It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tough Guy Image

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I notice that there are guys(and sometimes gals) that pride themselves on looking and being tough. They try to make there muscles bigger and their chests puffed out. They like to fight and they think that physical man power will help protect them from the world. My question is why do you think that some people are caught in this philosophy of being physically strong and aggressive is the only way to stay safe?

Look forward to hearing your input.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

High self esteem and low IQ

second line.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Ah second poster beat me to it.

Sometimes i think that humans are being influenced by the animals around us and that some might be reverting back to animal like instincts. Its good to be in shape and to keep your body healthy but to just go around acting like a jackass to make one feel good about themselves, i dont get it.
Being a nice honest person will get you way more respect, or it used to.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by StratosFear

... It used to. The culture has changed dramatically. Especially in the inner cities in the U.S.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

I hear you on that. But i know plenty off big ole Bubbas doing the same thing out in the "sticks". Wanna be rednecks and ignorants of the like.
Backs up my de-evolving theory right?

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
As opposed to being an insecure, out of shape cubicle dweller who leaps for the phone and calls 911 whenever they are scared? I understand not being a puffed lipped douche, but if we are to depend less on and stop glorifying authority figures we need to at least feel secure with our bodies and physical abilities. Just a thought.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I tough guy...

But my "muscles" is my sensitive shy look, and my "puffed chest" is my lower middle classed english accent

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
What should we do, feel sorry for those who won't hit the gym for their own overall well-being?
Poor poor weaklings, at-least you beat the "tough guys" in mind and spirit right, forget the body.
Stay on the couch and meditate.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by StratosFear

IMO it is regression. So, yes, some of us are going backwards. And those that have regressed are breeding more so that brings only more regression for the future. In essence, it is the primitive man coming out in all of us, and the "primitive men/women" are ;having more children so that only means more regressed children. This is my opinion only from personal life experience from where I live. I can't speak for everywhere else.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Its just a natural thing . I've always enjoyed boxing and martial arts and I'm not the biggest guy in the world, but I have got to say that I feel a lot safer when I'm out on my own or when I'm out with friends. Its nothing to do with bs macho man feelings, it feels really awesome to be fit and in shape mentally and physically. Depends on where you live or are from as well. Being a smaller person I've been attacked before and I'm glad to say that I have never given up any of my property or been injured badly enough to need to go to hospital and I owe this to staying fit and knowing how to defend myself. Once me and a friend were chased by about 20 people just looking for a fight and without my practice in the gym I would have never have been able to fight my way out and eventually run away. The reality is that here in the UK there's a lot of violent crime and just locking yourself in at home isn't anyway to live.

Also people can sense if you are confident in yourself and will leave you alone. Personally I think learning martial arts or to box helps learn many other things like discipline, self control, confidence. Lets face it as well who wouldn't like to be healthy and in good shape? I agree people take it way over the top and act like the typical idiot tough guy, but these people arnt tough they are just wanabe tough guys and the reason they act like that is to compensate for their lack of physical and mental dedication to learning an art or staying fit. Their defence mechanism is to make people think they are tough and don't realise how transparent they really are.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I pride myself on having the "tough guy" look plus having the brains behind them. Why have just muscles when you can have muscles and brains.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hiasyouwant
What should we do, feel sorry for those who won't hit the gym for their own overall well-being?
Poor poor weaklings, at-least you beat the "tough guys" in mind and spirit right, forget the body.
Stay on the couch and meditate.

Our brains are our most powerful weapon. Sure, having huge muscles help but, if a scrawny person that knows how to defend himself comes upon a muscle-bound bully that is used to having their way with people, i'm sure most of the time the person that can defend himself will have the upper hand. Note I say "most of the time".

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Also if you have a family it is your duty t protect them, don't assume the police are always at hand cox they wont be there right away when someone breaks in. As a family member imo its your duty to be able to defend your family members just incase because its not all roses out there.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

I wonder if for that reason thats why so much de-population talk has come up over the last few years. The education system and pop-culture seam hell-bent on dumming down the already diluted masses. Got that from somewhere but cannot quite remember.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by StratosFear
reply to post by kimish

I wonder if for that reason thats why so much de-population talk has come up over the last few years. The education system and pop-culture seam hell-bent on dumming down the already diluted masses. Got that from somewhere but cannot quite remember.

I agree %100

second line

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Being in shape is one thing, but I can't stand "macho men"....by that I mean men (and women) who strut around acting like they want to whip anyone's a** that crosses him. The vanity muscle men who are in love with themselves are awful too. I prefer men with mental skills and that stays in shape.....Skinny is fine as long as he's healthy....Those who walk around with that attitude are, I feel, reverting to cave man mentally.....repulsive. Now, nothing wrong with muscles and humility....that's fine..... but boastfulness is horrible. It's not the muscles, it's the agressive attitude that is repulsive.

edit on 11/2/2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
its hard wired into our brain's to further our geneology.
you've watched wildlife programs, most of the time they're about the male's fighting off weaker male's in order to secure their mating right's with the 'hareem', ensuring their 'strong' gene's are passed on.
it all makes sense when watching wildlife, but we seem to have forgotton that we're just animals with bigger brains.
the same rules apply to us.

surely you've noticed hot girls always seem to end up with the retarded 'tough' guys?

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

Exactly!
But when it comes to defending a family or even someone else a big stick would come in handy to. I think martial arts should be a part of the education system for the same reasons you stated in your first post. Respect, Discipline, Honor, Courage, etc. These being the most important lessons one could know.

Damn 20 dudes? i`d throw everything aside and pull out my pistol. I know I know im in america we are all gun nuts and the like but still. A 1vs1 spar at least you are sort of on equal terms but a 20 on 1or2 is a pack of animal that should be put down acorddingly, have to think of the ppl they might go for next or finished with before you.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimosa

surely you've noticed hot girls always seem to end up with the retarded 'tough' guys?

I thought that was because the girls find them easier to control and manipulate?
Not all the ladies, but you all know the ones i speak of.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Getting a decent body is just as much effort as gaining intelligence. I equally hate people who strut about who think they are above everyone else due to their intellect, and people who strut about thinking they are above everyone due to their body.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join