It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you have something huge to say, stop doing it, or create a thread

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Hi (with a BIG H)

This is too all the members who try hard to be popular, or just try to hard in general. Whether it be for stars, flags, or responses.

Please dear god.....stop writing these huge freakin responses. You're not gonna win a nobel peace prize, and there are no "scouts" out there. If you wanna write a book then open a word processor. If you wanna change the world, go speak at the washington monument.

Honestly, i read to about the fifth line of things and then finally throw my hands up in frustration due to the highly overexplained personal view on topics. Just get your damn point out. I dont think any member comes here to whoo over certain member responses.

Honestly, its a waist of time, space, and patience. If you're putting up long responses with expectations of great returns, you are wrong. It does not happen.

Anyways, just give it some thought please. No one cares

MY PERSONAL OPINION

edit on 15-10-2011 by mthgs602 because: because people are full of themselves

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
You're all catching the grumpier side of me. Im in the military and im on watch right now so im freakin tired.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Sorry to hear you have the attention span of a gnat.
Some people like to discuss an issue.
anything less,
and you may as well join twitter
5th line - potentially ignored.
6th - now this is just frustrating.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mthgs602

Odd, I got my first book deal because of my writings on ATS.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by mthgs602
You're all catching the grumpier side of me. Im in the military and im on watch right now so im freakin tired.

Sorry you are so tired. Just skip over the posts that annoy you and carry on.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Um, last time I checked, sergeants don't allow laptops or internet connections while on watch. What military are you in exactly, the Youtube Army ?
edit on 15-10-2011 by DrunkNinja because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
TL; DR

other than that:

MY PERSONAL OPINION

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrunkNinja

Um, last time I checked, sergeants don't allow laptops or internet connections while on watch. What military are you in exactly, the Youtube Army ?
edit on 15-10-2011 by DrunkNinja because: (no reason given)

You dont know what you're talking about at all. Why would i just make up something like that?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
LOL

funny but I almost feel the opposite.
Sometimes when a topic is particularly interesting it takes more than a few lines to get any valid point across.

I personally enjoy reading the replies of the members who properly express their views and take the time to share them with the rest of us.

Let this be a call to all those out there in the ATS community with a decent attention span and an IQ higher than their age to keep doing what your doin and let us all know what you think.

Sometimes a short response is all thats necessary, a great example being the jokes forum, just a short witty retort to add to the general good humour is generally enough.

Most of the time however with the topic material we have here (ATS is quite diverse and covers some heavy stuff) 1 or 2 lines just isnt enough and to fully express a view can take several paragraphs.

Now granted occasionally people can waffle on a bit and go overboard with their replies, whether that is in the form of way too much detailed information or just talking BS to take up space and make themselves feel intellectual and try and impress their fellow members. Either way it can get a bit boring but I think putting a blanket statement out there like you have is a bit much.

I think this would be a good time to explore why it is you feel this way.
I can think of several reasons
1) you have a short attention span
2) you are hard pressed for time which in this modern hectic world many of us are
3) jealousy that you either cant express your self adequately to take up more than 2 lines or you dont have the intellectual capacity to do so
4) you are using a ridiculously small computer screen and having to constantly scroll down/up left/right gets frustrating
5)I cant actually think of a 5th one

Since Im uncertain as too which catergory you fit into Ill address them all
1) get off the drugs
2)take a time management course or choose only the threads that you feel you would really enjoy reading/contributing to. I appreciate this may be difficult as ATS has a wealth of info available but it may end your frustration if you fit into this catergory
3) take up creative writing as a hobby or do an acting/drama class. All these things will help you learn to better express yourself
4) reduce the font size or zoom out further and use a magnifying glass, or just get a bigger screen. If financesa are an issue you could probably ask the army to provide you with an older screen that they no longer use. I can only assume the US military replace there computer software every few weeks as evidenced from this thread here
Penatgon doesnt know where the Money is going
5)Nothing really needs to be written here

So anyway....... In conclusion get over it and if you dont like it just dont read it

Hope this helps

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

First off, immature. Seems like you did that to just for my reaction, which you are getting.

Secondly, how did you come up with any of that? You are just assuming you think you know, because you are full of yourself.

That is why i added the MY OPINION part and reason to edit was because "people are full of themselves".

edit on 15-10-2011 by mthgs602 because: wrong word

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenNum287119327
Sorry to hear you have the attention span of a gnat.
Some people like to discuss an issue.
anything less,
and you may as well join twitter
5th line - potentially ignored.
6th - now this is just frustrating.

