It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. cuts funding for UNESCO after Palestinian vote

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I say we need to cut off foreign aid to everyone including military bases around the world.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Noey777

Originally posted by LightsideAssassin

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
So I guess Israel will be the only ones receiving a welfare check on the US taxpayer, get off your butts and get a real job Israel and stop stealing US dollars.

quoted for truth, although most americans still think israel is our "friend". they are not assuredly not.
edit on 31-10-2011 by LightsideAssassin because: (no reason given)

Yeah and you can most definatley trust all our Arab and Muslim allies
I am sure we can even though their Koran tells them it is all right to lie to infidels (all non believers) to advance the cause of Islam. I have to ask this question are you people really this ignorant that you believe the bull crap line Islam is a religion of peace. I find it hard to believe that people actually believe this given the track record and what the Koran states their goals to be. The only muslims that in my opinion telling the truth are the radicals that tell you right out they will counquer the world and bring sharia law to it.

I'm amazed you just posted the drivel you just posted, then used the word "ignorant" to describe me and everyone else who disagrees with you.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Noey777

Originally posted by LightsideAssassin

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
So I guess Israel will be the only ones receiving a welfare check on the US taxpayer, get off your butts and get a real job Israel and stop stealing US dollars.

quoted for truth, although most americans still think israel is our "friend". they are not assuredly not.

Yeah and you can most definatley trust all our Arab and Muslim allies
I am sure we can even though their Koran tells them it is all right to lie to infidels (all non believers) to advance the cause of Islam. I have to ask this question are you people really this ignorant that you believe the bull crap line Islam is a religion of peace. I find it hard to believe that people actually believe this given the track record and what the Koran states their goals to be. The only muslims that in my opinion telling the truth are the radicals that tell you right out they will counquer the world and bring sharia law to it.

Sadly, (sad because I've spoken this like 44000 times before on ATS) I have to inform you that the Qur'an does NOT SAY THAT.. ANYWHERE..... I would know.. and you would too if you got your ass off the computer and went and opened one...

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
This is all about World Heritage site claims between Palestine and Israel!

UNESCO is the organization that recognizes what site belongs to who. Palestine and Israel have been fighting over The Temple Mount and Rachel's Tomb since Israel's statehood in 1948.

Israel claims The Temple Mount to be the location of the Second Temple built after returning from exile in Babylon. The Palestinians claim that location to be the Dome of the Rock, the sacred site Mohammed was raised to heaven.

Israel claims Rachel's tomb to be the actual site where Jacob's wife was buried. Rachel gave birth to the famous 12 sons which all the tribes of Israel are named after. Palestine claims that site is the location of the Bilal ibn Rabah Mosque.

The Palestinian ministry for endowments and religious affairs has defined Rachel's Tomb as a Muslim site.
en.wikipedia.org...

This is what transpired about Rachel's Tomb back in October 21, 2010 with regard to UNESCO voting power.

UNESCO's decision to refer to the tomb as "Bilal ibn Rabah Mosque" was condemned by the Israeli government as a politically motivated move to disenfranchise Israel and Jewish religious traditions.[3] The Israeli Prime Minister's Office criticised the resolution claiming that: "the attempt to detach the Nation of Israel from its heritage is absurd... If the nearly 4,000-year-old burial sites of the Patriarchs and Matriarchs of the Jewish Nation – Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Sarah, Rebecca, Rachel and Leah – are not part of its culture and tradition, then what is a national cultural site?” [4][5] Rabbi of Israel's holy sites, Shmuel Rabinowitz, condemned UNESCO's statement, which called the tomb a Palestinian site and mosque, saying it was "contrary to history and the truth," and that the vote was motivated by political considerations.
en.wikipedia.org...

This is what Turkey felt about the sacred tomb.

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the tomb was "not and never will be a Jewish site, but an Islamic site."
en.wikipedia.org...

Sounds like popular vote will win an ancient site claim.

This is why Israel will never give up their claim to the tomb.

The tomb is venerated by the Abrahamic faiths and is considered the third holiest site in Judaism. It is also viewed as the symbol of the return of the Jewish people to its ancient homeland.
en.wikipedia.org...

As you can see this new Palestine recognition to UNESCO is going to bring more complications with regard to sacred site ownership. More bombs may fly over the middle east now because it's all about Religion and whose side God is on.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

Didn't Obama initially support a Palestinian state? Like just a few months ago?
I thought he did, I may be wrong. If he did though, I wonder who made him do the about face?

