It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Why Linux is Better than Windows

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

Ah yeah, I see what you're saying. It would be much nicer if it was set up that way.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I dual-boot on all my machines: OpenSuSE and a very modified version of XP. I would love to work linux only but their are some limitations, most notably GIMP's colour correction just dont cut it compared to Photoshop, and Photoshop and Wine dont play nice, second and less of a concern these days is the Flash IDE (not flash player), since I dont use Flash nowhere near as much these days its not much of a drama.

BTW: Lightwave runs faster in wine than it does in windows--funny that

OpenOffice has been forked--Im yet to try LibreOffice, as Im all about google docs these days. (keep your head in the cloud).

If i were to recommend a distro to someone new to Linux, I would say anything that suports RPM(red-hat package management), this will make installing packages much easier for someone use to a windows system.

Originally posted by ArMaP
reply to post by autowrench

Advanced Capabilities - In addition to the system utility tools from the Unix world, Linux usually comes with the Apache Webserver, an email server, router/firewall capabilities and SQL databases. These are extras costing up to thousands of dollars on Windows. There IS free software to do these jobs on Windows, but it has mostly been adapted from Linux and loses some functionality when ported to Windows.

Not really true, Windows comes with a Web Server (I don't remember if it also has an email server, but there are several free ones), and those extras cost nothing, even if we don't find Windows firewall good enough (and it isn't as good as the best Linux firewalls) we can find free versions. Microsoft also has a free version of SQL Server, limited to 4GB databases, but enough for most cases.

IIS is the server bundled with windows and some CMS softwares dont like it, and will require Apache to be installed anyway. (TYPO3 im looking at you buddy!) and M$SQL is not supported by most CMS software--again you will be required to install MySQL. If you are running a server to host a website (and your not making enough from said site to employ a M$ engineer) then you want a LAMP stack.

databases over 4gig are common in my work--but yes if your running a simple wordpress, 4gig should be enough.

Oh, and those who mentioned OSX--google OpenDarwin.

edit on 2-12-2011 by cartenz because: su

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by cartenz
IIS is the server bundled with windows and some CMS softwares dont like it, and will require Apache to be installed anyway.
That may be true, but it doesn't change the fact that Windows comes with a Web server.

and M$SQL is not supported by most CMS software--again you will be required to install MySQL. If you are running a server to host a website (and your not making enough from said site to employ a M$ engineer) then you want a LAMP stack.
No need for an MS engineer, do you need an Apache or MySQL engineer to do that job?

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

That may be true, but it doesn't change the fact that Windows comes with a Web server.

Yes, it does. But from someone who has managed sites since the late 90's I can tell you from my professional opinion that IIS is inferior to Apache, Glassfish, or any other server tech on the market. I understand if you dont take my professional opinion on board due to the fact Im trying to maintain a small amount of anomynimity on ATS, but assure you: IIS is inferior. You are welcome to disagree.

No need for an MS engineer, do you need an Apache or MySQL engineer to do that job?

No, you dont. Because Apache, MySQL, and Linux dont have the same "industry" based certifications an Big-o-Firm (Microsoft). If you ARE a web professional, you will know about MCSE and the inflated saleries they expect over Degree or Diploma qualified professionals. As an IT professional, I look over MCSE's for people with REAL experience.

Also most of the web id MySQL, PHP. Not .NET MsSQL. I have worked with MOSS2010--its only an excuse for bad code.

Sure, this is only my professional opinion, but my clients respect me and my opinion and are mostly .gov.au and .edu.au TLD's; Where do your clients come from?

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

IIS is the server bundled with windows and some CMS softwares dont like it, and will require Apache to be installed anyway.

and M$SQL is not supported by most CMS software--again you will be required to install MySQL. If you are running a server to host a website (and your not making enough from said site to employ a M$ engineer) then you want a LAMP stack.

trying to save face?

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by cartenz

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

sorry but my Spanish is not that good; I may need to get my Portuguese neighbor to put what I say into a dialogue you will understand, so if any non-English on this post, it is bought to you by an interpretation..

Firstly: I addressed what points you raised, I can fly over and cover these again in person if you wish. As a respected academic in "New Media" I do often travel to third-world countries such as Portugal to teach what I know to the local populace.

