It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study shows that Public School teachers are overpaid.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
My ass! Being a teacher sounds terrible. You have to be there everyday just like a student, and even come an hour before and after class starts. You have to grade papers, tests, essays, create assignments, quizzes, tests, that's no easy work IMO. I think teachers should be paid a lot more to be honest.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
As i read through the thread and postings I have realized how we mismanage human resource, I suppose the point is we have all these children which we guarantee an education so we go about it and a very general fashion and don't evolve the process as we learn the do's and don'ts. Then to look back over a hundred years and see what was an education then. Fundamentals which are no longer held in as high esteem. We are in essence becoming dumber by our own doing.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Depends on the teacher. Some of the teachers my son had should not be paid jack but should be fired. But this year I am happy to say that I think my children's teachers are rock stars and should be paid accordingly. Boise School District passed a law allowing schools to hire and fire based upon performance without all the red tape of the past. Basically if you suck your fired. They hired new teachers at our school and they are awesome and fresh and creative. My kids LOVE them and so do I.
So, over paid? Depends on the teacher. I would gladly pay my kids teachers 100k a year. Sucky teacher get 30k...lol

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by outandopen

Good point, I've had some awful teachers over the years. One of them in high school would show up 5-10 minutes late to class, sit on her computer for another 10 minutes, then discuss current events with the class for another 10 minutes, and that would leave us with like 15-20 minutes to go through notes, which we wouldn't even get close to finishing. Then the test would come up, and she usually wouldn't remind us. People would bomb it because they were unprepared, and she would lecture us on how bad of students we were. Plus she was pregnant, and kind of a bitch. :shk:
edit on 3-11-2011 by TupacShakur because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
One thing that I've noticed from the people who post here is that those from the South seem to have the perception that teachers are underpaid while those from the North share the perception that teachers are overpaid. The poster from Georgia, I believe, said they barely make 35k a year after quite a few years teaching while the teachers in my backyard often make six figures easy.

I wonder if the study takes into account where the teachers come from and how their states vote in terms of red state vs blue state? (yeah, I know, probably not)

I would hazard to guess that red states have more controls on teacher unions while the blue states give them everything they want and then some. Most red states are in the South, which would account for the perception that they are underpaid while the blue Northern states pay their teachers a whole lot more and probably can afford to do so with their larger tax base.

The red states hold the "consrvative" position that teachers are overvalued and overpaid and, as a result, swing the pendulum far in the other direction and end up underpaying their teachers, even the good ones. The blue states, on the other hand, are in the pockets of the teachers unions and, as a result, many people who live in those blue states think their teachers are overpaid.

We need to find a proper balance somewhere in the middle that rewards the good teachers and makes it possible to toss out the bad and provides the good teachers with a strong living wage for the work they do across the board.

They also need to cut out the interferance of the DOE and allow local districts to create their own curriculums that fit the needs of the local students. Cookie-cutter solutions dreamed up in Washington (or even Texas for that matter where most school books come from) can never suffice for every locality. We need to restore control of the curriculum to the local school districts so they can experiment to find what methods have the best results for the local students.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
We should just do away with school and just go straight for Ritual Abuse.

That oughta indoctrinate them nicely.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
My mom is a teacher
Special ed to be exact...

She barely makes enough to get by, trust me in the state of Kentucky...
Teachers are not over paid!

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Lol a study that says teachers make too much money , wow did anybody really look at how bad the education system is, wow seriously, there suposed to raise our kids in a inteligent way so they can achieve something in life.

I call foul, doctors, teachers, scientist should make the big bucks, not bankers, not baseball players, people who do bring something to this society we live in should have more money...

Just my 2 cents
edit on 3-11-2011 by GodefroydeBouillon because: put in the right letters eheh

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
They think they are overpaid?

LOL

No wonder American Public Schools are G A W D AWFUL

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Yea and I am sure this cenus group knows exactly what teachers they believe are "good" and which one are "bad." Its the teachers who teach by the book that are "good" they are also the most determintal to humanity. Trust me I know, I come from a longggg line of teachers in my family.

Private school kids are usually your upper middle class kids where their biggest problem is not being able to afford the new iphone or whatever gadget. Yea the "normal" woe is me BS.

While the public sector deals with students across the board. Meaning along with the kids that I described above, you also get the kids that have real problems. Like parents that do not exist or wearing the same clothes every day, or having to rely on friends for food at lunch time.

Teachers all around don't get paid enough. Every teacher public and private know and understand this. The dont battle eachother over a few thousand dollars knowing that someone on Wall Street or Congress make millions doing nothing.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I never got how they were supposed to be underpaid. They make at least 40 grand a year and get 3 months off in the summer.

Most teachers suck anyway, they get paid to sit behind a desk and hand out worksheets

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
DUMBEST ARTICLE EVER

had to start with that because its is true. Having been a school teacher I can tell you that teachers are way underpaid in most urban school districts. Being a teacher requires a great deal of education. Its not just a four year degree, but you MUST continue your education in order to stay a teacher. So a majority of teachers get a masters degree.

