It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Why Linux is Better than Windows

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Hello, all, computer repairman here. I work on at least 3 computers per week, and 90% of these have either a virus, a trojan horse, or malware/spyware. The rest usually have either BIOS or hardware issues. I also read in this form about a lot of problems, usually associated with Microsoft products.As I write this, I am loading Windows XP onto a laptop for an old lady who likes to play games. Well, yesterday, she downloaded Spider Solitaire, and sadly, the download had a bad nasty thing that came with it. Soon she could not do anything, her little Gateway had locked up completely. She had to do a hard shut down, which is never good on a Windows machine. When I got it, it had a new Administrator account with a locked password. the Windows Registry was locked also.

There are many reasons Linux is better than Windows, her are just 10.

Security - Linux is Open Source Software, while Windows is not.
The simplest benefits of Open Source Code to demonstrate are increased security, reliability and functionality; because users of Open Source are readily able to identify and correct problems with the programs and to submit their own enhancements for incorporation into the program. Closed Source systems enjoy none of those benefits.

Scalability - Systems implemented under Linux can be cloned limitless times without paying additional software licensing fees - With Windows, you pay for each installation/workstation/server/cpu.

Power - Linux is made with the Unix design philosophy, which dictates that system tools are small and highly specialized. The result is an incredibly powerful and reliable system, limited in capability only by the user's imagination and ability to integrate the Unix utilities. The Windows philosophy is to create unwieldy swiss army knives, limited in capability by how many features the user purchased on their particular knife. Diminished reliability is arguably a side effect of increased complexity. Thus with Windows, the case is often that you have tools that ALMOST do what you want them to, if they didn't crash.

Reliability - The architecture of Linux is superior to Windows because critical operation system functions are implemented in such a way that buggy programs can't cause the computer to become unstable and crash. In fairness, though not quite as robust as Linux, Windows 2000 and Windows XP are much improved over Windows 9x and Windows Millenium Edition.

Advanced Capabilities - In addition to the system utility tools from the Unix world, Linux usually comes with the Apache Webserver, an email server, router/firewall capabilities and SQL databases. These are extras costing up to thousands of dollars on Windows. There IS free software to do these jobs on Windows, but it has mostly been adapted from Linux and loses some functionality when ported to Windows.

Compatibility - Linux is POSIX Compliant which means that applications developed for Linux can be operated on other POSIX compliant Unix derivatives with a minimum of reworking.

Support - For persons not familiar with the Open Source Community, the quality of free technical support on the internet may come as a shock. Sometimes knowing enough to ask the right questions can be a problem, but overall the best and the brightest are there to assist you at no charge when you run into problems that can't be solved by reading the documentation included with Linux. With Windows or other commercial software, your manufacturer support is only free for a limited time and is often of little value anyways.

Not Single Source Software - Linux is distributed by several companies, giving consumers to pick and choose the flavor that best suits their needs. Windows is the product of a single company, Microsoft Corporation. Windows users have no choice but to accept what Microsoft offers.

Rate of Advancement - Linux has and will continue to advance at a rate impossible for a close development project such as Microsoft Windows to sustain. A few factors driving this rate of progress are (in no particular order): the number of active developers; quantity and quality of feedback from the field; short development cycle from development team to the end user; absence of corporate "meddling" in the design process; independently developed open source subsystems frequently incorporated into Linux, giving it quantum advances in a short time.

