It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Stops Funding to UN Due to Recognition of Palestine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Washington won't make planned $60 million transfer for UN cultural agency, State Department says; 107 nations voted in favor, 14 against, and 52 abstained; FM: Israel should cut ties with PA.

The United States on Monday froze funding to a United Nations educational body, after it became the first UN organization to recognize Palestine as an independent state. In a dramatic move that inched the Palestinian Authority closer to its bid for unilateral statehood, the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) accepted Palestine as the 195th member of its organization.

I was personally floored earlier to realize that someone had finally recognized Palestine.

And here is the payback, didn't take too long.

Original Article
edit on 10/31/11 by Ameilia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
That´s how they want to control everything, giving and taking money. And sending soldiers. And giving weapons to cartels, and then saying that everyhing south the border is chaos and civil war. Etc... So...

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
And if you didn't find out yet that Palestine was recognized by a UN organization:

The general conference decides to admit Palestine as a member of UNESCO," said the resolution that was adopted to loud applause by 107 countries, with 14 voting against and 52 abstaining. Read more: www.smh.com.au...

UNESCO Recognizes Palestine

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
This is so sad. I am so happy for Palestine, and I hope they get true statehood- but I wonder how long it will take America to invade them if they do?

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Hats off to the UN and Palestine. Guess we are going to take our ball and go home but who are we to say they cant be recognized. I'd rather have that 60 mil used domestically anyway

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by cetaphobic
This is so sad. I am so happy for Palestine, and I hope they get true statehood- but I wonder how long it will take America to invade them if they do?

I'm finding out more about this currently. Apparently Obama was very quick to jump on this and say they would pull funding, which they have now done obviously, here at 11pm CST. Pretty late.

The Obama administration said it would end funding for the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization hours after the group Monday voted 107 to 14 to accept the Palestinian Authority as a full member. The UNESCO action triggered U.S. laws from the early 1990s that bar Washington from giving money to any U.N. body that grants state status to the Palestinian territories.

From LA Times

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Typical crap from our corrupt, political system.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Worth noting here as the article states is that it was an automatic response triggered by existing law and not the policy preferences of this organization.

Irrespective of the claims of Palestine, I think the UN is irredeemably corrupt, a congress of despots, and anything that means less American tax dollars are spent on funding diplomats who already have lavish expense accounts, the better by my reckoning.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Great! Now the vets who need better medical care are going to get it. Homeless shelters will be better funded. People losing their homes will get some too. Right? Riiight. They'll just find some other country to bribe into doing whatever .

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I'm sure any savings will be wasted, but I would hope I'm not the only one here who feels that a given nation should place its greatest priority on the welfare of its own people.

To be blunt, I think the UN should be nothing more than a debating society without any authority because international law has no popular mandate. Many of the nations there range from petty to brutal dictatorships, and giving them a world stage to show a softer side is rank propaganda, and deserves no legitimacy.

I'm not saying I wholeheartedly agree with US policy either, but I do in this particular instance. Not just with Israel, but on the general principle that these organizations do more harm than good.
edit on 1-11-2011 by cassandranova because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by cassandranova
I'm sure any savings will be wasted, but I would hope I'm not the only one here who feels that a given nation should place its greatest priority on the welfare of its own people.

I like what you're saying in general - but particularly this.
This is the single greatest issue I have with 'Palestine'. How can a group of self-proclaimed "leaders" lay claim to being a sovereign state when they not only can't, but WON'T take care of their own people? What kind of twisted culture places suicide bombings and terrorist attacks higher on a priority list than schools and hospitals?

Hamas and Fatah have a lot to answer for - not least of all the use of their own people as a propaganda piece and a tool in their political games.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
the funny thing is our govt should be removed from the un, or put on probation allowed to watch but not participate, after all the corruption uncovered after the attacks on NY. if the govt was truly open and honest it would stop the things it does and allow the people to actually elect its officials. obama was placed in the presidency to apease the masses that is it end of story certain people who believe they are intelligent pick who they believe would be best for our country when in reality it is thoes people choosing that are truly screwing up the nation.
edit on 1-11-2011 by anthaltie because: i realized expulshion might be a little harsh besides its hard to keep tabs on corruption if its completly pushed out of the circle

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ameilia
And if you didn't find out yet that Palestine was recognized by a UN organization:

The general conference decides to admit Palestine as a member of UNESCO," said the resolution that was adopted to loud applause by 107 countries, with 14 voting against and 52 abstaining. Read more: www.smh.com.au...

UNESCO Recognizes Palestine

What I find interesting is that Canada and Australia voted against but Britain abstained. So does this mean that the Brits are going to let the rest of the commonwealth take the fall? Just hang us out there as patsy's as usual!

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
This is actually the second thread about this topic, please go to This Thread which was first.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Israel has a right to its own national security. If you give palestinians statehood then all it does is mean that Israel and Palestine are at war. It would be an international recognition that they're at war. This all goes back to 1948 when Israel was created by the UN. Over 700,000 palestinians became exiles when the arabs in the region immediately declared war on Israel. There had already been a civil war between 1947-48 amongst jews and arabs over the UN decision to terminate the British Mandate for Palestine and the UN Partition Plan, both of which, generally, called for a two-state resolution where Jews and Arabs would be given recognition.

What this all boils down to is that we cannot call off what the UN did in 1948. So, basically, Israel has a right to exist and exert its national security. Palestinians should not be allowed to launch rockets onto Israel land with impunity over something that cannot be undone. Hamas, which openly does not recognize Israel and supports war against it, is the palestinian leadership at present. The best anybody can hope for is that the Palestinians are given statehood AND they stop attacking Israel. If they can remain peaceful then Israel can pullback on its "illegal" settlements. The reason Israel is building those is to expand its military facilities into areas where they think terrorism might be breeding. It's really just an attempt to secure their borders. In fact, the steady 'growth' of israel influence is really just them establishing a sense of security.

Here're the "illegal" settlements:
mondoweiss.net ...

Go here:
www.google.com...

Download and install it. Start it up. Make sure the Borders and Labels is checked (under Layers on the left side of the window). Then find Israel and zoom in. Look for the Gaza Strip and the West Bank. The Gaza Strip is a small "strip" of land on the SW side of Israel.
edit on 1-11-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Now all we need to do is cut off the rest of the UN funding and get the hell out of that corrupt organization. It is tragic that the recognition of a Palestinian state had to be the proverbial straw that broke the camels back, but at least the cutting off of funding to one part of the UN has been accomplished.

At one time, the UN stood for something. It was a bastion of international peace and charity. They lost their way many years ago and have dragged half the world including my beloved US down with it.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Considering that the UN has a liquor bill that rivals some third worlds countries GNP I'd say de-funding these despots is a good thing and about damned time! All I ever had to do was see what countries they put in charge of human rights!

Zindo

Oh, and just take a walk around the cities like Washington DC and New York's restaurants and see which countries diplomatic corps has their names put on signs saying that they no longer can charge or use their credit cards at these places! Bunch of crooks! They have also had problems with phoney money that the cops can't do anything about because of diplomatic immunity!
edit on 11/1/2011 by ZindoDoone because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/1/2011 by ZindoDoone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Yep.

The UN needs to be bounced out of the USA and ALL funds stopped.
Great start.

Don't really care if Palestine is recognized by the Cultural division of the UN.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ameilia
This is actually the second thread about this topic, please go to This Thread which was first.

and there is also this non-Breaking News story.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

top topics

join