Secondly: You failed to answer my question of "where do your clients come from?"; do you even have a career in the web industry or are you just a mod here, with no other claim to any web development work?

Thirdly:

As stated, YES, there is a server bundled with windows, but it DOES NOT WORK WITH MANY CONTENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS OOTB (which is what people require in a CMS). People who build web-infrastructure know their industry. People who pedantically question a professional opinion without offering ANY alternative, THEY ARE JUST TROLLS!

YOU ARE A TROLL! I do nont care that you are a mod here, but you MA'AM are a TROLL. I countered your point that YES WINDOWS DOES HAVE A SERVER BUILT IN with ITS NOT THAT GOOD. What did you bring to the argument? PARLOUS ANGLAIS????

Dont give me the language barrier BS, you know what Im am saying, I have seen you in argue in the forums before and try hide behind "Io non anglais" but you have just as good, if not better comprehension of English than the rest of us (I know your grinning reading that because you know it true!).

Tenho viajado mais para matar os homens maior do que você

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Secondly: You failed to answer my question of "where do your clients come from?"; do you even have a career in the web industry or are you just a mod here, with no other claim to any web development work?
To be honest, I didn't even saw that question, so I will answer it now.

I don't have any clients, but the company where I work has several clients, some of those are ministries and one is the Presidency of the Portuguese Republic. All our work involving web servers on those organisations has been done in IIS.

My web development work is mostly for my own use.

Thirdly:As stated, YES, there is a server bundled with windows, but it DOES NOT WORK WITH MANY CONTENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS OOTB (which is what people require in a CMS). People who build web-infrastructure know their industry.
What I was answering to was the statement that "There IS free software to do these jobs on Windows, but it has mostly been adapted from Linux and loses some functionality when ported to Windows." As Windows comes with IIS, regardless of what works with it or not, and IIS is not adapted from Linux, I was only pointing that.

People who pedantically question a professional opinion without offering ANY alternative, THEY ARE JUST TROLLS!
I only questioned what was posted on the article linked in the original post.

Dont give me the language barrier BS, you know what Im am saying, I have seen you in argue in the forums before and try hide behind "Io non anglais" but you have just as good, if not better comprehension of English than the rest of us (I know your grinning reading that because you know it true!).
The language barrier is real, regardless of what you believe, and no, I'm not grinning.

Tenho viajado mais para matar os homens maior do que você
Although the words are in Portuguese, that sentence makes no sense.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

I don't have any clients, but the company where I work has several clients, some of those are ministries and one is the Presidency of the Portuguese Republic. All our work involving web servers on those organisations has been done in IIS.

Exactly, I have worked with MANY government departments, and there WERE reasons that M$ was the first choice of provider. After some time using the M$ stable, the Government here decided they were not getting ROI (return on investment) that they would with the same outlay as they could get with opensource. Hence the switch, and ALL departments gained a greater web presence by switching to an ACCESSIBLE technology... Oh, I forgot to mention accessibility, sorry. MOSS Does not do accessibility.

My web development work is mostly for my own use.

So, Im someone who has worked since the late 1990's doing web, yet you refuse to take on anything I have said--even tho I have put Universities and government departments in functional CMS software (horses for courses!)

only questioned what was posted on the article linked in the original post.

No you questioned me:

The language barrier is real, regardless of what you believe, and no, I'm not grinning.
I know you have a bettetr grasp of English than a lot of people on ATS who have Englidh as their first language--dont give me this "I NO SPEAK ENGLISH" rhetoric, you understand me--you might not GET me, but you understand.

All I stated was that IIS is an inferior server to Apache (yes this may be my own preferance, but my preference as a professional who has worked web since the 90's, you should take my advice happily because I am not charging you for my time.

No, you just wheighed in to critisize and try to show you were more knowlageable (scailability point?):

Scalability - Systems implemented under Linux can be cloned limitless times without paying additional software licensing fees - With Windows, you pay for each installation/workstation/server/cpu.
I thought "scalability" had a different meaning, that looks more like freedom to make copies than scalability.

So someone prior to you used a term incorrectly--but you had to weigh in with this pedantic blurb just so you could look superior. Howimportant you must feel!.

I stated IIS was inferior, you bought no points to support IIS as not being inferior, you just chose to pick apart my post with NO supporting argument. I consider that TROLLING!

