It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oakland Police Chief Anthony Batts Resigns

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Two years into his three-year contract, Oakland police Chief Anthony Batts announced Tuesday he is resigning. Batts, 50, said an "overwhelming load of bureaucracy" and a lack of officers and resources to fight Oakland's severe crime problem contributed to his decision to leave a struggling department, which at the time he was hired had 796 officers, 150 more than it has now. But sources close to the department say his tenuous relationship with Mayor Jean Quan and heat from a federal judge and police monitors -- who have threatened a federal takeover of the department over its incomplete, decade-long effort to reform -- also led to his decision.

I find this interesting news in the wake of all the OWS upheaval in Oakland in the last few days.

Sounds like there has been problems for awhile.. hopefully someone here can shed some more light onto the situation. I am not familiar with the politics of Oakland.

www.mercurynews.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Now cops need to get fired and prosecuted.

Time for a new not corrupt police chief to go in and clean house from the scum. Time for a Serpico.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Resigns, huh. I really didn't see that one coming so fast. And yes, the violent police thugs need to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, for whatever that's worth.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
If they got enough cops that have nothing to do besides harass the OWS people, then maybe they could lose some more people.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Oakland laid off a bunch cops due to lack of funding the last couple of years.

They also stopped responding to certain calls, like burglary, car accidents, grand theft, vandalism. Victims can report these crimes on line...

www.nbcbayarea.com...

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
Oakland laid off a bunch cops due to lack of funding the last couple of years.

They also stopped responding to certain calls, like burglary, car accidents, grand theft, vandalism. Victims can report these crimes on line...

www.nbcbayarea.com...

But they sure have enough cops to beat up peaceful protesters... after all, they need to do the work they were paid for (by the banks) otherwise they won't get any money...

Cops, protecting the very same bankers who stole their pensions.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

This cop is a coward. Jump ship before the S really HTF! I bet someone worse is gonna take his spot.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mnemicrsl
reply to post by gabby2011

This cop is a coward. Jump ship before the S really HTF! I bet someone worse is gonna take his spot.

Well said. The brave ones are out there in the streets being beaten by the cowards, and now the head coward abandons the proverbial ship. Way to go law enforcement, way to go.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Yeah how can they be undermanned and not able to respond to all these types of crimes?

From what I saw they had tons of police on hand.

Oh they only have enough police to protect the banks?
Oh ok. Nvm.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Well you know what they say....

If you cant take the heat then get out of the kitchen!

He probably also didnt want to be in the spotlight after his force nearly killed someone. Tsk Tsk

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Yeah how can they be undermanned and not able to respond to all these types of crimes?

From what I saw they had tons of police on hand.

Oh they only have enough police to protect the banks?
Oh ok. Nvm.

I found that odd as well.. they won't investigate calls for grand theft, burglary, car wrecks, identity theft and vandalism...??
...and that wasn't all on the list.

Sounds like a ripe field for organized crime, and it makes me wonder who's profiting.

They won't look into identity theft, and many other crimes , but they will go with riot gear to a supposedly peaceful protest?

Something with this picture that is very wrong.

edit on 27-10-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
The fact he`s resigned doesnt change anything , he should still be held accountable for what happened that night , and he still OWS (
) an explaination as to why they had a LRAD at the scene.
The mayor was backpeddling too saying she didnt know anything about it , they even tried to deny using smoke and flashbangs, and said the protesters attacked them first with bottles
must have forgotten about the internet

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Just keep in mind date of news.

It's not related to Marine incident. Further resignations might follow?

Posted: 10/11/2011 01:43:49 PM PDT
Updated: 10/11/2011 11:02:18 PM PDT

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir
Just keep in mind date of news.

It's not related to Marine incident. Further resignations might follow?

Posted: 10/11/2011 01:43:49 PM PDT
Updated: 10/11/2011 11:02:18 PM PDT

Yeah, this happened a few weeks ago, not in response to the beatdown the other night. I don't think the OPD are going to show any shame over that, but we'll see.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

You know what i would like to see?

Evidence that police forces are being paid by banks.
It's a paranoid delusion in my opinion that they are.

Sometimes cops are just dicks. And no one needs to pay them to be dicks.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

So it was an illusion that JP Morgan donated over 4 million dollars to the NYPD, because they thought they felt generous?

Wait a minute it was all an illusion that did not happen.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

Source?

You can be snide about it. Or you can provide me with a source that I may further investigate.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

No worries. I found this source:

cityarts.info...

Which was lifted from another thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Which pointed out the fact that this donation was made quite some time ago. Well before OWS was even being talked about.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Are you really expecting members to believe that the Police Forces in the USA have never taken bribes from anybody?

Oh I suppose it just happens donations given to such Organisations are given for nothing in return?

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Often times they are.

But the assertion that JP Morgan gave this money to the NYPD SPECIFICALLY for the OWS protest doesn't hold up to the facts. As I have demonstrated.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join