It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Choices For The Greatest Movies Ever Made?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by curious7

The first Ong-Bak was great, the others sucked!

I'm also a fan of 80% of Jackie Chan's movies. You know which ones.. The good ones.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
The most beautiful use of color in any movie that i have seen is "Curse of The Golden Flower"- 2006 -Chinese,Directed by Zhang Yimou.Who also has another movie, in my top 10 list, "House Of Flying daggers"-2004...

Zhang Yimou was chosen to direct the Beijing portion of the closing ceremonies of the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens, Greece, as well as the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, China, alongside co-director and choreographer Zhang Jigang.

Zhang was a runner-up for the Time Magazine Person of the Year award in 2008.

The breathtaking use of color in "Curse Of The Golden Flower",the sets,the costumes,the scenery,the "Mise en Sce'ne" is hard to describe and is without equal > en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 18-10-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
In my film blog, i've got mine down as:

1: Blade Runner

2: Låt den rätte komma in

3: Oldboy

4: Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

5: Braveheart

6: Terminator 2: Judgement Day

7: Alien

8: Leon: The Professional

9: Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade

10: Heat

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I like most of the movies everyone has listed... a couple that I like that aren't already here:

The Matrix

Shawshank Redemption

As many have said, 10 just isn't enough.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
David Lean,the british director,must be given a lot of credit for having directed 4 epic masterpieces back to back. "Bridge On the River Kwai"- 1957 , "lawrence Of Arabia" - 1962 , "Doctor Zhivago" - 1965 , "Ryans Daughter" -1970...

"All four films"... are breathtakingly panoramic,won numerous awards for their exquisite photography,are 3 to 4 hours long, use "no rear-screen projection" when practically every other movie made during the same time period used rear-screen projection and won 21 Academy awards between them.

Although,wether or not a film wins an academy award,is no way to judge how great a movie is.

I think that David Lean,with those four movies,achieved the longest span of consecutive great films in the history of motion pictures and Lawrence Of Arabia-1962, is Steven Speilbergs favorite movie...

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
No particular order, just numbered to make it easier to read:

1. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
2. Apocalypse Now
3. Repo Man (1984)
4. Do The Right Thing
5. Eraserhead
6. Dr Strangelove
7. The Thing
8. Unforgiven
9. The Apartment
10. Punch Drunk Love
11. Holy Mountain
12. Miller's Crossing
13. Secret Honor
14. Black Dynamite
15. Boogie Nights
16. Hurt Locker
17. The Secret of Kells
18. Primer
19. Exit Through The Gift Shop
20. Jaws

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I think the film maker who is responsible for the greatest "one-two punch" in the history of motion pictures.The two greatest "back to back" films by any director is...William Friedkin...The French Connection-1971,followed by,"The Exorcist"-1973...And i think they are the best crime drama and horror film ever made.

William Friedkin,who never made a crime drama or a horror film before,managed to make the best film in each genre...back to back...Quite an accomplishment!

Second choice for back to back great films would be...Alfred Hitchcock, with his,"Vertigo"-1958, followed by, "North By Northwest-1959...A genius film maker working at the height of his creative powers and those two films were followed by, Psycho-1960...Wow!

David Lean made 4 great films back to back!...As i mentioned above.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scalded Frog
I like most of the movies everyone has listed... a couple that I like that aren't already here:

The Matrix

Shawshank Redemption

As many have said, 10 just isn't enough.

I really wanted to list The Matrix Trilogy and Fight Club. Both movies reveal some very interesting ideas about modern life. Both movies are eye opening to the perceptive viewer and both manage to be highly entertaining as stand-alone films (without even considering the philosophy).

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
There are so many, and for so many different reasons... Also, there are best movies in particular genres...

Best overall movie....(acting, effects, music, sets, story, and just feel) I'd have to give to Titanic. If you didn't cry at some point in this flick, you're probably not human. And man, I felt like I was right in that time period, right on the ship. Incredible job. I know, I'll get some flak for it, but it is what it is.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy - Lord of the Rings was amazing (all of them), Star Wars (of course, I mean it inspired so much that came after it).

Comedy Spoofs - Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Airplane! (and the sequel) are just timeless classics.

Comedy - Ferris Bueller's Day Off, so many others

Horror - The Exorcist, Omen (I'm big on the Biblical horror movies), Night of the Living Dead (or it's sequels)

I'd have to pretty much go through my whole DVD collection to make a good list...

