It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Devils Tower (Pictures)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I always wanted to go see this ever since I saw the movie, long ago. It looks pretty big, yet some how I thought it was much bigger than even this.

It really is a beautiful piece of land.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by emaildogs

Hi emaildogs

Devils Tower was first seen by white explorers during a US. Geological Survey in 1875.
The surveyors called the rock 'Devils Tower' after an old Indian name, 'The Bad God's Tower
Devils Tower was a greatly honored vision quest site of the Indians, which has continued to the present time
Devils Tower has been a sacred place of Native Americans since prehistoric times. Various legends are told about the origin of the tower.
To this day Devil's Tower in Wyoming, with its scarred sides and flat top, remains as a token of the Great Spirit's kindness to, and watchfulness over little children.

Devils Tower is where Sweet Medicine died and it is his final earthly resting place. Sweet Medicine is the great culture hero of the Cheyenne who brought the Four Sacred Arrows to the tribe. The Four Sacred Arrows’ sanctuary was located within a secret cave on the south side of Bear’s Lodge.1 Sweet Medicine also founded the Cheyenne Warrior Societies, tribal government, special laws, and ceremonies. As Sweet Medicine lay dying in a hut by Bear’s Lodge, he foretold a dark prophecy of the coming of the horse; the disappearance of the old ways and the buffalo, to be replaced by slick animals with split hoofs the people must learn to eat (cattle). He told of the coming of white men, strangers called Earth Men who could fly above the earth, take thunder from light, and dig up the earth and drain it until it was dead.

The reason the offerings are left there is because its a holy place to the american Indians to seek a vision for a variety of reasons: to give thanks, to ask for spiritual guidance, or simply to pray in solitude..Peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Your very welcome mblahnikluver,Im glad you enjoyed the thread! Close Encounters is also one of my favorite movies ..Devil's Tower is probley the most interesting places ive ever gone to if you get a chance please do go you will love it..Peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Hello gimme_some_truth, Devils Tower doesn't look that big but when your standing at the base of it its huge took my husband and i 2 hours to walk around it ..You can also climb Devils Tower but the American Indian people have expressed concerns over recreational climbing at Devils Tower. Some perceive climbing on the Tower as a desecration to their sacred site.(I agree) Peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Sugarcookie,your next trip has to be the Grand Canyon.
If you have never been there,it is the most awe inspiring place I have ever seen.
And,only a short 4 hours away to the west is Las Vegas for a little partying.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Hi kdog1982, My parents took me to the Grand Canyon when i was a kid but i don't rember much about it id love to take a trip there again im sure it is an inspiring place maybe i can get out there next summer im saving my coins
Peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Wow, that place is real? I thought it was just a fictional thing from "Close Encounters".

Can you please re-upload the pictures somewhere else like imgur, cause the images have exceeded their bandwidth limit so they are unable to be viewed.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Hi C0bzz..Give me a day and i will see if i can load them somewhere else..And yes this is a real place
Peace,sugarcookie1

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join