Im happy to come meet you and discuss this further if you will, since you claim to be a web professional; Its what I do.

edit on 3-12-2011 by cartenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Exactly, I have worked with MANY government departments, and there WERE reasons that M$ was the first choice of provider. After some time using the M$ stable, the Government here decided they were not getting ROI (return on investment) that they would with the same outlay as they could get with opensource. Hence the switch, and ALL departments gained a greater web presence by switching to an ACCESSIBLE technology... Oh, I forgot to mention accessibility, sorry. MOSS Does not do accessibility.
What's "MOSS"?

So, Im someone who has worked since the late 1990's doing web, yet you refuse to take on anything I have said--even tho I have put Universities and government departments in functional CMS software (horses for courses!)
Why do you say that I refuse to take on anything you said? I only said that I was not talking about the quality or other aspects of the web server bundled with all versions of Windows, I was only talking about the existence of a web server on Windows.

No you questioned me:
Sorry if that was the idea that my post gave you, that was not intention, I don't have any reason to question you (or anyone else) about the quality of products that I never used (Apache) when compared to the only one I know (IIS).

I know you have a bettetr grasp of English than a lot of people on ATS who have Englidh as their first language--dont give me this "I NO SPEAK ENGLISH" rhetoric, you understand me--you might not GET me, but you understand.
I never said I don't speak English, I only said that the language barrier does exist. Most of the time I may understand what other people write and I may write in a way that is easy for other people to understand what I am trying to say, but some times I do not understand what other people are saying or I write things that may be interpreted in a way that is not the one I wanted it to have.

All I stated was that IIS is an inferior server to Apache (yes this may be my own preferance, but my preference as a professional who has worked web since the 90's, you should take my advice happily because I am not charging you for my time.
Yes, you stated that, and I am trying to tell you that this was not what I was talking about, just that. I was speaking about the existence of a web server on all versions of Windows, not about the quality of that web server.

As for your advice, I didn't see anything that looked like an advice.

No, you just wheighed in to critisize and try to show you were more knowlageable (scailability point?):
No, I was expecting someone to explain that to me, that's why I said that I thought it had a different meaning.

I stated IIS was inferior, you bought no points to support IIS as not being inferior, you just chose to pick apart my post with NO supporting argument. I consider that TROLLING!
You can consider it what you want, I didn't brought any points to support IIS as not being inferior because that was not what I was talking about and because I cannot compare it with things I do not know.

Im happy to come meet you and discuss this further if you will, since you claim to be a web professional;
I did? Where?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I run Linux Mint 11 on most of my computers as some are so old that you can not put windows Vista on them.(a few will not take XP)

Linux mint 11 will work on a 486 CPU computer. Nothing windows supports now will work on a 486 CPU.

I also like mint 11 for flash drives that i can use in other computers when i want security while traveling

Window XP users that are having problems with viruses and malware are doing something wrong.

I run AVG free. malwarebytes, CC cleaner and pagedefrag and have not had any problem for ages. I also have a proprietary outbound blocker that warns me of viruses and malware trying to call home.
Many viruses and malware don't load fully from a infected site. They have to call home to do there full loading.
If you block this call home you kill 80% of viruses and malware. and 100% the risk of your computer becoming a bot.

Many people that have problem with malware or viruses in many cases are really having other problems.
I have had what looked like a virus on my computer but my security programs found nothing.
Turned out my cable provider was infected and was causing the problem.

I did a experiment one time after i had done a clean load of windows XP to a new computer.
First i cloned a large flash drive from this clean computer.
Then i plugged in to the internet and down-loaded a number of Antivirux programs one at a time and scanned the flash drive.
Everyone of the Antivirus programs claimed that the clean flash drive was infected.

Then i tried a number of online virus scans and most of them showed the flash drive was badly infected.

Just because a antivirus program claims your computer is infected does not prove it is infected.

If you look up the virus on the internet and go theough looking for the infected files you can not find them.

This is why Linux is hard to infect. Linux uses a different type file format that is not compatible with the windows format used in windows based viruses.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
According to Jack Wallen, superiority in security, flexibility, interoperability, community, and command-line power (among other things) put Linux well ahead. See if you agree with his assessment

I will list the 5 areas where Linux not only does better than Windows but blows it out of the water.

