It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Atheists that have now converted to a religion?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by cloudyday
Maybe I'm not really an atheist, but I don't think there is any conflict between atheism and belief in God. (I know that sounds really dumb if you define atheism as the belief that there is no god.)

The way I define atheism (for me) is I that am going to admit the truth whatever it is. I'm not going to be scared or intimidated into believing things. If God is real, if he matters, and if he wants people to know about Him, then there will be evidence to lead me that direction.

Atheism is not a belief. It is lack of belief.

When you say "believe there is no god" - - - I'd have to first acknowledge the concept god - - to not believe it.

Its more like a vacuum - - a lack of existence. There is nothing to not believe.

I think the moment "god" enters our vocabulary we acknowledge the concept. The exact definition of "god", "goddesses", etc. depends on the culture. It's all about believing in the "supernatural", "souls", "spirits", etc.

When I call myself an atheist, I only mean that I don't think there needs to be anything supernatural and I'm not convinced there is anything supernatural.

I don't think that is opposed to being religious. It's just normal doubt and common sense.

edit on 26-10-2011 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by bogomil
reply to post by SuperiorEd

You wrote:

["I went through a period of life when I could not see past my own pride to find God."]

What do you mean 'see past your own pride'? You're still a fullscale megalomaniac, nothing new there.

I speak to my subject. The subject may judge you but I do not. I will say it again. Speaking to the subject will provide a context for discussion. Insults are only empty words from empty thoughts. My posts stand on context and content based on belief and evidence. I reference my thoughts to the wisdom of the ages. Speak to the subject if you would like to discuss the topic of the thread like an adult. Insult all you want but I will continue to remind you that children do this but not adults.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

When I call myself an atheist, I only mean that I don't think there needs to be anything supernatural and I'm not convinced there is anything supernatural.

I don't think that is opposed to being religious. It's just normal doubt and common sense.

I've had many "supernatural" experiences since birth. I've always had them.

I am Atheist.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

People blame God for all the evils in this world because he doesn't step in and put a stop to it. God cannot step in and derail this train or he will break his free will covenant, so he lets bad things happen to maintain his covenant with man. However, there will come a day when he has had enough and that day is nearly upon us where he will break that covenant and return as Jesus Christ (Yahweh, the Lord). The Lord has alot of patience but even he gets angry and his patience is beginning to wear out.

Jesus will deal with the catholics according to their works. He has already begun his process of weeding the goats out from his sheep. The catholics are soaked in the blood of martyrs (spanish inquisition) and they will have alot to answer for. I will not bow down nor kis the ring of a man, i will bow only to the Lord. No man can bar your way in to heaven, that is a gift granted by the belief in Jesus Christ and no man can take that from you. Catholic priests have the audacity to think that they may judge and set the punishment for men. They take on the role of God and then have sex with little boys behind closed doors.
edit on 26-10-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Maybe I'm not really an atheist, but I don't think there is any conflict between atheism and belief in God. (I know that sounds really dumb if you define atheism as the belief that there is no god.)

The way I define atheism (for me) is I that am going to admit the truth whatever it is. I'm not going to be scared or intimidated into believing things. If God is real, if he matters, and if he wants people to know about Him, then there will be evidence to lead me that direction.

Atheism is not a belief. It is lack of belief.

When you say "believe there is no god" - - - I'd have to first acknowledge the concept god - - to not believe it.

Its more like a vacuum - - a lack of existence. There is nothing to not believe.

I think the moment "god" enters our vocabulary we acknowledge the concept. The exact definition of "god", "goddesses", etc. depends on the culture. It's all about believing in the "supernatural", "souls", "spirits", etc.

edit on 26-10-2011 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

Youre not atheist then, youre an agnostic meaning that you are unsure and do not know. You are not totally closed to the possiblity. You are on the fence. Perhaps you need a sign or for something to show you the truth. I pray that maybe someday you will have that sign and know it for what it is.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I am not an atheist, but I am not a hardcore religous fanatic either.
I worship in my own way, and have tailored catholism to what makes sense to me, what seems to be the truth.
I am not one to follow every word of the bible, in fact I will side with atheists when arguing with sombody who does.
I think a god exists, and that he/she/they do have an impact on our life.
I am still trying to figure out what I beleive, as it changes day by day.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Youre not atheist then, youre an agnostic meaning that you are unsure and do not know. You are not totally closed to the possiblity. You are on the fence. Perhaps you need a sign or for something to show you the truth. I pray that maybe someday you will have that sign and know it for what it is.

Agnostic sounds too peaceful. It's more like a Christian and an atheist in a wrestling ring together. And there is a pantheist and a Buddhist and a Hindu ready to jump in at any moment.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Agnostic sounds too peaceful. It's more like a Christian and an atheist in a wrestling ring together. And there is a pantheist and a Buddhist and a Hindu ready to jump in at any moment.

I'd consider you Agnostic too.

Atheism - lack of believe in a god

Agnostic - there might be a god - - but I'm not sure.

Agnostic has nothing to do with being Peaceful.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
cloudyday

Most people define theism, atheism and agnosticism based upon what somebody believes or does not believe about the answer to the question of God, or beliefs about whether there is much of anything except personal factors that could support a yes-or-no answer.

