It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military training and it's effect on humans

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Military training and it's effect on humans?

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by BIGPoJo
reply to post by Raivan31

Lets take a real look at why service men think they are "better" than their "civy" friends, its because they are. They are making a sacrifice while their civy friends are making pizza. They can run forever while their civy friends are stuck on the couch. They play real war games while their civy friends play XBOX. They risk their lives while their civy friends risk nothing. They are in athletic shape while their civy friends are in a pear shape. Better indeed.

EDIT - Watch this war propaganda to educate yourself about servicemen.

edit on 15-11-2011 by BIGPoJo because: (no reason given)

Don't take this the wrong way and understand I have many friends in the service and that are now out of the service. Typically a few years out of the service they still have that general disconnection to the rest of society and most that if not incapacitated from war (mental or physical) resort back to that pear shape. I'm in tip top physical shape and am sharper than most that go into the service but there is one thing that I've notice "Civvys" have that makes them more valuable to humanity than being able to fight well.....

Compassion, the ability to empathize and great will power (not all have them but most do).

Those attributes alone have lead to bigger and better acts of kindness and resolve than I've seen any soldier do on the battle field.

Don't get me wrong I respect and support the soldiers but I believe that they can make themselves that much better by learning or getting a couple of those attributes back.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I sent the application after i posted if your interested.
I'm sick of being the outsider with everyone i know.
Can't find work and sick of being destitute.
Surrounded by defense force personnel but left out.

F%*k it, what other choice do i have, it's this or a noose.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

It seemed to me that my civilian friends left me. I came home after a year (on leave) and started trying to reconnect. Everybody had something else to do. But then, It was during the Vietnam era.
Yep, after that, I pretty well wrote most of those bastards off. I was off doing my duty for my country and those buttholes were enjoying their college days and making a place in the business world so I could be four years behind when my enlistment ended.
Just another perspective...............

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31
Well for better or worse i just entered an application to join.
Won't find out for a while if it leads anywhere and if i find a good job in the meantime i might not join at all.

But it's a choice and i made it.

You don't have to seperate yourself and sever all ties with family and friends. It's just that your job will be that demanding for awhile. After basic or boot camp you will have a tech school for whatever your field of service will be. I wouldn't suggest joining, but I'm not against it either. I sincerely don't know if given the chance I would do it all again or not (knowing what I know now), and that is the honest truth.

If there is another option than joining, there are many ways to serve other people besides military service. Remember: You may not have a choice of what profession they choose for you, and you may be doing it for at least 4 years. I've served along side every branch of service in my career exept coast guard. If someone was hell bound on joining and nothing could possibly change their mind, I'd try to nudge them in the direction of the airforce, that is if I liked them. And I pretty much like everybody as much as I can tolerate to.

Good luck with your decision.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
After leaving the military and applying for jobs, many companies stressed the idea of "team work". Let me tell you....team work is not the same in the civilian world as it is in the military.

A civilian would not know team work if it hit them like an IED. No disrespect to those that have lost their lives that way or were injured.

Truly I wish I could have gone farther with the military. Far more structured. I miss it.

Civilian life seems so disordered and chaotic to me. Random thoughts by Jack Daniels.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

I'd like to believe there are more options than that, but looking around at my own community in small town central Illinois (population 15,000, and the largest city in the county) I can feel your pain about lack of options. Perhaps a technical school and a civilian contractor job stateside? A student loan and whatever the highest paying job you can do that is available to help pay for classes? At least attempt to talk to a school counselor to see if you would qualify for any financial assistance for school? Have you really exhausted all other possible options?

I'm not trying to give you second thoughts or talk you out of joining. But with the trajectory our politicians and law makers have taken us, I'm not sure how stable our current national direction is. Joining the service is a very large commitment, with a great deal of responsibilities.

Perhaps someone closer to you in your life, one of the defense employees, could help give you more advice.

Best wishes.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Is this a joke? Or are the majority of you just delusional? The checklist posted by muzzleflash is so far out of line with the military that it's insulting. Hell yes service members act cold when they come back from basic, they spend months without communicating with anyone from their life besides maybe two people who may have sent them a letter or something. Give me a break. Hell yes service members act closer with each other than their friends at home. Are you daft? They went through hell together, got in trouble together, and would probably do just about anything for each other. The "cult checklist" is ridiculous. They are encouraged to only speak with certain people? They are actually encouraged to get their families involved with their units and what they are doing on a day-to-day basis.

I could go through every point made on that "checklist" and show you guys just how far off base you are. I couldn't even read through the entire first page of replies because I was so angered by those of you who would so easily disrespect service members that would fight for you WHETHER YOU SUPPORT THEM OR NOT! NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
reply to post by ILikeStars

I think you are a very clever and intelligent person.