#1: TCO

This can o’ worms has been, and will be, debated until both operating systems are no more. But let’s face it — the cost of a per-seat Windows license for a large company far outweighs having to bank on IT learning Linux. This is so for a couple of reasons.

First, most IT pros already know a thing or two about Linux. Second, today’s Linux is not your mother’s Linux. Linux has come a long, long way from where it was when I first started. Ten years ago, I would have said, hands down, Windows wins the TCO battle. But that was before KDE and GNOME brought their desktops to the point where any given group of monkeys could type Hamlet on a Linux box as quickly as they could type it on a Windows box. I bet any IT department could roll out Linux and do it in such a way that the end users would hardly know the difference. With KDE 4.1 leaps and bounds beyond 4.0, it’s already apparent where the Linux desktop is going — straight into the end users’ hands. So with all the FUD and rhetoric aside, Windows can’t compete with Linux in TCO. Add to that the cost of software prices (including antivirus and spyware protection) for Windows vs. Linux, and your IT budget just fell deeply into the red.

#2: Desktop

You can’t keep a straight face and say the Linux desktop is more difficult to use than the Windows desktop. If you can, you might want to check the release number of the Linux distribution you are using. Both GNOME and KDE have outpaced Windows for user-friendliness. Even KDE 4, which has altered the path of KDE quite a bit, will make any given user at home with the interface. But the Linux desktop beats the Windows desktop for more reasons than just user-friendliness. It’s far more flexible than anything Microsoft has ever released. If you don’t like the way the Linux desktop looks or behaves, change it. If you don’t like the desktop included with your distribution, add another. And what if, on rare occasion, the desktop locks up? Well, Windows might require a hard restart. Linux? Hit Ctrl + Alt + Backspace to force a logout of X Windows. Or you can always drop into a virtual console and kill the application that caused your desktop to freeze. It’s all about flexibility… something the Windows desktop does not enjoy.

#3: Server

For anyone who thinks Windows has the server market cornered, I would ask you to wake up and join the 21st century. Linux can, and does, serve up anything and everything and does it easily and well. It’s fast, secure, easy to configure, and very scalable. And let’s say you don’t happen to be fond of Sendmail. If that’s the case you have plenty of alternatives to choose from. Even with serving up Web pages. There are plenty of alternatives to Apache, some of which are incredibly lightweight.

#4: Security

Recently, there was a scare in the IT world known as Phalanx 2. It actually hit Linux. But the real issue was that it hit Linux servers that hadn’t been updated. It was poor administration that caused this little gem to get noticed. The patch, as usual in the Linux world, came nearly as soon as word got out. And that’s the rub. Security issues plague Windows for a couple of reasons: The operating system comes complete with plenty of security holes and Microsoft is slow to release patches for the holes. Of course, this is not to say that Linux is immune. It isn’t. But it is less susceptible to attacks and faster to fix problems.

#5: Flexibility

This stems from the desktop but, because Linux is such an amazingly adaptable operating system, it’s wrong to confine flexibility to the desktop alone. Here’s the thing: With Linux, there is always more than one way to handle a task. Add to that the ability to get really creative with your problem solving, and you have the makings of a far superior system. Windows is about as inflexible as an operating system can be. Think about it this way: Out of the box, what can you do with Windows? You can surf the Web and get e-mail. Out of the box, what can you do with Linux? I think the better question is what can you NOT do with Linux? Linux is to Legos like Windows is to Lincoln Logs. With Lincoln Logs, you have the pieces to make fine log cabins. With Legos, you have the pieces to make, well, anything. And then you have all the fanboys making Star Wars Legos and Legos video games. Just where did all those Lincoln Logs fanboys go?

View more at: www.techyv.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   

All the points i stress too. The only computer i use at the moment with ms windows is the laptop I use for school. Purely by necessity. All of my personal stuff is on linux systems and encrypted with some REAL encryption. Not NT file locking.

I have to be really careful with this windows system, just in case a nauseous website decides to vomit. or something.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

This is basically the result of every pc/mac, windows/linux, windows/OSX, apple/android argument i have ever seen on the web. They start to get out of hand.

