It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study shows that Public School teachers are overpaid.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Well duh, like this comes as a shock to anyone living in the real world.

New Study Shows Public School Teachers Are Overpaid

Despite the public perception that public school teachers in general are underpaid, Jason Richwine, senior policy analyst at the Heritage Foundation and co-author of “Assessing the Compensation of Public-School Teachers,” says “the reality is that it’s just not true. There’s no way to look at the data and conclude that they are underpaid. They are certainly paid more than they can get if they work in the private sector…” In fact, Richwine found that “public-school teachers receive compensation about 52% higher than their skills would otherwise garner in the private sector.”

The reason for the study is that “We want to reform the way teachers are paid. We want to pay the good teachers a lot and the bad teachers not much, or move them out of the profession. We can’t really [get] reform of that kind without understanding the current situation.”

Previous studies that show teachers to be underpaid have grievous flaws and leave out critically important pieces of the compensation package, says Richwine. Most studies that show teachers as underpaid don’t take into account the richer retirement plans provided to teachers, their post-retirement health insurance coverage, and their shorter work year. In addition, job security is provably higher in teaching than in the private sector, says Richwine. Finally, under current practice it’s hard not only to pay the good teachers what they’re worth, it’s hard to know who those teachers are.

The New American

They've got the unions holding the municipalities by the balls and absolutely no accountability whatsoever. Is it any wonder they get paid way over what their skills are worth in the private sector?

In fact, for some reason, damn near every government job seems to be paid way over the going rate for the same job in the private sector. In hard economic times like this, maybe we should take a long, hard look at government salaries and determine whether they aren't overpaying everyone in the public sector with our tax money.

Public sector jobs are considered the Holy Grail of employment by most job seekers because of the great pay rates and free benifits. With all of these generous pay packages coming out of the pockets of hard pressed local taxpayers, is this system really sustainable anymore?

edit on 11/3/11 by FortAnthem because: Damn public scoll teachers didn't even teach me to spell "school" properly.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
School*

Maybe they aren't paid enough...

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Sorry but based on how you spelled 'school' in your thread title I'm going to venture you are a product of the USA's fine public education system. I had to point it out.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
The irony.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by americanbuffalo1
Sorry but based on how you spelled 'school' in your thread title I'm going to venture you are a product of the USA's fine public education system. I had to point it out.

You got me there.

See; that's even more evidence that they are overpaid!

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I really hope your not one of them.

link   
Ever been to my school?
Teachers only teach you what is on their Curriculum. They only teach you whatever is in the book and they only grade you based on how much work you do, not if you understand it. The education system is a joke. Most teachers only care if you get the work done so they can get paid and go home. Grades are all based on how much work you've done.

I even have a Web Design class where 20% of your class grade comes from dressing up in a business suit on Wednesday and shaking hands. I thought it was supposed to be a web design class yet the only thing we are learning is how to read the Dreamweaver manual and how to not shake someone's hand. It ridiculous.

Kids are taking tons of AP classes in hopes they can find a good college when the only thing that matters is the cash and your SAT scores.

link   
Teachers should be paid more than politicians.... shoot me if you must but they are responsible for our future 8 hours out of the day. I'm willing to bet that teachers making more than the tiny freaking amount they make now, would take more pride in their jobs and do it a lot better.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
All that to keep in mind as a "teaching" degree is one of the easiest to get. These teachers can perform poorly in earning a simple degree and get paid better than, say, a physicist graduating with honors earning a real degree.

And they turn out a product that gets worse and worse every year. The can lower the standards and still watch scores drop year after year...

The whole thing is a scam.

+15 more 
posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
As long as we are paying athletes, movie stars and politicians MORE than we are paying teachers, they are underpaid as far as I am concerned.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Imply that public school teachers are overpaid...then misspell 'school'. The irony is delicious.

The problem in America is that parents expect teachers to babysit their children for beans. If you saw the average level of intelligence of most school aged kids these days you'd see that teachers are fighting an uphill battle.

If parents expect the bar to be set high-- they should expect to pay a fair wage for the service.
These days public schools in America are a place to put kids to keep them off of the streets, nothing more and nothing less.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
As long as we are paying athletes, movie stars and politicians MORE than we are paying teachers, they are underpaid as far as I am concerned.

Exactly.. Anytime we have teachers needing a weekend job to stay afloat, it shows we have SERIOUS priority issues.
edit on 3-11-2011 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

You got me there.

See; that's even more evidence that they are overpaid!

Just having fun. But in a serious note we do have several problems with our education system and the fact they're public employees really compounds the issue. It is unfortunate as I have several friends who are educators and can say they are certainly underpaid for what they put into the job. That said just like any public sector entity there is an inadequate use of financial resources.

Just wanted to add there is an old axiom which says something to the affect of, - all work has equal value -
edit on 11/3/2011 by americanbuffalo1 because: addendum

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I agree fully and I know for a fact that they over paid because two of my siblings are public school teachers. One in Georgia who is making 75k and the other in NY making 90k. Granted they both love working with children and did not choose the profession for the money or time off like many teachers nowadays but c'mon. I've argued a point that if they did my job as a water plant operator and messed up, 200,000 plus people could be affected. Now I can come and teach a class of children for a day with no consequences because I've been there and done that before. How much do I get paid?...50k

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I disagree, when it comes to education I think they all need to be paid more. Educating people, teaching them how to spell (for one), manage a checkbook and accounts through Math could only serve to help people better understand to live within their means and not live off credit. Teaching that we are all equal and there is no better or worse race could only serve to stop hate and racism. Education is the only way to free you self from being a slave. "Emancipate yourself from mental slavery" - Marley
edit on 3-11-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by I See You

My wife is a teacher here in GA. She makes something hovering around 33k.... 75k though??? really???

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

But "teachers" aren't educating anyone. They're only teaching them to be good slaves anymore.

To educate people is a noble profession. To fill heads with crap under the guise of eduction ought to be a crime.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
If you look at the issue closely you will see the pay is reflected by the taxing district with which they receive their funding. The wealthier the tax district the wealthier the school district. For instance I went to two of the top school districts in Illinois and I remember back in the mid 80's I heard of high school teachers who were making over $100k towards the end of their teaching tenure. So you have to really understand there are some overpaid & many underpaid educators in this country.

School districts submit budgets for approval and if the the tax district is wealthy and collects large tax dollars the district gets a bigger peiece of the public money pie. Now to ensure they receive the money budgeted for this year they make sure they spent every last dollar of the previous years budget and perhaps even see fit to say they need more next time. Some of the ways in which the money is spent is astounding in the wealthy districts and quite dismal in low wealth districts. I'm sure we are all aware of this to some degree. Depending upon where you live the salary of a teacher can vary greatly.
edit on 11/3/2011 by americanbuffalo1 because: More to say on subject

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
reply to post by I See You

My wife is a teacher here in GA. She makes something hovering around 33k.... 75k though??? really???

She teaches in Marion county. Lives in Buford. Supposedly second best school county in America.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by TreadUpon

You have to educate yourself too, but knowing how to read, write, communicate, and do some basic math will only help you to survive in the wicked world we live in.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join