And apply it to losers on the wacked show American Idol, cut off their heads.

Sports today are way too tame. I would like a show more like the hunting opponents show out the woods, like Predator. Give Britany spears, gaga, Aguilera, Justin Timberlake a gun and throw them out in the woods. See how long they can last while a group of redneck professional hunters come after them as sport. Gladiator style of fun ole family entertainment.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

oxford english dictionary standards will do, we know language has evolved. our language has many old roots.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkScheppy

Who cares which one of the two North American countries are supposed to have ''invented'' these ''sports'' ?

You're ignoring the fact that these ''sports'' were invented in Britain, but corrupted and contaminated by people in these colonial outposts.

What you're also ignoring is that the USA is generally considered to be England-lite, and Canadians are generally well known to be slavish servants to the British Crown.

Just as we like it.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Who cares which one of the two North American countries are supposed to have ''invented'' these ''sports'' ?

You're ignoring the fact that these ''sports'' were invented in Britain, but corrupted and contaminated by people in these colonial outposts.

What you're also ignoring is that the USA is generally considered to be England-lite, and Canadians are generally well known to be slavish servants to the British Crown.

Just as we like it.

Th' Rhine in Spine stays mainly on the Pline... Oih Think She's Go' it!!!! LOL!

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Just as we like it.

Th' Rhine in Spine stays mainly on the Pline... Oih Think She's Go' it!!!! LOL!

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join