It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is NYPD Sending Drunk Homeless People to Occupy Wall Street?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Is NYPD Sending Drunk Homeless People to Occupy Wall Street?

gawker.com

The increased presence of homeless drug addicts and drunks has been causing tension in Zuccotti Park. Apparently the amount of "freeloaders" caused the Occupy Wall Street kitchen to scale back operations for a few days in protest. The Daily News today reports that the place has basically become divided between "real" occupy wall street protesters on the east, and the homeless riffraff on the West: There is now a "wrong side of the tracks" at Zuccotti Park.

According to Daily News op-ed contributor Harry Siegel, this shift has been helped along by friendly NYPD officers:

The NYP
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
If true, I find the tactic deplorable. Instead of sending the homeless and people with addictions to the correct place, like a shelter or treatment facility the NYPD is encouraging them to go to Zucotti Park? Using the downtrodden and less fortunate for political means is reprehensible. Perhaps the protesters should set up a booth and help steer those that are not there to protest in the right direction to get the help that they need. I wonder if cops are saying this sort of tongue in cheek to the homeless, or if they are actively encouraging the relocation in order to crack down and win public support.

gawker.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Does the OWS not want to support the bottom 1%?

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Fitch303

Of course we do! But if they're sending them there, it's because they are trying to discredit us- so the news can say those occupying are mostly drunks, or mostly homeless people.
But of course you knew that, you were just thinking you could be cute and snarky.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I'm not totally on board with the OWS but I will say that protesting a cause should not make you automatically responsible for the welfare of the homeless or drug user. There are programs for that. There are people that actually know how to help.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I wouldn't doubt it
Any drunk homeless person can be bought for information as easy as 1-2-3
They can be bought by NYPD sure, but also by protestors and onsite ATS Members

Stalin spoke of leading the opposition & today we have OWS
sure... let's hate capitalism and expand this corrupt Govt., oh ya makes perfect sense
edit on 31-10-2011 by ModernAcademia because: Spelling mistake, Thanks to the White Cat for letting me know, The OP I think

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Though of course if the Republicans had their way, none of those programs would exist...

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
This is ridiculous. Occupy Wallstreet is a protest, not a social service. It should be represented by genuine protestors who believe in what they are fighting for.

If NYPD recall is directing these types towards the protests, then that is despicable. As far as delegitimizing OWS goes, i think its working. All i hear lately are stories of people injecting heroin and homeless people bogarting food.

Kind of hard to throw your support behind something like that.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I would doubt it Any drunk homeless person can be bought for information as easy as 1-2-3 They can be bought by NYPD sure, but also by protestors and onsite ATS Members

Did you mean to say 'I wouldn't doubt it'? Otherwise I'm having a little trouble understanding your point.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
doesnt sound ridiculous to me, why shouldnt the homeless be allowed to be there. Afterall they may be homeless because the govt wont give them jobs, thats what the protest is about isnt it? give the people jobs

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
for all you guys know the homeless person they are trying to exclude may be homeless because of the bank foreclosing on his home which was financed through an illegal loan/mortgage. Thats what you are fighting for isnt it? unjust corporate greed? in fact he is the person you should want protesting with you...... but no way man homeless people look bad for our position....... yeah an actual victim of the gov't looks way worse for your cause then a bunch of 20ish hipsters who live rent free with their parents.
edit on 31-10-2011 by Meekbot2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Meekbot2000

It's the governments job to give out jobs now? Well shoot that solves everything!

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

homeless don't need any help by the police.. THEY ARE LOOKING FOR FREE FOOD!!!! like ants at a picnic..

then again, massive fail by OWS.. they are wishing everyone gets things from others more fortunate yet are upset at helping thise less fortunate?? logic anywhere?

Maybe the OWS should act as they speak..solidarity against the 1%, Im not sure the homeless are in that 1% are they?

wouldn't the homeless be kinda part of the downtrodden that the OWS are fighting for. As in giving the less fortunate a voice and message?