Hi, how are you? That was rude, i am a bit offended by that. I didnt mention anything about my attention span, just that people continously overwrite things and i think that the point can get across in just a few simple sentances.

And you didnt actually write out six lines. If you would like to prove a point, i suggest you do it properly.

Im not going to insult you. That would just be rude

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
LOL

funny but I almost feel the opposite.
Sometimes when a topic is particularly interesting it takes more than a few lines to get any valid point across.

I personally enjoy reading the replies of the members who properly express their views and take the time to share them with the rest of us.

Let this be a call to all those out there in the ATS community with a decent attention span and an IQ higher than their age to keep doing what your doin and let us all know what you think.

Sometimes a short response is all thats necessary, a great example being the jokes forum, just a short witty retort to add to the general good humour is generally enough.

Most of the time however with the topic material we have here (ATS is quite diverse and covers some heavy stuff) 1 or 2 lines just isnt enough and to fully express a view can take several paragraphs.

Now granted occasionally people can waffle on a bit and go overboard with their replies, whether that is in the form of way too much detailed information or just talking BS to take up space and make themselves feel intellectual and try and impress their fellow members. Either way it can get a bit boring but I think putting a blanket statement out there like you have is a bit much.

I think this would be a good time to explore why it is you feel this way.
I can think of several reasons
1) you have a short attention span
2) you are hard pressed for time which in this modern hectic world many of us are
3) jealousy that you either cant express your self adequately to take up more than 2 lines or you dont have the intellectual capacity to do so
4) you are using a ridiculously small computer screen and having to constantly scroll down/up left/right gets frustrating
5)I cant actually think of a 5th one

Since Im uncertain as too which catergory you fit into Ill address them all
1) get off the drugs
2)take a time management course or choose only the threads that you feel you would really enjoy reading/contributing to. I appreciate this may be difficult as ATS has a wealth of info available but it may end your frustration if you fit into this catergory
3) take up creative writing as a hobby or do an acting/drama class. All these things will help you learn to better express yourself
4) reduce the font size or zoom out further and use a magnifying glass, or just get a bigger screen. If financesa are an issue you could probably ask the army to provide you with an older screen that they no longer use. I can only assume the US military replace there computer software every few weeks as evidenced from this thread here
Penatgon doesnt know where the Money is going
5)Nothing really needs to be written here

So anyway....... In conclusion get over it and if you dont like it just dont read it

Hope this helps

I dont know why i didnt quote this. It really is a perfect example. Get off the drugs? Take a class? Just a bunch of random baseless crap.

Hope this helps? Read my edit please people. I was hoping for members like this.

This really is a great example.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

First off, immature. Seems like you did that to just for my reaction, which you are getting.

Secondly, how did you come up with any of that? You are just assuming you think you know, because you are full of yourself.

That is why i added the MY OPINION part and reason to edit was because "people are full of themselves".

Err,
First: I was going to do that Iknow!!!! >->
Second: I think she was trying to make a joke. Star for her for having a sense of humor (Uncommon on this site ._.)
Third: For example in This thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...
It is important to convey a ton of information In one post. I do not do it, simply because I put all my meaning into a few words, but many people have trouble with this and must ramble on. This follows the theory of the vorgons in Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy: Humans must keep talking and/or writing, otherwise their brains will start to function, and they would realize just how stupid they really are.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Obviously you are of the era/generation where you want everything summed up in a millisecond and also believe that you know everything there is to know anyway....

Well some of us actually come from a place where we actually like to have a bit of debate and intelligence and have an interest with what other people's point of view is. Obviously you are bored reading this post now because I have gone on longer than two lines of writing.

Just remember that there are other people other than yourself here on ATS and also upon the earth......

If you don't like to read too long into a thread, then go buy yourself a comic or join the nonsense they call Facebook.....

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by davethebear
Obviously you are of the era/generation where you want everything summed up in a millisecond and also believe that you know everything there is to know anyway....

Well some of us actually come from a place where we actually like to have a bit of debate and intelligence and have an interest with what other people's point of view is. Obviously you are bored reading this post now because I have gone on longer than two lines of writing.

Just remember that there are other people other than yourself here on ATS and also upon the earth......

If you don't like to read too long into a thread, then go buy yourself a comic or join the nonsense they call Facebook.....

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

This is such a huge assumption. And insulting. You come froma place with a bit of intelligence.

First off, your response was great. I got past the fifth line because i could actually see the bottom of your post.

Secondly, just rude....just freakin rude.