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Truth_Seeker

For me though, while a lot of those films were good, they don't hold up near as much the more you view them (even the second time).

For me, the best films are ones I can watch over and over, and still enjoy. That's how I know a movie is really really good.

I left out another one...The Princess Bride.

There's a true classic, the best fencing scene in any movie, witty banter, comedy, action, suspense, murder by pirates...murder by pirates is good....

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Yes, the Princess Bride!

And I agree with your assessment as to what makes a great movie. Rewatchability. (I make up words, yay!)

Although I completely disagree with you about Titanic. I sat through that mess one time and wished I could get that part of my life back.

I personally think one of the most visually stunning movies, that tells an excellent story and has great characters played by wonderful actors is The Fall. It's one of my all time favorites, if you haven't seen it you should definitely give it a go.

You need to see it in full HD to get the true experience.
edit on 19-10-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Although I completely disagree with you about Titanic. I sat through that mess one time and wished I could get that part of my life back.

Probably helps that it's one of my favorite periods in history (Victorian era), and I've always had a thing for the story of the Titanic...way before the movie.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
These are 10 of my all times favourite movies which are part of another thread I did recently.......

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
The 10 movies that i listed and a lot of others, are definitely held in high esteem by me and it's because no matter how many times i watch them,they never become dull or boring.What i think is the greatest crime drama ever made, "The French Connection-1971 is a good example.I have seen it about 7 or 8 times and i still love every minute of it...Gene Hackman received a best actor oscar for that movie and he is intense.So is Roy Scheider.Not to mention the awesome car chase scene...And the director,William Friedkin's very next film was the Exorcist-1973...Wow
edit on 19-10-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
The Truth Seeker...I like how you have one of Alfred Hitchcocks great color movies in your list,Rear Window-1954. Have you ever seen his,Vertigo-1958 and North By Northwest-1959?? I think that those are his 2 best films and they were made back to back...If you have not seen them,you should definitely check them out.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
reply to post by Gazrok

I personally think one of the most visually stunning movies, that tells an excellent story and has great characters played by wonderful actors is The Fall. It's one of my all time favorites, if you haven't seen it you should definitely give it a go.

I want to see The Fall. A few years back, it came to a theater near where I lived. I wish I would've gone to see it on the big screen. I remember seeing a trailer that had a shot of just this dizzying display of steps. When a director can make a shot of stairs look interesting you know they have some visual chops.

I remember reading Ebert's review and he mentioned that Alejandro Jodorowsky looked to be an influence on Tarsem Singh. You might want to check out Jodorowsky's The Holy Mountain and El Topo. They're amazing movies. They're way out there. The word weird has been diluted a lot, but these are weird movies. Think of the last section of 2001: A Space Odyssey and multiple it a hundred times. The bizarre and symbolic imagery is so dense and constant even if you don't like it, you'll never forget it. I think El Topo is the one closest to The Fall.

Anyway, thanks for reminding me about The Fall.

edit on 10/19/2011 by SaulGoodman because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/19/2011 by SaulGoodman because: Why are my words all tiny?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
My current top 10, in no particular order.

1. Trainspotting.
2. Avatar.
3, Independance Day.
4. Snatch.
5. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrells.
6. Pulp Fiction.
7. Papillon.
8. Human Traffic.
9. Apocalypse Now.
10.Close Encounters Of The Third Kind.

I could easily have included 2001: A Space Oddysey, All The Star Wars and Matrix films, The Boondock Saints, The Sting, Saving Private Ryan, Von Ryans Express, Passport To Pimlico and several more movies.

ETA.
How could I forget Lord Of The Rings and The Shawshank Redemption.
edit on 20/10/11 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Also add:

Birdy (old Nicholas Cage movie)
Jacob's ladder
Unbareable lightness of being
Green Mile
Emerald Forest
edit on 20-10-2011 by UnlimitedSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Probably helps that it's one of my favorite periods in history (Victorian era), and I've always had a thing for the story of the Titanic...way before the movie.

Oops, I think you mean the Edwardian era, Queen Victoria died a few years before the Titanic was even finished.

Seen the movie a few times and while I'll agree it's a classic, I personally didn't like it much. Can't quite put my finger on why. It's still way better than that atrocious Avatar movie though.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1    3 >>

join