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

I thought he did, I may be wrong. If he did though, I wonder who made him do the about face?

well we can't have the puppet of the zionists suddenly go out on his own and develop a conscience now, can we?
- and I note that my spineless Aussie govt supported the zionists too

the zionists want the wholsesale genocide of Palestinians and nothing less

the Palestinians have been going at "occupy Palestine" for some time now

all they need to do next, is adopt the declaration of independence and the constitution of the USA...

wait! don't let them think that whatever you do!

- oh, and let's not forget that the UN was created by the US govt, shall we?
edit on 31-10-2011 by Highlander64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

sorry had technical difficulty's for a while but yeah i don't have a source for it but i think he may have said something like it but whats a politician with out allot of flip flops i just hope this dosent end up starting any more tit for tat engagements in the area that end up escalating

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
US explains why they cut funding..

edition.cnn.com...#/video/world/2011/10/31/bts-nuland-unesco-funding.cnn?hpt=hp_t1

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

not so much an about face as a "lemme break out the kneepads and get on my knees and suck israel's dick" moment. the US gov. does what israel TELLS them to do. cowards and traitors, the lot of them(except maybe ron paul).

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

I don't dispute the right to a Palestinean State... but I don't like the way they're going about it.

Really??
So would you like to tell us just how Israel became a State ??

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

edit on 11/1/11 by Ameilia because: (no reason given)

Original Poster: I started a thread about this topic about 6 hours after you. Not sure why I did not find your thread when I did a quick search before posting. So, my apologies. I have posted on my thread directing people to your thread and also I sent an Alert to the mods, so maybe they will shut mine down.
edit on 11/1/11 by Ameilia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I read this in the paper today and was not shocked but more amused. It's like the schoolyard bully has been called out by the rest of the class and has no other avenue but to take his marbles home. "I'm not playing with you anymore." Big whoop. It's only $60 million. Canada could front that easily BUT they are one of the 14 countries that voted against this move.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Lamentable decision. It's a real shame.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

its fine its happens all the time (usually for me
) i had been away for most of my thread since i started it as i was and still am having problems with my browser and firefox keeps freezing on me and if your thread was in another category they may be able to move it or keep it open

more on topic: so with all the other threads popping up about the ME involving the idf and the palestinians and now Egypt I am starting to think this is heating up alot more then we thought hopefully im wrong and its just more of the same but it seems like something is going how bad we just dont know yet

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

yeah i think that is one of the more crucial thigns from the article not just that we took the funds but are seeking punitive measures against the nations that voted for it...to me it kinda seems to go against the whole purpose of voting and democracy,basicly it says you can vote but if you dont vote our way we will make you pay for exercising your democratic rights..... i dunno thats how i took it anyways thank you for your response

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
www.firstpost.com... another link for more news on the topic from source:
‘I am still Daddy,’ US tells UNESCO. But is the world listening?" and "When Harry Truman had that sign on his desk, he meant as President he took ultimate responsibility for every decision.

In 2011, the slogan has turned into “the buck stops now”. The United States needs to show the world that it is still Daddy. No more allowance for naughty children who won’t listen to it.

Hence, it’s cutting its funding to UNESCO after that agency voted to accept the Palestinian bid for full membership.
"
decent article that goes a into a bit more depth and what not on to the situation on who voted and abstained. its only two pages so its not a long read but a good one

www.latimes.com... talks about the conflict building with the un over this matter

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Canada also cut their funding, worth another estimated $10 million.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I made a post in an identical thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Covers the same things I'd want to say here.

Mainly, I said "2 wrongs don't make a right." If the way the UN created Israel in 1948 was wrong then terrorizing Israel and launching rockets onto its cities doesn't make it a right. If the arabs in that region want justice then they need to seek counsel at the UN. Committing funds to war and terrorism will not solve the problem because it's 60 years too late and proven to be ineffective.
edit on 1-11-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
This goes back to a law passed in 1994 which bars the US Govt from funding any organization that recognizes the Palestinians.

So now the real question is whether Obama Admin will do anything about the de-funding of UNESCO namely because 1) it's a actually a legit, noble entity of UN 2) with the whole Arab Spring thing going on, not doing anything will tell the new Arab govts that it's business as usual for DC

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I normally don't swear, but can't help... F..k the U.S. then. I am extremely disappointed with Canada if it's true that it's followed the U.S.A. Come on, do we really need a big brother? Can't we be an adult country at last and have our own mind???

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join