It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The arguments against Realism.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Neo_Serf

excellent explanations.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I choose to see reality as what one experiences cause that is what is felt no matter how the exterior things are. Maybe we should focus more on what we perceive instead of the thoughts of how the physical world is to create reality.

Once I was on the toilet after reading how to make psyballs. I did the cup thing with my hands and concentrating on making energy between my hands. after a small minute I gave up and when I put my hands apart there appeared a spark where I focused my attention. An electric spark so we may assume I made electricity with my body.

What you focus on may become real.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by etherical waterwave
I choose to see reality as what one experiences cause that is what is felt no matter how the exterior things are. Maybe we should focus more on what we perceive instead of the thoughts of how the physical world is to create reality.

You can choose to see reality in any way you like, but you can't impose your view of it on anyone else, and you can't declare your opinion to be fact. Oh, and maybe we should try to deal with reality as it actually exists, with brief vacations spent inside our own heads so that we can still have our perception worlds to enjoy. Then again, there's no law that says that you have to understand what you refuse to understand, so maybe the best thing is for folks like me to wish you happiness in whatever version of real you feel like pretending that you occupy.

Once I was on the toilet after reading how to make psyballs. I did the cup thing with my hands and concentrating on making energy between my hands. after a small minute I gave up and when I put my hands apart there appeared a spark where I focused my attention. An electric spark so we may assume I made electricity with my body.

You may assume whatever you like, but that doesn't mean that you actually created electricity with your hands or your mind. In fact, I'd be much more inclined to believe that you created the perception of that tiny spark, and "saw" it inside your mind, where other hallucinations generally appear.

What you focus on may become real.

You need to watch the last couple minutes of the movie "Psycho", and see what Tony Perkins focuses on. In his perceptions, he's convincing the doctors that he's harmless, as he lets that fly walk on his arm without trying to swat it. In his mind, the entire staff is focused on what he's illustrating for the doctors. They, on the other hand, aren't even aware of what he's doing. That's the relationship that your perceptions have with reality.

Yes, it's a cold world out there, but only for those folks who need it to be their servant in order to feel safe and secure.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Your reading too far into it. Yes maybe everything does exist. However, everything perceives it a different way, meaning there's no way to truly tell what the external world is because there are so many different ways animals and humans can see it, there is not 1 solid way it can be perceived. that's my point.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

What changed everything - some time ago, and probably in a lot more locations that just here on planet Earth - was that the procreative corporeal manifestation (as an isolated whole) evolved to become too complex (again due to the trajectory's effort to extend the survival of the Associated units) to effectively manage through cell-level DNA directives and the corporeal whole adjusted by developing a central data configuration/dissemination sub-assembly, which progressed into what we know as the corporeal brain. This allowed those DNA directives to be properly interpreted as larger directives for the entire holon trajectory, as well as the lesser sub-assembly directives, which would have been (likely) impossible for localized cell-level DNA information sources to successfully manage in a more loosely coordinated effort.

You are correct about more locations than just THIS earth, but what if "the event" is the exact opposite? What if "someones" were resposible for it happening and "those" responsible for it occurring, are of the greatest consciousness possible, with the knowledge of the universe at "their" disposal? What if none of this is by accident, but as you called it, an Event but kNot an Event Horizon, but rather, the opposite, an Event Zenith (EZ for short)?

With that, it could be said that Life is EZ.

Originally posted by NorEaster
So, yes, we are affected by our surroundings, since we (you and me) both exist as Dynamic Information trajectories, and become what our brains create of us. It's more complex than this, and with many more intermediary steps, but this is a basic sketch of what perception is and how it developed.

Well said!

Ribbit

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
Hmmm, your theory has but one flaw.

I am the only real person alive and everything else is a figment of my imagination.

edit on 14-10-2011 by TheComte because: (no reason given)

I always thought that I was the only person real in reality...everyone and everything was an illusion. Hey what color is your sky? Some days mine is aqua marine btw!

I kinda like the sound of that phrase...could catch on as a meme.
edit on 15-10-2011 by blazenresearcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I know why you are asking this question. I believe we are about to make a jump to a different form of reality and many are feeling it or knowing it. An evolutionary step that most would not even have known was possible and many still don't know.

To question reality is to assume the possiblity of an alternate reality. Some are aware that the uptick in the level of consciousness seen around the globe is the proverbial "Trumpet" announcing the shift in our reality.

Good question!

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

You can choose to see reality in any way you like, but you can't impose your view of it on anyone else, and you can't declare your opinion to be fact.

If reality is objective, perhaps you can clarify for me the wave/particle duality of light.

When you measure light as a wave, it exhibits wave-like characteristics. Yet when you treat it as a particle, it displays contradictory qualities that indicate it is a particle rather than a wave. This duality is not merely an artifact of our viewpoint, either.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
The only argument against Realism is that Realism typically is materialist in nature and does not include the Transcendent principle of life, The One which is principle of fullness that overflows its Will to create the universe.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

Hence the duality....structuring our polarized dualistic existence. There is nothing to be explained except the observation of it renders it into a particle state.
edit on 15-10-2011 by blazenresearcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrRamblinRose

Your reading too far into it. Yes maybe everything does exist. However, everything perceives it a different way, meaning there's no way to truly tell what the external world is because there are so many different ways animals and humans can see it, there is not 1 solid way it can be perceived. that's my point.

Can we at least agree that always and forever more 2+2=4? And this formula is always correct regardless of an organisms capacity to understand it?

sure, we do not see the world perfectly. the moon looks as big as the sun, the earth looks flat-ish to the eye, and radio waves are invisible. That our eyes see a water hole in the desert does not mean we will do anything but die if we walk towards a mirage.

to overcome and understand the limitations of the immediate is the purpose of logic. that no gods eye view is possible does not invalidate the things we *can* see and understand.

if i have not seen the pyramid but instead have closely examined one slab of stone, my knowledge of its bumps and grooves is indeed valid, and when i step back and look at its form in full view, my understanding of the brick i examined is incorporated into my wider understanding of the structure, and is not thrown out because said knowledge was gained in the absence of my now wider view.

to sum up - that we dont know *everything* does not imply that we know *nothing*.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MrRamblinRose

Hi there. You say in your op that to the eye the world is constant and unchanging, yet to me the world of things is always changing, nothing stays the same. 'Things' seem to be decaying as is your body. The trees have leaves then they don't and they are getting bigger (growing) or that's how it appears. Sometimes our pants fit and sometimes they don't. The thoughts about ourself change constantly. Every 'thing' is flowing, moving, changing, morphing constantly.

Reality is something real that never changes. It is what experiences all 'things', all apparent happenings. That one thing is constantly present and aware.
The 'things', the appearances have no reality, they are like a flowing stream of color and sound.
The being of this present moment is reality. There was not another moment though, all appearances appear here and now as experience, it is one and you are one with it, but not two.
Presence is being everything. And presence is seeing everything, knowing all. But presence is not a thing.
No-thing does stay the same, eternally.

edit on 22-10-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join