It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winter is Coming: 15 Tips to Keep you Safe & Comfortable During a Power Outage

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
4 major points that are affected with a power outage: Light, Heat, Water and Refrigeration. Take care to pay attention to these areas and you will stand more of a chance of riding out the outage with as little hardship as possible.

This is a good list but it is lacking somewhat. It doesn't mention keeping emergency supplies in the car as well in case of break down. Blankets, boots, dry socks (Very important) flares, water, food, shovel, rope, flash light etc. Although this should be common sense but it's surprising how many people have nothing but a tire iron and a wrench in their trunks.

It also doesn't mention stocking up on your medications if need be. Try to have at least a week supply because you may not get out to the pharmacy. And even if you do, it may not be open.

Also, check on elderly neighbors. Are they ok? Do they need food, water, blankets or even just a friendly face popping in to say hello? If necessary, bring them to your house if they aren't set up for themselves.

More helpful tips here as well: www.bt.cdc.gov...

And still more on alternative Heating Methods: www.avianweb.com...

Amyways, have a great winter, be safe and remember...Only YOU can prevent forest fires. ..oops, wrong thread!

Winter '98 Quebec

Please add more as you see fit. If one person finds something useful here and it helps them in a blackout, it was worth the thread.

www.activistpost.com...

1. Have flashlights ready in multiple, easily accessible locations around your home. Be sure to also have plenty of fresh, spare batteries. You need one really great flashlight but it is also nice to have a bunch of small, handheld LED handheld flashlights.

2. Have emergency candles plus matches available as well a candle lantern, oil lamp, or propane lantern. Be sure to include some longer, fireplace type matches or a butane wand for lighting fires in your fireplace or outdoors in a fire pit.

3. Have either a battery-operated radio, solar radio or hand crank radio so that you can stay in touch with the world. Make sure your radio is in working condition by testing it at least once a year.

4. Learn how to cook over an open fire, using charcoal or wood or even biomass.

5. Make sure you have a manual can opener for opening cans of food. If you are a coffee drinker, also have a French press available as well as pre-ground coffee.

6. Fill the empty space in your freezer with containers of water. Frozen water will displace air and keep food cold longer if the power goes out. Remember to leave space in containers for ice to expand. Empty milk cartons can be re-purposed in this manner.

7. If you use a land-line, have at least one phone with a handset cord in your home. Many cordless phones will not work in a power outage. Cell phone users should keep their cell phones charged and, at the very least, pick up a cell phone car charger (less than $5) so you can charge the cell in your car if it runs down.

8. If you have an automatic garage door opener, learn how to use the release to open your garage door manually. Keep the instructions handy – perhaps taped to the inside of a closet door – so you don’t have to search for them when the time comes.

9. Keep your automobile’s fuel tank at least half full. Many gas stations will not be in operation during a power outage. And please – fill up your tank if a major storm is predicted.

10. Once the power goes out, unplug sensitive electrical equipment such as computers, printers, televisions, and audio equipment. When the power comes back on, there may be power spikes that can damage delicate electronics. I know, it has happened to me. Keeping these items plugged in to surge protector helps but it is still best to unplug these items from the wall completely.

11. Do not open refrigerators or freezers any more than necessary. An unopened refrigerator will keep food cold for approximately 4 hours, an unopened freezer will keep food frozen for approximately 24 hours and even longer if it is located in a cold garage. You will need to throw away any food items that become warmer than 41 degrees. No testing, no tasting. To the garbage it goes. Sorry, that is just the way it is.

12. Keep a supply of books, board games, playing cards and other items available to keep you entertained and amused during a power outage. A bit of chocolate and a bottle or two of wine or whiskey would also help in the amusement area.

13. Be wary of the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning, which is caused from exposure to odorless fumes created by charcoal grills, camping stoves or generators that are operated inside a home or garage. Never, ever burn charcoal or use gasoline or propane-powered equipment inside your home. Don’t even do it in your garage or on your porch. Use such equipment only when you’re completely outdoors.

14. Notify your power company in advance if you use special healthcare equipment like oxygen generators or dialysis equipment that require power. Most power companies have the ability to note this in their records and will prioritize the response to your home.

15. If your budget allows, acquire a portable generator. Learn to safely use your generator and test it monthly. And don’t forget to store enough fuel to run the generator for up to a week. Remember, your portable generator does not have to run full time. Your refrigerator will be just fine without power over night when it is not being opened and closed repeatedly.