These threads i make serve a double a purpose. First the response to the issue

Secondly, im taking in attitude and behaviour. Thus far lots of members assume that i have a problem. They assume they know exactly whats wrong and how to fix it.

this is not a problem for me. I dont mind debate. But when was the last time you debated with someone, NOT ONLINE (yes out of the house in the REAL WORLD), and you in your debate, to get your point across you would spit out a small freakin essay?

Never. That never happens in an actual debate. Putting out too much information is almost a form of cheating really. Overload someones thought process, and you can usually divert them from making an actual good point. Distract the mind. You HAVE heard of smoke and mirrors...correct?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

OK....

Your actually asking several questions here (some disguised as statements) and I will do best to answer them in the order that they arose
1) yes I did do it just for the reaction and I sincerely appreciate you obliging me
2) I have worked in sales/marketing and PR for quite awhile and have an awesome ability to spin complete and total BS and I make the most of this awesome ability at any given opportunity, I saw your thread as the perfect place to showcase this particular talent, once again thanks are in order. And I never make assumptions coz when you do you just make an Ass out of you and me (I think thats how that witty saying goes but it doesnt look as clever when typed, sorry)
3) I didnt notice the MY OPINION part as it wasnt there when I clicked on reply but it wouldnt have made any difference or changed the content of my reply in anyway.

Now I feel the need to point out here that you did in fact read past the 5th line of my response.
I think what this makes obvious to everyone here is your personal self centeredness.
What you should have said in your OP was that you cant/dont normally read past the 5th line of any replies that people have put time and effort into making UNLESS THEY ARE ABOUT YOU!!!!

Now the above capitalized statement could easily be taken as an attack on yourself but its more an indictment on our current Capitalistic, Consumeristic, Self Centered, Instant Gratification style of western democarcy that we live in.
Nowadays people are interested in very little if it doesnt directly concern them, look for example at the famines in Africa that happened recently. Everyone heard about it, Millions of people mainly women and children dying everyday but to us what was it? at most for the majority of us it was a short lived thread here on ATS or a small piece in either the papers or MSN news.

I say Nowadays but conceitedness has been with us since the dawn of time, take for instance stone age cave paintings. Most of them are beautiful pieces of artwork that depict horses, bison and other game animals but some arrogant pr!ck thought he was so good that people would care enough to look at the outline of his hand for the next 45,000 yrs as evidenced in this pic

.Stone age pic of some arrogant pr!cks hands

So really we need to look at society as whole and why it is so self centered.
I have several theories for this and will go through below
1) we are constantly bombarded by a media that promotes individualism as opposed to community values
2)Its a genetic survival trait that while may have been necessary for the majority of human history where running away from lions it was always good to be at the front so as to not get eaten
3)Humans as a whole are just naturally selfish by nature

whichever particular school of thought you subscribe to I think you will have to agree that the need for anyone to be selfish or self centered no longer exists.....
And yet we find it everywhere we look, its is no longer just applicable to individuals but also communities, countries, tribes (I use tribes in the broader sense and in this will include such tribal type structures as sporting clubs and social groups) and is basically all pervasive throughout our society.
Really the challenge for modern man indeed the greatest challenge that may ever have faced mankind is to break free of this narrow mindset and see ourselves as 1 big happy organism and accept that everything that we do or even happens around us affects everyone and everything on this great p[lanet of ours and maybe even the whole of existance.

To summarise.... sorry if I offended

Hope this helps

P.s people this took alot of time and energy to write, please feel free to show your appreciation in the form of a star or going back through all previous threads I have started and flagging them

P.p.s I enjoy creative writing and if anyone is looking for a new author I would be happy to take the job

Thank you in advance

Iknowstuff

edit on 15-10-2011 by IkNOwSTuff because: Forgot to ask for stars and a writting contract

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

:O I like facebook thank you very much!

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

I dont see how you are getting that if its not about me i wont read past the fifth line.

Im not acting like i know anything here. Im simply ranting. You project a lot.

And the fact that you acknowledged the "my opinion" line at the bottom but stated it wouldnt have mattered anyways makes me think you just like to hear yourself think.

Anyways, im done with you. I attempted to have an actual debate, but too many assumption so im done.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

I dont see how you are getting that if its not about me i wont read past the fifth line.

Im not acting like i know anything here. Im simply ranting. You project a lot.

And the fact that you acknowledged the "my opinion" line at the bottom but stated it wouldnt have mattered anyways makes me think you just like to hear yourself think.

Anyways, im done with you. I attempted to have an actual debate, but too many assumption so im done.

yes, i do agree, It was funny the first time but now its annoying.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join