It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth as Seen From the ISS - Time Lapsed Photography

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
This is really eye candy for anyone. It is beautifully put together.
I would suggest reading the background information before watching the video.

Enjoy the ride

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
So much more to see than I would have
thought. Breathtaking beauty!

A couple of things I noticed -
I take it the flashes are lightening strikes?
The auroras from space, wow!
S @ F

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
A couple of things I noticed -
I take it the flashes are lightening strikes?
I assume you meant lightning?

Most are lightning flashes, but I wouldn't call them strikes because most don't hit the ground. A few do hit the ground and those are the ones I'd call lightning strikes. It's hard to tell from that vantage point which are which.

I too was impressed with the aurora and the way the atmosphere looks like a shield against ionizing radiation, because that's what it is but I never expected to see it so clearly! It looks kind of like the force fields around the spaceships on science fiction shows like in Star Trek. Cool!

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Good find, shame you didn't put more effort into this thread, i had to investigate this more my self to get infomation.

Two-hundred-forty miles above the Earth, it turns out, is a stunningly beautiful place to be. In the video above you can view Michael König's five-minute HD video montage of 18 time-lapse sequences of photographs shot from the International Space Station.

The photos were taken with a "special low-light 4K-camera" by the Expedition crews 28 & 29 aboard the ISS from August through October this year. NASA's Image Science and Analysis Laboratory developed the shots, which include the Aurora Borealis Pass, an "Evening Pass" over the Sahara Desert and the Aurora Australis, which covers the sky from Madagascar to the southwest of Australia.

Along the way, you'll see giant lightning storms, massive cloud formations, webs of city lights and the constantly evolving stream of lights reflecting off of the Earth's atmosphere. It's an amazing and surreal view; all while the edges of the ISS hover at the edges of your computer screen.

I find it spellbinding and dream like, watching earth from space, its just a thing of beauty, i could watch this video again and again.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Amazing video!
But a bit scary to see all that brightly lit cities around the world.. didn't know it was so easy to spot them from dark space.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Sunlight

NASA Visible Earth–City Lights.

Higher resolution links here.

Th satellite images were created with data from the Defense Meteorological Satellite Program (DMSP) Operational Linescan System (OLS). Originally designed to view clouds by moonlight.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
reply to post by Sunlight

NASA Visible Earth–City Lights.

Higher resolution links here.

Th satellite images were created with data from the Defense Meteorological Satellite Program (DMSP) Operational Linescan System (OLS). Originally designed to view clouds by moonlight.

Thx!
Amazing pic!!

top topics

join