The US Dept of Labor considers teachers to be of the same education level as Doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc because over your career as a teacher, you will end up taking many hours of classes. So the educational cost is rather high.

Then consider that you have principles breathing down your neck about test scores that the Dept of Ed. uses to decide budgets. Parents who are up your butt about why their kid never does homework and gets bad grades, and blames you for their lack of any manners and all their bad behavior. Students, who are often time a risk to your personal health and safety considering how many germs they bring in. If you work in the inner city you have to deal with lice, fleas, kids who are starving, and dangerous kids who get violent often (my wife, also a teacher, is 8 mos pregnant and had to break up a fight because one kid almost choked another to death and security wasn't coming fast enough, she was hit in the stomach, luckily there was no harm done).

So yeah, some jerk off who works at a research foundation is going to tell me that people in my line of work are overpaid?? Some jerk off who hasn't spent time out in the trenches, tried to piece together a life with crappy pay and too many student loans, dealing with all the above mentioned drama which is really not even a drop in the bucket has decided this for everyone??

some jerk off needs to get punched in the mouth for talking about things he doesn't truly know about.

I'm not normally a violent/mean/angry person but this article struck a nerve.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Oh I thought you meant a real study.
Heritage foundation. Lol

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I graduated class of 2010 and it seems like teachers spent more time disciplining than teaching. Even in an all senior class- 17 and 18-year olds- the lack of self-control of the students was unbelievable. Some days it was complete chaos. Parents, if you really value education then make sure your child knows how to behave in public. That is, with manners and self-control rather than like a primitive animal. Teaching is one of the last things I would want to do.

In my college English class, the professor had to give a lesson on the difference between a complete sentence and a fragment because so many students couldn't even form a complete sentence in their essays. That's just ridiculous. That's something they should have been able to do by the time they were in 1st or 2nd grade.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Well, I hate to put a different spin on it, but what if it's the private sector teachers that are getting underpaid instead of the other way around?

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
As mentioned above, studies can be made to add up to anything the funding organization wishes (just ask the cigarette companies!). I am sure these studies don't take into account civic budgets and class size, let alone financial contribution inequities from PAC's between wealthy and poor neighbourhoods.

Again as far as union bashing goes I repost:

"With all their faults, trade unions have done more for humanity than any other organization of men that ever existed. They have done more for decency, for honesty, for education, for the betterment of the race, for the developing of character in man, than any other association of men."
Clarence Darrow

"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms is treason. If a man tells you he trusts America, yet fears labor, he is a fool. There is no America without labor, and to fleece the one is to rob the other."
Abraham Lincoln

"If capitalism is fair then unionism must be. If men have a right to capitalize their ideas and the resources of their country, then that implies the right of men to capitalize their labor."
Frank Lloyd Wright

"The labor movement means just this: It is the last noble protest of the American people against the power of incorporated wealth."
Wendell Phillips

"The American labor movement has consistently demonstrated its devotion to the public interest. It is, and has been, good for all America. Those who would destroy or further limit the rights of organized labor--those who cripple collective bargaining or prevent organization of the unorganized--do a disservice to the cause of democracy."
John F. Kennedy

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration."
Abraham Lincoln

My friends, it is solidarity of labor we want. We do not want to find fault with each other, but to solidify our forces and say to each other: "We must be together; our masters are joined together and we must do the same thing."
Mother Jones

Cheers,

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Over paid for the simple fact how many days of the year do they work? Holidays off with pay etc. don't think anyone will argue the public education system in this country is broken but let's get real there are two reasons:

1. Anything the Government touches get's messed up
2. The solution is always just throw more money at the problem.

So why reward faliure? oh i know because they "Deserve it".

Another thing i am pondering is why are teachers even union to begin with what the state is going to screw them over?

The aren't a big bad evil corporations.

Things that make you go hmmm but already knew interesting note the decline of Americans intelligence began with the creation of the Department of Education.
edit on 3-11-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

As long as we are paying athletes, movie stars and politicians MORE than we are paying teachers, they are underpaid as far as I am concerned.

I haven't paid a movie star or athlete a dime in nearly a decade.
And if I could stop paying politicians, I would.
Same with unproductive teachers.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
School is in dire need of reformation. From what I've seen (I'm a junior in a public high school), teachers are far more interested in you passing the test than actually learning anything from the material. My English teacher is constantly going about how he needs to make sure our assignments "adhere to the state standards." Well you know what I say? To hell with the state standards! To think that every child learns the same way and we need standardization and uniformity in schools is absurd!

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Exclusive! Shameful Teacher greed threatens CEO bonuses and corporate bailouts.Are teachers a threat to national security?Shapeshifting terrorists even?Is hanging too good for them?Where do they hide their gold? We want to know what you think.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join