So that's the blackout stuff. Not all but good enough for a few days if you adhere to it. But what about Beyond a blackout?

Great info here: www.backwoodshome.com...

Peace

edit on 5-11-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Thanks for bringing this up as winter approaches. Nice list. Many people die unecessary deaths during winter time power outages.

During a winter time power outage, the entire house-hold should sleep together in a single room to maximize warmth generated by body heat and breathing.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi
reply to post by jude11

Thanks for bringing this up as winter approaches. Nice list. Many people die unecessary deaths during winter time power outages.

During a winter time power outage, the entire house-hold should sleep together in a single room to maximize warmth generated by body heat and breathing.

Yup,

As small of a room as possible. Put blankets on the floor if possible as well. Depends on the floor insulation. Cover the windows if they are not winterized properly.

Snuggle up and stay warm!

Peace

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Emergency backup heat sources are not all that expensive: wallyworld has "Mr.buddy" portable indoor safe propane heaters(9,000 to14,000 BTU) for $85.00 ;1lbpropane camping cylinders last 3-6hours (hi-lo settings) packages of 2 bottles for around $5.00.Or buy the adapter hose for the 20lb gas-grill type cylinders. We use them in enclosed deer stands up here. Indoor Kerosene heaters are around $110.00

edit on 5-11-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
As soon as I saw this, all I could think about was the TV show "Game of Thrones" "Winter is coming" has to be one of the most re-occuring sayings.

Great for raising awareness!

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
if it is winter, and the winters where you are are as harsh as the winters over here, you don't even need to worry about your freezer. It is better keeping the stuff that needs to be kept cold outside (in a tamperproof container where the animals can't get to it, lol) , where it is colder than your freezer ever will be, and you will need wood. dried and already chopped into the right size, and make sure you have a bucket that you can put on the fire, you will need to melt snow or ice for drinking water.

also make sure you have something thick to sleep on, and something like deerskin to sleep on...

I go a lot in winter to the mountain cabin where we have no water, no electricity, etc.....
edit on 5/11/2011 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE
Emergency backup heat sources are not all that expensive: wallyworld has "Mr.buddy" portable indoor safe propane heaters(9,000 to14,000 BTU) for $85.00 ;1lbpropane camping cylinders last 3-6hours (hi-lo settings) packages of 2 bottles for around $5.00.Or buy the adapter hose for the 20lb gas-grill type cylinders. We use them in enclosed deer stands up here. Indoor Kerosene heaters are around $110.00

edit on 5-11-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

I know quite a few people that have these and swear by them.

Great info!

Peace

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
if it is winter, and the winters where you are are as harsh as the winters over here, you don't even need to worry about your freezer. It is better keeping the stuff that needs to be kept cold outside (in a tamperproof container where the animals can't get to it, lol) , where it is colder than your freezer ever will be, and you will need wood. dried and already chopped into the right size, and make sure you have a bucket that you can put on the fire, you will need to melt snow or ice for drinking water.

also make sure you have something thick to sleep on, and something like deerskin to sleep on...

I go a lot in winter to the mountain cabin where we have no water, no electricity, etc.....
edit on 5/11/2011 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

I know many people around where I live have a freezer in the garage as well as the house so no problem there.

It's the apartment dwellers that will have more of a problem with small deep freezers.

If there is an outage, put the contents on the balcony if it's really cold.

A few jugs of water frozen in the deep freeze will keep the food longer and there will also be water if need be.

Peace

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Winter is coming?

No, it's not.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Thanks for posting that.

I went to look around that website and started to watch a video about the 37 food items you must always have. I was really interested, but the political overtone became too much. I wanted to slap the narrator while telling him that I don't care about political BS (from either side), I just want to know how to be prepared.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garfee
Winter is coming?

No, it's not.

Maybe not in Australia, but Canada is getting cold in da mornings...

Cheers!

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Garfee

Well look at you, Mr. Southern Hemisphere (or Ms. Southern Hemisphere). Aren't you just special with your impending summer and non-freezing temperatures.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by riddle6
reply to post by jude11

Thanks for posting that.

I went to look around that website and started to watch a video about the 37 food items you must always have. I was really interested, but the political overtone became too much. I wanted to slap the narrator while telling him that I don't care about political BS (from either side), I just want to know how to be prepared.

Yeah, in a black out, ain't no time for politicians.

hmmm...Should be that way with the lights on as well.

Good info on the sites otherwise.