Cost - That Linux is FREE deserves honorable mention and a bit of explanation. You can package and sell Linux for money. The competing Linux distributions all provide slightly different feature sets beyond the core system, including canned e-commerce solutions, printed manuals and phone support options. There is no rule that says you can't make money distributing Linux. For those who choose to download and install free distributions from the Internet, Linux is truely free. Some cynics have proclaimed, "Sure Linux is free now, but the Linux People will start charging for it once it catches on!". That statment is completely false. No single person or organization controls Linux, so that will never happen. In the unlikely case that Linus Torvalds (the author of Linux) adds some proprietary code and proclaims that all future releases will be $99.99USD, someone will simply take the latest "free" version and possibly rename it to Spin-UX. Then all the volunteer developers and contributors will jump on that bandwagon. Spin-UX will diverge from its Linux roots, over time becoming better supported and more advanced, rendering its ancestor obsolete, except possibly for purposes specifically addressed by that hypothetical proprietary added code. Furthermore Linux is covered by the Gnu Public License, stating that it and all derivative works must be distributed with the source code. This makes it extremely unlikely that anyone will wield monopolistic power in the Linux Sector.
source

Why not run Linux on your machine?

I hear these reasons often.
I am in school, and need Microsoft Office.
No problem, download Open Office for Free, it will do everything M$ Office does, and it's free.

I cannot play my Windows games on a Linux computer.
Well, you can, actually. Linux has a package named "Wine" that creates a windows like partition on your drive, and it will install those Windows games, and you can play them fine.

Linux is too hard to install and configure.
With today's Linux, those worries are gone. For the most part, and with all popular Linux operating systems, the install process has a nice GUI interface, and will automatically partition your hard drive, and in some instances, even install updates during the install.

I don't know how to install packages with Linux.
Well that's pretty easy too. Most Deb based Linux, Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, and one RPM distro, PC Linux, all use Synaptic Package Manager. Fedora, my favorite distro, uses Yum, and has a GUI for Yum called YumX.

Linux never gets a Virus! Linux is hard to hack into, some Distros use encryption to guard your passwords and files.

So, to sum up, why continue to feed the software giant Microsoft, when you can easily download, for free, any Linux Operating System you want, and install it on your computer with ease?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

I already do.

I also gave my sister a computer with linux years ago, which was replaced with a windows one when she upgraded. Now not so long ago she suddenly begged me to install linux again for her because of issues and malware/viruses and is now a very happy ubuntu linux user even though she does not know much at all.

So yeah i recommend everyone who havent tried it it or tried it recently give it a try at least for a while.

Windows is just flawed by design and antivirus software is no real security since they are never capable of catching all viruses.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
What distribution would you recommend for a first time user of Linux? ?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I have Kubuntu installed on my laptop. I have 7 on my gaming computer.
And while i like linux, i would never use it to play games on. Using WINE works, but not always, and ends up using more resources than just running windows, instead of having to emulate windows in linux to play the games.

Most people dont like it because its a little different =P, and different to use and learn than windows.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by metaldemon2000

Ubuntu is a good starter distro

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I would have said Ubuntu if you asked me some months ago, but sadly i think the last version with unity interface is a big step backwards.
I think today i would recommend xubuntu or kubuntu.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Ubuntu is good.

If you like to game WINE is often not enough. Dual boot is the true way to go.

Outside of gaming I agree, Linux is better. (And Windows is only better for gaming because of the work put into it, Linux could be just as good or better.)

If you want to try Linux out but don't want to wipe your PC, you could always run it off a CD/DVD/Flash Drive/Memory Card. Just google for instructionc.

edit on 22-11-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by juleol
Windows is just flawed by design and antivirus software is no real security since they are never capable of catching all viruses.

All operating systems are flawed. This is why GNU/Linux-based OS are constantly being updated.

Windows is inherently less secure because it owns 90% of the market share therefore 90% of the hacking community targets Microsoft OS' and products.

Also, OP - I'm quite astonished. At which point did windows manage to change BIOS settings?
edit on 22-11-2011 by b3l13v3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I use Ubuntu 10.04.

When I get a better PC I'm going for 11.04, until 12.04, the next LTS, comes out(When it's working good, that is)

lol I can't believe I used to be one of those twats that took the piss outta people who didn't use Win 7.

