It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing pictures of landscape still scarred by WWI

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+42 more 
posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
www.coolcrack.com...

After a hundred years the earth is still showing scars from WW1 .
Many people seem to be concerned with the Carbon Footprint that humans are leaving behind,I think that pales in comparison compared to other footprints we are leaving on the planet such as the scars still visible across the battlefields of WW1.
Im sure the next big war which probaly isnt that far away is going to leave scars that will still be visible in 1000 yrs,you think we would have learned by now.
Please enjoy the pics
edit on Mon Nov 14 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: content added per OP

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Very interesting pics.

Thanks for posting it.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilder

Wow, thanks for sharing these pictures/website. It is amazing to see that nature even 100 years later can't restore what we destroy in just a few years.

There are so many 'Lost Places' or 'abandoned place' around the world where 99.9% even don't know that they exist or existed. Just search for these two terms in your favorite search engine or start here if you are interested:
Abandoned Places

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Stunning pictures.

I feel they help to visualise exactly what the ground looked like at the time of war.
We've all seen footage and photos of the time with the soldiers running over the ground or bombs going off etc, but you don't really get a true feeling for the environment.

These pictures bring that home and are as much of a permanent reminder of things that should never have happened. Connect these images with all the war memorials around the world and, maybe, they will help our children understand the horror of those years so that they may do all they can to ensure this never happens again.

It's not just the loss of life, it's the scarring of our souls and of the land.

With all that is going on right now, surely we must remember!!

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I've visited some of these sites during military history and i can tell you that it really makes you stand still and silent when watching the sites and hearing the stories that happened at the exact sites..

Both horrible and breathtaking at the same time, especially the huge craters which are now filled with water. Just getting a hint of how those soldiers must have felt when it all went down, and the sheer power of the explosions that left those craters.. *shrugs* Guess that's where the term "Shell Shock" comes from..

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Let's not forget the bravery and suffering of all those men who were there. Conditions were horrendous in the trenches where you literally would have to fight rats for your dinner. Living in cold wet mud for months on end only for the boredom to be relieved by being told to charge the machine guns and trenches across no-man's land.
Small wonder no one seriously thought WW2 would happen - who would willingly go through that again? Somehow our leaders have drug us in war after war since. Had it been they who were in the trenches I'm sure some kind of compromise would be reached.
My grandfather was there and wounded when a shell landed killing the men on either side of him. He carried shrapnel in his belly for 77 years until his death in 1994..

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I can't help but think about the clock scene from The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I can't seem to get it to embed here, so I'll leave you with a link to youtube.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Amazing pics.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
So many precious lives lost because they believed the lies of elites of their time.

Very sadly nothing has changed to this day.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Who says "2nd line" in their OP? haha. awesome pics, could turn a few of them into golf courses

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Reply to post by acrux

What lies? explain your accusations. Are you automatically a liar because your elite?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by UnixFE

Nature shows it can restore herself in those pictures actually. There are white trees and all sorts of amazing beauty that tops alot of places. I'd say it shows that nature still loves passionately because of the beuty that has overgrown the once war torn landscape. There's no need to bring your degradation thinking that nature will let abandon us in here.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by acrux
So many precious lives lost because they believed the lies of elites of their time.

Very sadly nothing has changed to this day.

What lies? Stupid reasons for fighting sure. Idiotic war tactics (headlong rush of machine guns DUH!).

But no lies.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilder

Wow, there were some very interesting pics. That tells you how powerful those shells were back then, that the explosions could be heard nearly 200 miles away!. When one of those 1500 pound shells dropped, 100 soldiers could have easily disappeared in a red mist with absolutely nothing left to indicate they ever lived except the memories of the men standing next to them. When you heard the whistling of the bombs, you knew you were dead.
edit on 11-11-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
from wwii . the fauld crater

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I found a bomb in my back yard a year ago but i"ll keep it for later..nice pics..

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
video of the Hawthorn crater it was a mine laid by the Brits firstworldwar.com... from the link

Hawthorn Crater was one of the 17 mines that were exploded by the British on the morning of 1 July 1916 to signal the start of the Somme offensive. It is one of the few remaining craters (along with, notably, Lochnagar), however its chief claim to fame is two-fold.

Firstly, the Hawthorn Crater was the first to be blown that day, at 0720 - eight minutes before any of the remaining 16; and secondly because the explosion itself was actually captured on film.
though you might like it
If someone should ask why the poppies, tell them this www.worldwar1.com...

In Flanders Fields
By John McCrae

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row by row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard among the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe;
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If yea break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
fitting then as it is now
the other crater still seen today or so told www.greatwar.co.uk... a side note, for this i have not been able to prove or disprove; The Poppy's the grew before the war were not red, but Orange after the fields were soaked with blood of the fallen, did the poppy's start to turn red, it is said that you can plant an Orange poppy , soon it too will turn red.

edit on 11-11-2011 by bekod because: editting

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Those are some great pictures, makes you think how many times this could have happened in the past. How many landmarks around your home might have been created through some type of warfare? Never know..

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilder

wow these pics are amaizing........aslo some of this topography looks alot like the surfaces of other planets.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bilder
www.coolcrack.com...

After a hundred years the earth is still showing scars from WW1
2nd line

and after ALMOST a hundred year later, we have not learnt a thing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join