Peace

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Thanks for the post Jude. A very worthwhile thread indeed. Got me thinking cause Western New York Winters can sometimes be a bit harsh. I've been winterizing the house the last couple of weeks,new weather stripping and got the last of my new windows installed today. We have an emergency radio as well as a couple of battery operated shortwave recievers. I collect oil lamps so no problem with light (my whole collection works). I have a good propane grill set up in the garage so a place to cook just open the door for ventilation, also have a spare propane cylinder.

I like the idea with the heaters,think I'll pick one up next week. Have a chest style freezer in the basement.Should last a couple of days. Everything in it is vacuum packed as we have a machine that does that. Also have much food canned by my girlfriend. I've been looking at generators lately, Any suggestions?

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by riddle6

I couldn't help but rub it in.

There are great tips for next winter on this thread though, thanks all.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I almost made a thread about this after I was reading threads about the most bacteria filled surfaces, but I think the most important thing for me that has kept me pretty healthy is that I wear a hat, almost constantly. It started maybe 4 or 5 years ago when I noticed my scalp was starting to thin. But over the years, I noticed that I was not getting sick as much anymore. It was notoriously easy for me to get sick sleeping with the fan on, but not anymore: I started wearing wool caps at night. I was even able to turn the thermostat down.

My hair may not look good every time I need it to, but they have kept me healthier, thus happier.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I've had to survive twice during no power during freezing cold temperatures. It really is one of the worst things that can happen depending on how long it goes on and how prepared you are.

When Igor hit NL a lot of us had no power for up to 3 days, I always had a giant blanket around me and I was still freezing my balls off. There was nothing to do, couldn't get comfortable enough to read. Every bit of flame that could be conjured was so friendly and awesome. When I was a kid I'd go out in the freezing cold, -20/30 and just chill for ten minutes and then head back in, just because the warmth was amazing. Makes you appreciate life a lot more when you are able to get comfortable and relax. Electricity is something that is, but shouldn't be taken for granted.

Dry socks, canned foods, means of safe fire, radio operation and blankets. Lots of blankets.
edit on 5/11/11 by murkraz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha
Thanks for the post Jude. A very worthwhile thread indeed. Got me thinking cause Western New York Winters can sometimes be a bit harsh. I've been winterizing the house the last couple of weeks,new weather stripping and got the last of my new windows installed today. We have an emergency radio as well as a couple of battery operated shortwave recievers. I collect oil lamps so no problem with light (my whole collection works). I have a good propane grill set up in the garage so a place to cook just open the door for ventilation, also have a spare propane cylinder.

I like the idea with the heaters,think I'll pick one up next week. Have a chest style freezer in the basement.Should last a couple of days. Everything in it is vacuum packed as we have a machine that does that. Also have much food canned by my girlfriend. I've been looking at generators lately, Any suggestions?

I guess that depends on how big you want it.

Here's a small one that can put out 400 watts:
www.thinkgeek.com...

And for 5-6000 watts, here's a good list and not expensive.
www.nextag.com...

Peace

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
I almost made a thread about this after I was reading threads about the most bacteria filled surfaces, but I think the most important thing for me that has kept me pretty healthy is that I wear a hat, almost constantly. It started maybe 4 or 5 years ago when I noticed my scalp was starting to thin. But over the years, I noticed that I was not getting sick as much anymore. It was notoriously easy for me to get sick sleeping with the fan on, but not anymore: I started wearing wool caps at night. I was even able to turn the thermostat down.

My hair may not look good every time I need it to, but they have kept me healthier, thus happier.

One can never say too much about the importance of a good hat. Hat for the head, socks for the feet, long underwear and a good sweater will keep a lot of chill at bay.

Peace

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
oh yes, I also have a largish battery pack (56Ah) with an inverter. I keep the battery pack permanently charged (trickle charge). It is handy in a power outage (or if you hit the arctic outback, but for that I have a smaller, 17Ah) pack. These battery packs are not for a hairdryer, or TV or microwave oven, but should I need to charge my GPS, mobile phones, laptop, radio, etc, etc..... Also be aware that battery capacity decreases with cold, so you might have a couple of extra sets of rechargeable batteries in a fairly warmish place, and they do self-charge, so you need to recharge them once every couple of weeks. You also get some nice torches, that uses a LED, and that you just need to shake to charge it's battery. I find them great, and have a couple of them in the cabin, and at home.

<<   2  3 >>

join