Microsoft Windows is a conspiracy. No doubt about it. They exist to make money only, and don't provide help to their customers in the same way the Linux users get treated. They've been aloud to get so big because that's what the El-ite run establishment has wanted. A "Type 1" Operating System, in a way. If they wanted to, they could quite easily build a system as good as, and as safe as Linux OS's, such as Ubuntu etc.

You're wide open to attack lol, Faildows can't protect dis howwwse! lol it's a scam...a Conspiracy!

Plus, what I saying is verified by the fact that wicked sweety man, Uncle Bill lol, is a member of Club of Rome! The informed people here know about the fake "Global Warming" agenda, that leads to depopulation. So, let's not forget when we see that devil and his misssus running a foundation to cure Maleria in Africa, he can't be injecting cures and stuff for their benefit. Gates is with the El-ite 100%. He is one of the PTB's corporate tools.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
P.S

I dual boot, of course. Uncle Bill may be a wicked, wicked devil(As AJ would put it), but you need a backup, just in case! Plus games.
edit on 22-11-2011 by TheUnusualSuspect because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Here are the pros and cons i have found regarding windows 7 and linux :-

pros of win 7
compatability (to a point)
printer support
hardware drivers (provided the device is not too old)
Win 7 is actually quite stable

cons of win 7
Software reposity - just does not exist
windows updates - who in their right mind needs to update when sutting down?
Fragmentation of microsoft technologies - .net silverlight etc - if built into windows needs updating first before installing software made for .net
why still use the windows registry ?

Pros of linux (linux mint that is)
Every usefull codec already built in
flash already installed
office and most productivity software already built in
live cd - try before install
instal the lot in 20 mins
scripting so powerfull that a script can be made to run after install putting any extra software on
the whole repositry and update process is very well thought out
upgrading very rearly needs a reboot
take an installed harddrive of linux from one pc to another and start it up a couple of times and off you go again - try that in windows

cons of linux mint
flash does not run as fast as in windows
games support severly lags behind windows
No mainstream support (for hardware like printers and devices) - this is left to geeks to figure out
at some stage you will have to.get your hands dirty with scripting or lower level stuff in linux - not always the case though

there are probably more pros and cons but these are the top ones on my list.
For me i am using android on my tablet but if it were a pc id be using linux mint

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I tried a few but settled on PCLinuxOS as it was the easiest to install and the repository includes various libraries you need to watch encrypted DVD's (ie all commercial ones).

I never switch my laptop off these days and PCLOS just keeps on running. I did have a dual boot with vista for a while but one day I took the plunge and grabbed all my harddrive for Linux.

NB as far as windows is concerned I have a copy of XP installed as a virtual machine using virtual box, just in case.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
Why not run Linux on your machine?

I hear these reasons often.
I am in school, and need Microsoft Office.
No problem, download Open Office for Free, it will do everything M$ Office does, and it's free.

For the most part. However, there is some formatting issues with Open Office vs. Microsoft Office.

I cannot play my Windows games on a Linux computer.
Well, you can, actually. Linux has a package named "Wine" that creates a windows like partition on your drive, and it will install those Windows games, and you can play them fine.

I bet you 50$ there's not one person on the planet with a GNU/Linux distro that can play Crysis without extreme problems. This is because Direct X _ is specifically designed to operating within a true Windows-environment, and the way the games are compiled. Naturally, a program compiled in a Windows environment - at the machine code layer will be accessing hardware and using instructions differently than a Linux kernel. It's a long-shot getting any CPU, graphic-intensive program to be emulated in WINE.

Also, just FYI - WINE creates a Virtual HDD, not a partition for operation.

Linux never gets a Virus! Linux is hard to hack into, some Distros use encryption to guard your passwords and files.

BAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHA ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Linux is NO harder to exploit that windows, in fact - it's easier because everything is open-source. This is why people continuously update it, because they find security-holes or bugs all the f'in time - which is a good thing, don't get me wrong - but PLEASE don't say Linux is harder to hack than Windows, it's really not. It just depends on your definition of hacking.