What your definition describes is a general resolution about how you will conduct an investigation. It would be "atheist" in what is today an obscure or even obsolete sense. You are rejecting the religious "climate of opinion" typical of where you come from. That has been called atheism in the past.

I think it invites confusion today. Just my opinion. I don't think everybody needs to fit into one of the three main categories, as if Goldilocks was the great arbiter of belief. However, of the three, then agnostic seems most accurate. You do not believe in God, you do not believe there is no God, you believe that the question should be answered based on evidence, and you do not find the current evidence sufficient to support a belief one way or the other.

(Please note that I disagree with lonewolf's criteria. Everybody is unsure and nobody knows. Few people are closed to the logical possibility of God. Agnostics are not on any fence, that's believers' ad hominem brave talk, pretending that there's some useful evidence. As lonewolf candidly discloses, it will be a miracle if this evidence ever turns up.

Please also note that Annee's attitude about the supernatural is not so unusual among atheists. Just because a person believes in some supernatural things doesn't mean she believes in every supernatural idea that comes down the pike. )

Of course, you have every right to call yourself whatever you like, but

Agnostic sounds too peaceful.

You need to get out more

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by eight bits

That was a very well made presentation of the situation (your post 09:47 AM). I wish the attention-span on this forum wasn't so short, because this post deserves status as a reference-point.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by eyesdown

By the sound of your post you need to do more research but its good that you've started we all start somewhere I myself was once in your shoes but i was never an atheist i have always been open minded, I started off researching religion but then i found Jesus Christ and realized that i had finally found truth as he claims to be truth itself. Religion is man trying to get to God, Christianity is God coming to man in the form of Christ Jesus. Many people will claim that they've found truth but in reality their only lying to themselves and are still looking for it. Now i let the Bible determine what is true or not and i use it as a starting point.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

You wrote:

["By the sound of your post you need to do more research"]

And what would YOU know of 'research', who use all kinds of cosmetic scamming tricks (sometimes outright lies) in your absurd preachings?

Quote: ["i have always been open minded,"]

You must be joking!

Quote: ["I started off researching religion but then i found Jesus Christ and realized that i had finally found truth as he claims to be truth itself."]

Your use of the word 'research' is (as most of your pseudo-arguments), deliberately twisted to fit the purposes of your substandard mind. 'Research' isn't starting from an answer and later adapting 'information' so as to prove this answer.

That's called ideological insanity.

Quote: ["Religion is man trying to get to God, Christianity is God coming to man in the form of Christ Jesus."]

One assumption amongst thousands, rather stupid actually, and mainly having any significance at all because of the violence used to 'promote' it.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by bogomil
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

You wrote:

["By the sound of your post you need to do more research"]

And what would YOU know of 'research', who use all kinds of cosmetic scamming tricks (sometimes outright lies) in your absurd preachings?

Quote: ["i have always been open minded,"]

You must be joking!

Quote: ["I started off researching religion but then i found Jesus Christ and realized that i had finally found truth as he claims to be truth itself."]

Your use of the word 'research' is (as most of your pseudo-arguments), deliberately twisted to fit the purposes of your substandard mind. 'Research' isn't starting from an answer and later adapting 'information' so as to prove this answer.

That's called ideological insanity.

Quote: ["Religion is man trying to get to God, Christianity is God coming to man in the form of Christ Jesus."]

One assumption amongst thousands, rather stupid actually, and mainly having any significance at all because of the violence used to 'promote' it.

Dude, you are negative, disrespectful and grouchy. If you don't like what people have to say about Jesus Christ then just go to a different forum for a change instead of trolling the religion forums for the sole purpose of spreading your misery. I haven't seen you say one positive thing about anyone since i have joined this forum. You are always so negative that reading your posts depresses me.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by eight bits
Please also note that Annee's attitude about the supernatural is not so unusual among atheists. Just because a person believes in some supernatural things doesn't mean she believes in every supernatural idea that comes down the pike.

Except - - the definition of experiences beyond physical varies.

"Supernatural" - - as an adjective doesn't necessarily fit with what I believe.

I do believe everything is energy and thought is energy creating. But I also believe "we" are millions of layers removed from the first conscious thought.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
bogomil

Thank you for your kind words.

Annee

"Supernatural"

Fair enough. My idea wasn't to define your beliefs, but simply to point out to the other member that statements like your earlier one,

I've had many "supernatural" experiences since birth.

are not peculiar to you among atheists. Since you had used quotes, I didn't think that anyone was thinking that you had committed yourself to anybody else's interpretation of those experiences.

My own thought someone about not believing "every supernatural idea that comes down the pike" includes not uncritically adopting somebody else's ideas about the meaning of the term.

If that was unclear before, then, with luck, it is clearer now.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by eight bits

Annee

"Supernatural"

Fair enough. My idea wasn't to define your beliefs, but simply to point out to the other member that statements like your earlier one,

I've had many "supernatural" experiences since birth.

Oh - I didn't mean to discredit you. Other posters might want to take it in some weird or god connected direction. Its just good to clarify at times. And yes that is why in my earlier statement "supernatural" is in quotes.

edit on 29-10-2011 by Annee because: DAMN QUOTES!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join