It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRIS Androids Answer to SIRI, Developed in 8 Hours!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Being an avid Android lover, I have found myself at a bit of a low ebb in the last 2 weeks with the whole iphone4s furoe, dithering, thinking should I jump the "Good ship Android," when suddenly IRIS burst into my life (yes I really am that sad), and made a play for my heart !

The result is Iris (“Siri” backwards), created by Android dev team Dexetra, which says it was inspired by “the influx of tweets and posts on the ‘Awesome Siri’” that began flying around the web by the truckload.

But of course she does a little more than that.... She can now dial up your friends, and text !

Now she isn't perfect, and has a long way to go, but having discovered her less than an hour ago, my family and I have found ourselves thoroughly entertained, and thought she was a little newsworthy.

Hopefully below you should find an embed vid of IRIS in action.

And what was the first question I asked IRIS ?

"When is the end of the world ?" Which IRIS interpreted as "When is in the world?"

Personally despite her diction, I found her anwser quite charming....

"The world will end when man believes he is invincible."

Quite astute I thought, and probably means next Tuesday ! lol

So in light of all this, let me know what you think, will IRIS, or something like her become as good as SIRI ?

What would you ask IRIS ?

Source Article
edit on 21-10-2011 by solargeddon because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-10-2011 by solargeddon because: Ahh, trying to embed vid, and failing....twice

edit on 21-10-2011 by solargeddon because: Ah, thats better

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
So ..... how do we get that chick to take her clothes of? That was the point of the thread, right>

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Erm... nope, I'm a chick, so I wouldn't be interested in trying, but I like your angle

Unfortunately even as a chick I have no advice to offer either, other than ask IRIS, or SIRI, they are bound to point you in the right direction .

Aren't you glad you came
lol
edit on 21-10-2011 by solargeddon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

Sounds cool, downloading it on my galaxy tab now.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I can't wait until you can get the "HAL 9000" edition of this.

That said - the video shows it to be quite cheeky.... though leaves me wondering if it does anything other than sass the user....

A development time of 8 hours is.... wow. They REALLY wanted to stick it to Apple.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Got a few issues with things like this being developed. Heres a few of them:

Does it make signal drop out stop? Has it increased the battery life of the device? Will it ensure that every text sent shows up at the other end within two seconds of hitting send? Will this app allow the phone to photosynthetically recharge itself? Does this app, in fact , help ?

No.

When the apps industry and the whole phone market go ahead and future proof thier tech to the point where it cannot break, where it cares not how close your nearest comms tower is, and to the point where waiting, loading , or any of that other nonsense is eliminated, let me know. A clever version of microsoft sam is a bit less important than any of that other stuff.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I have to say, I'm left speechless when I saw Siri in action. Its like incredible really. The anime... Eden of the East comes to mind. Has anyone made that connection or knows what I'm talking about?
The truly amazing thing for me is how much the program is capable of doing in its first release. Imagine what she'll be capable come this time next year. Like this tech can be used in cars or home theater systems. Hell why stop there, imagine a home security system set up with a voice recognizer that displays on your monitors as a cyber assistant for all your needs.
Imagine this scenario, you come home and lock the the door behind you. You speak, "Hello Siri, I'm home." to which she responds "Welcome home (insert Name)" Turning on the lights for you as you walk into your house. "Siri, turn on the tv and put on my recorded episode of Terra Nova." "Sure thing (insert Name). Would you like to start from the beginning?" "Nha just play it from the half way point. Also Siri, turn on the computer and pull up my top five websites." "Sure thing (insert Name."
The really funny thing is that this is not at all impossible. Setting Siri up in a home server to which you give her capabilities to control basic household functions on command is something that is going to be developed whether your ready or not. I'm even willing to bet that this will first come from hackers who will exploit the program. So yeah what is everyone's take on this?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
App looks no different than the likes of Speaktoit Assistant. Heck, the voice is identical.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaworu

OMG, if this came to pass, our arms and legs would evolve right off of our bodies, because we wouldn't need to do anything for ourselves.
... err, I mean...

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

Right, gave it a shot... Didn't like it one bit. Slow and tired of getting wrong results and stupid jokes.

Think I'll stick with voice actions which does the same things and is more accurate.

top topics

join