It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shorter University Requiring Staffers To Reject Homosexuality

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Shorter University is requiring its more than 200 employees to sign a “Personal Lifestyle Statement” rejecting homosexuality. Don Dowless, president of the Christian university in Rome, said anyone not signing the statement, which also requires staffers to reject premarital sex and adultery, faces termination.

“I think that anybody who adheres to a lifestyle that is outside of what the biblical mandate is and of what the board has passed, including the president, would not be allowed to continue here,” Dowless told Channel 2 Action News.

”Anything outside that is not biblical, we do not accept," Dowless told Channel 2. He told another publication, The Christian Post, "“We have a right to hire only Christians."

Calm down guys, the gay isn't contagious. I suppose they technically have every right to do this, but it seems pretty overreaching. How many on the staff follow all the rules all the time? I bet not a one. No drinking in public? No pre-marital sex? These are a few of my favorite things (Domo1 humming song from Sound Of Music now). Isn't not acting Christian sort of not in keeping with Christianity? Let God do the judging, judge not lest ye be judged etc...

The way this thing is written it sounds like the university staff are all getting drunk and having homosexual shenanigans in the hallways while students look on.

I wonder if you're allowed to be a homosexual as long as you don't participate in homosexual sex. Perhaps I have found a loophole for some staffers. I get that gay relationships and sex makes a lot of people uncomfortable, including myself to be honest. I just don't think that a group professing Christian values should shun people that are different. I bet they would more willingly hire a convicted murderer than a gay man or woman.

Link

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

If it wasn't part of the original employment agreement, they shouldn't have to sign anything. If they don't, they'll just get fired next time they're two minutes late though.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
They have the right to employ who they will and, thus, to "un-employ" who they will. It is related to free speech and free association. Especially as a religious organization. Notice that they are not just singling out gays, but all sexual sins. I have no problem with this.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

I think that it only comes into effect when there contracts are up.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

If I were them I'd find other work, so they can hire a good little Christian sheep when the time comes.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Homosexuality Vs Religon

Well, All I have to say is: Dont ask, Dont tell, Dont get caught with your pants off in the mens bathroom stalls.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Only fundamentalists would put selling drugs or giving alcohol to students in the same category as one's private sex life.

And, heck, not even that, really. They've put one's opinion on other people's sex lives, not merely one's own actions, right up there with dealing drugs and handing out booze.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Shorter University Requiring Staffers To Reject Homosexuality is a violation to Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Also if brought to court, someone would be getting there ass chewed up. If i told you, sign this sheet that wont allow anyone over 6 feet tall be apart of this school, and if you dont, you will be terminated! Same concept. Some one just has to file a law suit against the university and or sue to to spank them.

(Universal Declaration of Human Rights)
#7- "All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination."

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

I wasn't aware that alcohol was even an issue with most denominations. I thought that we were good to go on that one. I can see encouraging people to act according to your belief system but punishing them seems to be pretty arrogant to me. Also not very Christian.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by unknown32
Shorter University Requiring Staffers To Reject Homosexuality is a violation to Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Also if brought to court, someone would be getting there ass chewed up. If i told you, sign this sheet that wont allow anyone over 6 feet tall be apart of this school, and if you dont, you will be terminated! Same concept. Some one just has to file a law suit against the university and or sue to to spank them.

#7- "All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination."

I wasn't aware that we as a nation were under the jurisdiction of the "Universal Declaration of Human Rights." It sounds very One World Government to me.

I believe Shorter University would say that it is your right to do whatever you want. Just don't do it here.

Personally, why would a homosexual WANT to work there???

It's a religious University. If a religious University can't have rules based upon their religion....I mean, think about it.

If there was a Muslim University that said that doing X or Y would cause you to be fired....I wouldn't care. I wouldn't apply for a job there, but I would stand up for their rights to decide who to employ.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by unknown32

here's your source Universal Declaration of Human Rights but apparently it's not being used to it's full effectiveness in the world vs. 'terrorism' .. the school's interviewing process needs to be sharpened up a little more and less dictatorial, screening in everything.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

There are MANY gay christians such as myself.

Not that I would want to be surrounded by that kind of hate, but you know, some people are into S&M.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Shorter is affiliated with the Southern Baptists. I know all about that one, having been in and out of those churches my entire childhood. It's not surprising that alcohol made the list. Heck, I know that a lot of the older folks heavily disapprove of dancing, let alone booze.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

I know what your meaning. But i believe its wrong for a christian school to preach what they feel is wrong and not part of there belief system. What gets me is all these Christians judge people based on what there religion says is right and wrong yet there priest are child predators and molesters. I am christian and believe in god, and thats it. I don't follow any belief systems or the bible as they are all corrupt and don't benefit humanity. Tell them to convince there priest to be straight before they make silly laws.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
This is how I see it. I invite you to my house. You fully understanding the terms and guidelines to being a guest in my home. You know who I am and where I stand on things. If you do something in my house that violates who I am or where I stand on things then I tell you to leave my house. You knew what you were getting into when you came to my house. I didn't hide anything. End of story.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flint2011
This is how I see it. I invite you to my house. You fully understanding the terms and guidelines to being a guest in my home. You know who I am and where I stand on things. If you do something in my house that violates who I am or where I stand on things then I tell you to leave my house. You knew what you were getting into when you came to my house. I didn't hide anything. End of story.

But its like like they are screwing each other in the building, they are doing it in their own bedrooms, with the lights off and the blinds shut.

Why is jesus so obsessed with what my member is doing?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I support 'em.

Secularist humanists seem to want to force their beliefs on the private sphere too. Only fundamentalists seem to follow their religion; the rest are luke warms caught it the world.
edit on 1-11-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by darkredfish

Don't get me wrong, I think homophobia and all that is crazy, but like I respect peoples sexual orientation, I respect peoples religions. Think long and hard about all of it on both sides before making judgment is all I advise. This is a religious academic institution and they have standards that are comparable with most similar organizations. It's simple, don't go to that university or work for them if you don't agree with them. Trust me, I will make sure everyone I know applicable knows about that university upon further investigation. It doesn't change the fact that it is there legal right to have said standards though.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

There are other universities to attend and work at. So don't like it, leave. It's really that simple.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Read it properly, they don't want their staffers to use alcohol in the presence of students, which is a totally reasonable request, and totally relates to their professional conduct.

While I hate the idea of this, I think the majority of these rules are fine in context of the area the staff are working in. Its christian staff working in a christian school. They should be expected to follow christian values really. But the trouble with this is that everyone has their own opinion on what is and isn't christian behaviour.

However, when it comes to their private lives, they have absolutely no right whatsoever to dictate to them what they can and can't do. This is wrong and unreasonable on so many levels, and you can bet it does not apply to the upper management either.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join