It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Octopus crawls out of water and walks on dry land...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

If you're curious to learn more about the sea creature's possible motivation, there has been some great research on the understanding of octopus intelligence recently, including this surprisingly moving article in Orion magazine, chronicling a researchers bond with a giant Pacific octopus named Athena.

As it turns out, walking on land in the octopus kingdom is not as unique as you might think:

Some would let themselves be captured, only to use the net as a trampoline. They'd leap off the mesh and onto the floor—and then run for it. Yes, run. "You'd chase them under the tank, back and forth, like you were chasing a cat," [Middlebury College researcher Alexa] Warburton said. "It's so weird!"

Octopuses in captivity actually escape their watery enclosures with alarming frequency. While on the move, they have been discovered on carpets, along bookshelves, in a teapot, and inside the aquarium tanks of other fish—upon whom they have usually been dining.

However, it's quite unusual to capture video of a walking octopus in action. Part of the reason that studies on the creatures have been so limited, aside from their brief three-year life spans, is that they are notoriously shy, usually avoiding contact not only with humans, but with any other creatures, including fellow octopi.

I'm not sure how to embed the video from Yahoo but I found it quite interesting. If you ask me, this is evolution at it's best or proof of it anyway.
edit on 23-11-2011 by chrismicha77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Is this it

link   
That's awesome lol, they are indeed the smartest creature of the sea.

Expect something along the lines of "Nothing to do with evolution, GOD made it walk on land".

link   
reply to post by tarifa37

YES....thank you! How did ya do it?

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
The full video
www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismicha77
reply to post by tarifa37

YES....thank you! How did ya do it?

Just searched for it on youtube as they can be embedded here .

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

Expect something along the lines of "Nothing to do with evolution, GOD made it walk on land".

Yeah right, if you are dismissing God then you are saying it is just natural selection and hardly a reflection on the intelligence of this lump of meat

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

As opposed to the "everything came form nothing" theory lol j/k

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
when younger i was always afraid of the "ugly" octopus.
but since i know them I started to admire them; they are clever, can open jars,
are amazing in camouflage (it s really hard to spot them underwater)
can squeeze through tiny little holes
and can walk over land

check these out:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

Very cool, and I love the musical vid from tarifa too!
I just read about the 6 smartest animals on the planet and the octopus was included. The motivation for the one in the first vid may be to try an escape from the confinement!
Looks pretty surreal applying it's water adapted physiology to land and air.

Peace,
spec

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Actually I would say that whales and dolphins are probably the smartest animals in the Sea........

Octopi are interesting creatures tho, the ability they have to fit into nearly anything is amazing

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
The minions of Cthulhu are trying to butter us up and keep us from suspecting the uprising of their dead but dreaming god....who will soon awaken and wipe humanity off the face of the earth!!!

Just kidding.... I love octopi, finding them so very interesting! They're smarter than so many give them credit for, and perhaps it is for the best that their lives are so short... or else, humans just might discover a new competitor for lead species on earth!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

Very cool, kinda creepy. I thought they needed water to breathe, like a fish.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Awesome video. The video recorder guy was an ass thought. The friendly octopus just wanted to give them a gift crap but the cameraman just backs away. Not very polite

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I'd be much less scared if a dolphin walked on land. Now if a giant octipus knocks on my front door and eats me....now that's scary!!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I have become absolutely fascinated with octopuses lately! They are fascinating and extremely intelligent creatures.
It sure does look like that one came out to give those people a crab.

They have three hearts and blue blood. They've shown to have both short and long term memory, can learn mazes and puzzles, and mimic behavior. If it wasn't so hard to have a tank they can't figure out how to escape from, I'd love to have one as a pet!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
They have three hearts and blue blood. They've shown to have both short and long term memory, can learn mazes and puzzles, and mimic behavior.

And it's fun to throw them on the Ice at a Red Wings game

At least they serve a purpose this way

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85

Originally posted by Bluesma
They have three hearts and blue blood. They've shown to have both short and long term memory, can learn mazes and puzzles, and mimic behavior.

And it's fun to throw them on the Ice at a Red Wings game

At least they serve a purpose this way

I believe those were just squids.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Not sure I get it. Octopuses are amazing creatures. But they've been able to walk on land since, well for as long as man has been studying them. Saw it for myself in grade school. That was a long time ago. Not saying exactly how long tho.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Oh sure. Real neat. Tell that to San Francisco.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 11/23/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join