Windows is more prone to "dumb-viruses" which just infect nodes by end-user's illiteracy.

www.linuxfordevices.com...

The site made by the FOUNDER of Linux was hacked, and completely breached to a massive extent - and you bet they we're running Linux servers.

If you're going to educate people on an intelligent choice of OS, please, do it honestly. Yes, Linux is a great choice. For everyone? No.

Use Avast and common sense (Windows), and you'll never get a virus.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I am not computer literate at all, so I wanted to ask a few questions if I may.

I actually do about 10 things with my laptop. THAT'S IT!

I live in the boonies, so my speed is very slow, and I have a ton of stuff that I dont know what its used for. The games I play are mostly offline, I cant really watch videos because of my download usage, and its pretty much ATS, and a few other sites but thats it.

If I download another program like linux, will that remove all of windows? Can I save my offline games, I dont really need anything else, except maybe FF which I love, and Chrome so I can get into chat.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Peace, NRE.

Also wanted to ask, if I download Linux, will it remove all Windows, and if so, and I want it back can I use system restore or is that simply for windows?

edit on 22-11-2011 by NoRegretsEver because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by b3l13v3

Originally posted by juleol

All operating systems are flawed. This is why GNU/Linux-based OS are constantly being updated.

Windows is inherently less secure because it owns 90% of the market share therefore 90% of the hacking community targets Microsoft OS' and products.

Also, OP - I'm quite astonished. At which point did windows manage to change BIOS settings?

It is also more secure by design. It is not easy for viruses to get full system access like with windows simply because of how it is designed in a completely different way. But of course every system has flaws including linux, but some like windows have more of them.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by b3l13v3

I dont know about crysis, but there are plenty of games that runs just fine under wine including latest Skyrim.

Thanks to services like onlive you can even play games like the new deus ex.

It really depends on how compatible the game is with wine. Some runs about as good as under windows if you are lucky.
But yeah if you want to make sure you can play all the latest pc games without issues then it is better to dual boot or have one pc for gaming and one for other tasks.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The only viruses and malware i have seen on linux only wreck the users account.
I.e. It cannot jump up to root user.

But on windows i have seen viruses jump to administrators level and wreck the whole os.

Once i got 2gb of viruses from my administrator friend, installed wine and then tried to run every virus.

Turned out a non eventfull evening. Various errors with files not found etc.
Either wine is not that good or linux is very robust. You decide. Lol

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I would highly recommend PC Linux OS. Very easy to install and keep up to date. Good forum with quick answers, and very fast and stable. Comes with many packages, many more available through Synaptic.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by b3l13v3

For the most part. However, there is some formatting issues with Open Office vs. Microsoft Office.

Please explain. Formatting problems? Linux does not format anything, and when you download Open Office through the package manager, it just installs and works. I just installed Open Office on a Windows computer for a local wrecker service last month. The secretary loves it.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I hope someone can answer my question below.

Some open source software such as open office is every bit as powerful as MS office and it is free.
However, you will not find open source software that would replace some of those very power windows programs.

There is nothing that will come near Finale for writing music in open source. I prefer to use Adobe Audition for Audio. ..open sources answer to audio recording and editing is audacity. good but less than useful for multiple tracks of recording and editing. I use Adobe Premiere for video and nothing comes close to that in open source.
Using Wine to run those programs is at best testy, and often erratic.
So for me the only solution may be dual one. Boot up either into Ubuntu using firefox or
boot up into XP to work with windows based programs.

If you are running a dual system of either Ubuntu or Win XP and you choose Ubuntu on boot up
do any of the Windows process run at that time?
Would the system still be windows vulnerable even though I booted into Ubuntu?
I am fairly new to Ubuntu, and love the interface. but I need windows based to run my other programs.
So if I boot Ubuntu on start up is any part of that computer at risk from a windows based attack?
I intend to run XP only when writing music, or doing video/graphics etc, and not go online with it in the future.
DH

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join