It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winter is Coming: 15 Tips to Keep you Safe & Comfortable During a Power Outage

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Very good list of helpful hints.

I would disagree on the use of Propane heater inside the home.

Propane emits very little carbon Monoxide.

Propane emits carbon Dioxide when burned, which is CO2, only harmful in very extreme levels. One can create “low oxygen” levels in a sealed environment burning propane, but using a propane heater in a large room…well no worries.

My primary heat source for years has been a propane powered heater, it has a low oxygen shutoff, which has never happened, but the safeguard is there f ever needed.

For peace of mind we employee Carbon Monoxide detectors as well, which have never alarmed, but again the safeguard is in use.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

It sounds like pure hell to me.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

That's what I was gona say.. If you live up north put the freezer stuff outside, and for the food in the fridge, just a get a cardboard box or something and insulate it so the food wont freeze. Good tips op, as you said pretty much all common sense, that most do not utilize.

U

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
One other thing. If you have a sloped driveway, and you know an ice storm is heading your way. Park your best all weather vehicle down on a level area from your driveway.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
One other thing. If you have a sloped driveway, and you know an ice storm is heading your way. Park your best all weather vehicle down on a level area from your driveway.

do you use studded winter tires, or chains during the winter, Destinyone?

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604

Originally posted by Destinyone

do you use studded winter tires, or chains during the winter, Destinyone?

When it's really bad...4-wheeler. Otherwise, 4 wheel drive jeep with winter tires, have chains if needed. Also have an array of come-alongs on hand. Have a chain one, and a super heavy duty nylon, and steel cable one.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Something I don't think that's been mentioned yet is snow shovelling.

If you get a huge dump of snow, DO NOT over-exert yourself clearing snow from around your house. Take your time, do it in little increments, get the kids to help. Try to "push" the snow out of the way, rather than lifting it and throwing it... especially if it's heavy wet snow. Push it away in layers starting from the top and working your way down to the ground, don't try to push a huge amount all at once... the last thing you want is a slipped disk in your spine !

Or better yet, a gas powered snowblower can be your best friend in a winter storm... it's literally a heart-saving investment.

The increase of people keeling over from heart attacks after shovelling snow in the winter is tenfold compared to any other time of the year. And if there's a power outage, you can't expect an ambulance to be able to get to you in a timely manner, if they're even able to you at all.

Also remember to at least keep the snow cleared around your exterior doors on a regular basis. Those of us who are all too familiar will annual blizzards, we know how quickly the snow can swirl around and drift up against the doors... it's not pretty trying to shovel your way out of your own home !

I have many memories of waking up in the morning to find a 4 foot snow drift up against my front door... so keep an extra shovel in your house.

edit on 6-11-2011 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Great thread and S & F from me. I need a little am/fm radio because I don't have a decent one. Also need flares to keep in the car as I thought that was a great idea if I broke down in a snow bank in the ditch off the road at least with a flare I'd draw attention to myself. Have been through plenty of snowstorms and never drive in them if not necessary. Hoping this winter is a mild one.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Having an ATV or a snowmobile is a must for rural living during the winter!! When a state emergency is declared for excessive snow fall you really cannot use your cars with the roads unplowed. Hence atvs and snow machines make it much easier to get out and about during the winter. I have a big utility quad its not a 4x4 (tear) but it gets through most stuff.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Here's something I did when power went out in 2005 during a freeze here in Reno:

1. Power went out I immediately took all the extra blankets and placed them against the windows to keep the cold from creeping in too much, and to avoid letting too much heat out too fast.

2. I had plenty of candles and I ONLY used them at night or when light conditions were so poor that they had to be used. Flashlights were for when I ran out of candles.

3. I kept my meats in a cooler on my balcony. Same with the milk and other perishables.

I had a small grill that I used to fire cook all of my food. I also had a camping kit.

I still keep all of this stuff around just in case something like that happens again. Only now I'm a little more high tech about it.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Good post.

I pretty much have all you listed plus, a wood stove.

It works without any power and I can also cook on it.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The best little gadget I have bought in years was my little Heat Buddy www.mrheater.com... I use it in my garage and I have used used it during a winter power outage. I just set it up in a smaller room of the house and it heats quite well.

I also keep plenty of portable propane bottles on hand to run it as well as to run a small propane burner and lantern. All of which are safe to use indoors. I also have a Vargo alcohol burner in my camping gear which can be used for basic cooking as well. It too is safe to use indoors with caution of course.

Dress in layers, burn candles and rediscover reading and simple board games to pass the time.

Stove top coffee percolators or a french press are also a nice things to add to your comfort kit. Nothing like hot coffee on a cold morning.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join