I look forward to seeing more interesting thoughts from you in the future.
You withstood my attacks beautifully and I can't help but respect your composure.

In a previous incarnation of mine we were on eachother's friends lists, and agreed with eachother frequently.
edit on 15-11-2011 by ILikeStars because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
It is real easy for someone to insult the military, and say all the things they are and are not, when you have never been in and have no idea what you are talking about. Saying that your friend was an instructor and that gives you inside knowledge is like the common saying "I am not racist, my best friend is black". If you know so much, why do you feel the need to defend yourself. Everyone that joins the military wants to think they are doing good things, it is always much later in their career that they figure out that they are just part of a bigger picture, and are as disposable as the equipment that they use, sometimes even more so. I went in the U.S Marines at 18 years old, had no direction, no money, no goals or aspirations, and basically no real education outside of a mediocre highschool diploma. The Military made me appreciate everything I didn't have anymore as a civilian, more importantly, the opportunity to have an opinion, a choice, and freedom. Do all you truthers, and anti war/anti military folks out there really think that all these military members can just stop serving? Because if you do, you are a fool. You know what happens when you decide that you are against the war, and no longer wish to take orders, you get thrown into the brig, or much worse, have to flee your country and head to canada for the rest of your life. All you people should start really looking at these kids that you are bashing, and thank them. If they weren't so readily willing to volunteer to join the military, you could very well be forced to join in a draft. You can play the peace card and say "when will it all stop" but I have news for you, the idea of war is much older than the idea of peace, war is the oldest aspect of the animal kingdom, it is the fight to survive, the fight to stay relevant, the fight to ensure a species, and it much like other things, is never going away.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by beautyndissonance

Why can't the military just stop serving? All they have to do is wake up!!!

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
The ideas that most are posting on here of the military being cold and emotionless is representative of a very small portion of the actual military men and women out there. That is like saying that all muslims strap bombs to their chest and blow each other up, it just doesn't happen. Most of the men and women that I served with in the Marines were very compassionate, artistic, thoughtful, loving people, that wanted nothing more than to please their families, friends, and country, and would do anything to ensure that the freedoms of their fellow citizens were protected. It is funny that the majority of you people on here posting pictures and videos of cruel acts by the military are probably the exact same people that scream that you cannot trust the media blah blah blah, but will buy into the occasional sensation headlines about some soldier or marine beating an Iraqi war prisoner to death, when in all reality there were thousands of service members that took the Iraq mission statement of "Winning the Hearts and Minds" very seriously, I know that I definitely did. One of my greatest joys in Iraq was being stationed at the Haditha Dam, and going into town and handing out candy to children on thanksgiving and christmas, instead of being home in my warm house with my family, enjoying a life long tradition, like the majority of you probably were.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Yeah! the children you gave the candy to where probably orphaned by your friend's.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hootsmanwheresmaheid

Why can't the military just stop serving? All they have to do is wake up!!!

Because they are under a contractual obligation to serve a period of no less than 8 years active or inactive and they have more honor than to just quit and hide from their obligations to their country, and family. If everyone was a coward like you, our world would be far worse than it currently is. Our military training in today's society, is nothing compared to what it was thousands of years ago. Think about the Romans, Spartans, Persians, and Trojans, if you thank we are a blood thirsty pack, imagine living back then, when not only would they kill on impulse and desire, but would also rape, pillage, and plunder when they were finished.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Yeah! the children you gave the candy to where probably orphaned by your friend's.

Clever. Sounds like you are projecting your real life problems into an online forum.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Because they are under contractual obligation's!!! You are the one that's got problem's mate!

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Because they are under contractual obligation's!!! You are the one that's got problem's mate!

Well, they are. When you enlist you sign a contract with the U.S Government. It is a legally binding contract, and can have punitive penalties if broken. You should really attempt to get educated on a topic before you start throwing your "street wisdom" into it, Mate. By the way, what honorable career path have you chosen, since joining the military is so far off the beaten path?

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Ok, so there you are in Iraq, your commanding officer give's you the order to enter a particular building because there is intel that there are suspected terrorists in the said building. Take no prisoners he says, kill everyone in the building! You know there are kid's inside (because you gave one some candy earlier) you suddenly have a moment of enlightenment, F'ck this war is all about oil etc, Well punk! do you go in or not?

It is real easy for someone who has never seen combat except for behind the controller of his xbox 360 to throw out imaginary war scenarios and loaded questions. I like the punk comment, truly inspiring. A commander would never say that, and if he did, I would never agree to those orders, because they are 100% against the Geneva Conventions Act.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join