Just let natural selection happen and stop bickering about it. Jeez.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alpensopath
#1: TCO
I agree, but the situation is not the same in all countries, in Portugal it's still a little difficult to find someone that sees knowledge of Linux as another reason to choose someone for a job in a state-related IT department, one of the reasons being the special agreements Microsoft has with the state. I know that at least in one case, the workers from that institution can use at home the same software they use at work.

#2: Desktop
For this a need some explanations:
- what kind of user-friendliness are you talking about? Some examples would help.
- what kind of flexibility are you talking about? Flexibility to do what?
- I never had to do a restart because of a desktop lock, killing the explorer process is enough. Or is there something I'm missing?

#3: Server
True.

#4: Security
True.

#5: Flexibility
True, up to a point. Considering what has happened in the past, if Microsoft shipped Windows with more Microsoft products they would probably be forced to remove them, in some aspects Microsoft is somewhat forbidden from doing things that a Linux distribution can do.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by cartenz

Im happy to come meet you and discuss this further if you will, since you claim to be a web professional; Its what I do.

I never claimed to be a web professional, I just repair them for a partial living. I run a version of PC Linux on my machine, I built it up from minimum OS to a full OS, with all of the toys and whistles that make me happy. Then I made a remaster of my custom OS, and gave the CDs to my friends to install on their machines. Let's see anyone do that with Windows.

I use Time Warner for my internet provider, and TW Servers run Red Hat Linux. I am pretty sure all big servers run Linux. Can you imagine if they all ran Windows, and a virus infected them all? With Windows all you get is spend more money for the same source code with a new GUI. And the code is closed source, so you cannot alter it like you can an open source OS. You cannot build your very own Windows, all you can do is customize it to suit you.

I was simply trying to show reasons why Linux is better, but I see Microsoft has some of you forever. I am not saying that is bad, but take a good look at your investment, and then know that my OS was totally free. That is the big difference here.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by malcr

Hello, I run PC Linux also. I an running the 64 bit version right now, but something strange happened last night in the PC Linux forum perhaps you should know about. I posted about the 64 bit version being faster than the 32 bit, and the Administrator, Neil, told me if I wanted to talk about it, I had to join a google group. I replied that I do not join google groups, and in fact, have google cookies blocked from my computer. As soon as I hit reply, I was banned from the board for 14 days. I have to wonder, who don't they want 64 bit Linux, which is what everyone wants these days, forbidden to discuss in an open forum?

An Error Has Occurred! Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum! Violated posting rules. Argued with administrator.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I agree with you completely.

It's worth letting people know is more than windows available... especially in this day and age where inflation is messed up in most places around the world and we are _still_ in a recession. It's quite important people realise you don't actually need windows if all you want to do is browse the web, send the odd email, play the odd browser game and chat to friends.

I honestly haven't used windows for several years now (possibly ~5). I remember coming across this thing called ubuntu and they offered free-cd's in the post, signed up for one, installed it and never looked back. Although i strayed away from ubuntu at the release of 'jaunty jackelope', the quality lacked behind previous releases in my opinion and just became annoying.

Having installed just about everything on distrowatch at one time, i can say i'm firmly in love with Arch-Linux and Slackware, also tend to be using one of the BSD's from time to time (FreeBSD with the GNOME 2.X desktop is the bomb). Things can get quite technical if you go down that route of tinkering with all different variations of GNU/Linux, although it pays off knowing how to secure your box properly.

In fact, since i ditched windows, i haven't lost any files or broken my computer due to malware/spyware since.

Still, as for people who say "games don't work on linux". They do, if you open up your wallet to companies like iD Software instead of the ones which have license agreements with microsoft. Linux has native installers for the Quake series, Doom3, unreal tournament, are a few examples.

Gaming on GNU/Linux:
www.penguspy.com...
www.happypenguin.org...

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I just jumped from Mint 9 to Mint 12 (now using Gnome 3) and I'm a bit blown away at the difference. There has been a significant design change and I'm not really sure of the stability of certain aspects (MATE Gnome 2 compatibility) etc. has me feeling out of my comfort zone. Anyone else make this change yet and have you any must know tips/tricks?

www.linuxmint.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

So, are they doing the same thing as Ubuntu? What's happening, are they trying to lose their "clients"?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join