Facepalm OWS...Im almost out of support for them now...

oh, and maybe some drugs too, OWS has rumored to be a little amsterdam for drugs. right...

homeless people want/need food and drugs...

edit on 31-10-2011 by rebeldog because: spelling

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

The left has used people, particularily disadvantaged people and minorities as props for decades. It is the homeless person who is used by the left to drive more cash to social services. It is the black kid in prison who is used to justify programs like midnight basketball. It is the washed out folks in flood plains who have been flooded out half a dozen times who are yet again flooded out who are used to justify more disaster aid. It is the unemployed gay, Muslim, black, obese, elderly, you name it that are used to justify more EEOC standards and affirmative action programs. Its the kid in foster care who is used to justify more money for family reunification programs to get the kid back in the hands of some child abusing, drug addict parent. Hollywood does not hold a candle to the leftist political elite when it comes to the use of human props - they have perfected it, as evidenced by our massive welfare state created primarily by the exploitation of of human props.

A major theme of the OWS business has to do with the failure of the banking industry - well it was poor and minorities who could not qualify for loans under reasonable credit standards who were used as props which drove the government to pass the community reinvestment act that forced banks to give loans to these folks that caused the problem to begin with.

The OWS folks should be inviting those folks to the park. If the NYPD is helping them get there, they should be pleased.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by Meekbot2000

It's the governments job to give out jobs now? Well shoot that solves everything!

maybe they can start by helping the cleanup efforts

Oh wait ..... Union issues.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
This is actually a very unique opportunity for the occupiers. They should help and support all the homeless that come their way and in turn slam the giovernment for not doing their job properly. By supporting the homeless and teaching them about the causes the occupiers are fighting for, it would only do an absolute good for the movement and for the deprived. Turn this tactic against the police and the government. If the occupiers don't take advantage of this, it would be a shame.

P.S. Yes I know there would be some dangerous folk amongst the homeless, they just have to siphon through those few and if they have drugs or weapons, turn them into the authorities. However, the occupiers aren't very organized if at all and so I don't think anything effective will be done about it.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chad_Thomas89
This is actually a very unique opportunity for the occupiers. They should help and support all the homeless that come their way and in turn slam the giovernment for not doing their job properly. By supporting the homeless and teaching them about the causes the occupiers are fighting for, it would only do an absolute good for the movement and for the deprived. Turn this tactic against the police and the government. If the occupiers don't take advantage of this, it would be a shame.

P.S. Yes I know there would be some dangerous folk amongst the homeless, they just have to siphon through those few and if they have drugs or weapons, turn them into the authorities. However, the occupiers aren't very organized if at all and so I don't think anything effective will be done about it.

I 100% agree.
I would say, if the homeless want to go and seek shelter, or be allowed to pitch a tent in the park that they should at least be wanting to learn. I personally feel that every single person who is caught or known to have drugs or alcohol in their system or possesion, should be removed from the park. There's absolutely no place for them there. For they are to only later be used as pawns for dismanteling the OCW message and effectiveness.

I don't think them being organized or lack there of, is at all justification for saying this approach of teaching the homeless wouldn't work. It doesn't take the whole group to do it. All it takes is a small group of passionate individuals. Considering that's partially how OWS came about, and turned into what it has.

Oh, and btw, check out www.abovetopsecret.com...
It's about Dallas police, and sending drunks or homeless to the OWS protestors
edit on 31-10-2011 by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS because: additional information

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

I'm not totally on board with the OWS but I will say that protesting a cause should not make you automatically responsible for the welfare of the homeless or drug user. There are programs for that. There are people that actually know how to help.

They're freakin hypocrites. to the homeless those ows protesters might as well be the top 1%. OWS is protesting the consolidation of wealth and resources in this country and want more "trickle down" of that wealth. Yet when they have the chance to practice what they preach.........they fail.

OWS are just as greedy as everyone else, they all want something from soneone.
edit on 31-10-2011 by Fitch303 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I doubt that the cops are up to it, one thing that cops hate more than liberal protesters is the homeless. They probably heard about the free food and stuff and decided to go there themselves. Word of mouth among the homeless population will get crowds forming anywhere.

I doubt it's the cops, it's probably the homeless themselves seeing an opportunity for some free stuff.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

I'm a staunch supporter of the police but I wouldn't be surprised if they were sending in the homeless to irritate or instigate. It really does make the OWS folks lose credibility with many people.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join