It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most Influential band of all time

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Before you post your rant on who you think is more Influential do some reading first.

The Ventures is an American instrumental rock band formed in 1958 in Tacoma, Washington. Founded by Don Wilson and Bob Bogle, the group in its various incarnations has had an enduring impact on the development of music worldwide. With over 100 million records sold[1] it is the best-selling instrumental band of all time. In 2008, the Ventures were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Major musicians and bands who identified the Ventures as an influence include:

Jeff Baxter (Steely Dan and The Doobie Brothers)
The Beach Boys
Blondie
Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac)
Stanley Clarke
Jeff Cook (Alabama)
Dave Davies (The Kinks)
Ray Davies (The Kinks)
Rick Derringer (The McCoys and The Edgar Winter Group)
Al Di Meola
Elliot Easton (The Cars)
John Entwistle (The Who)[13]
Roger Fisher (Heart)
John Fogerty (Creedence Clearwater Revival)
Peter Frampton
Roger Glover (Deep Purple)
Art Greenhaw (The Light Crust Doughboys)

The Go-Go's
Tom Hamilton (Aerosmith)
George Harrison (The Beatles)
Billy Idol
Billy Joel[1]
David Johansen (New York Dolls and Buster Poindexter)
Elton John
Eric Johnson
Terry Kath (Chicago)
Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits)
Robby Krieger (The Doors)
Cyndi Lauper
Steve Lukather (Toto)
Jeff Lynne (Electric Light Orchestra)
Brian May (Queen)[14]
Roger Mayer
Keith Moon (The Who)

Ted Nugent
Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
Walter Parazaider (Chicago)[15]
Joe Perry (Aerosmith)
The Pretenders
The Ramones
Gene Simmons (Kiss)
Paul Simonon (The Clash)
Chris Spedding
Stephen Stills
Jimmy Vaughan[16]
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Joe Walsh (James Gang and the Eagles)
Max Weinberg (E Street Band)
Alan White (Yes)
Ricky Wilson (The B-52s)
Johnny Thunders

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I'm quite familiar with The Ventures but I would have to say the most influential is the Beatles. Though I'm not a big fan of theirs they took music from "singles" to the concept of the "album".

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The Beatles ... its the easy answer.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a band that influenced music more than they did.

It just had to be said ... why not by me?

Damn! Intrepid beat me to it.
edit on 14-10-2011 by underduck because: INTREPID!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

Hell yeah the Ventures.

To this day, favorite version of House of the Rising Sun

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Listen to The Beatles music of 1962 and then listen to their music in 1969 plus all the years inbetween. Their progression was astonising. They led others folowed. The Ventures.........much the same music from start to finish.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Should have read my whole post, George Harrison stated in a Guitar Player interview that he preferred the American guitar sound of The Ventures to British contemporaries.

I am a Beatle fan also but George Harrison admits influence by the Ventures.
As did the list of others I posted , " Try reading and just responding to my posts title."
edit on 14-10-2011 by OLD HIPPY DUDE because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I'm quite familiar with The Ventures but I would have to say the most influential is the Beatles. Though I'm not a big fan of theirs they took music from "singles" to the concept of the "album".

Led Zeppelin's gotta be up there, but I'd have to agree. Metallica? For y'all that don't know, they go back close to 30 years now.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by OLD HIPPY DUDE
I am a Beatle fan also but George Harrison admits influence by the Ventures.

Yup and one of my personal favs.... Buddy Holly. That said, the Beatles changed the music scene like no other band.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Gota love The Ventures. But the most influential band of all time? I'm not sure.

I dont like the whole who is the best/most influential debate, its all a matter of opinion I personally think The Beatles, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin shaped modern day music. I could not even begin to guess which is greater or has more of an impact on the artists of the world today.
edit on 14-10-2011 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
You people kill me they are on the list, get over it.

The Beatles George Harrison
Led Zeppelin Jimmy Page

Keep trying .

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

The Ventures may have been instrumental in influencing some of the Beatles later sounds, as well as other acts; but the Beatles were influential in thousands of musical acts. (probably an understatement).

Im not a huge fan of the Beatles, but as I get older, I seem to appreciate their work more and more.

The Ventures sound never changed. The Beatles advanced and changed their sound a numerous times. When it comes to music, they lead the way. Most will agree with this assessment.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Although not cited as such by a list of Players; this quote says a mouthful:

Link Wray - Wiki

Wray was noted for pioneering a new sound for electric guitars, as exemplified in his hit 1958 instrumental "Rumble", by Link Wray and his Ray Men, which pioneered an overdriven, distorted electric guitar sound. He also "invented the power chord, the major modus operandi of modern rock guitarist,"[1] "and in doing so fathering," or making possible, "punk and heavy rock".[2] Rolling Stone included Link at number 67 on its list of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time.[3]

Edit: INVENTED THE POWER CHORD.
edit on 14-10-2011 by Dogdish because: Invented the POWER CHORD!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Dude, if you didn't want input why did you ask? I like The Ventures but just because they influenced one of the Beatles doesn't make them the most influential band. I've given you the reasons I think it's the Beatles. Accept it or not.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I said most influential ,I did not say who changed the music scene or who shaped modern day music.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

George Harrison amongst others was also influenced by Hank Marvin of The Shadows:-

www.ultimate-guitar.com...

I also think The Shadows where are far better instrumental group than The Ventures:-

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Well if you want the first person to influence music and is responsible for the whole medium of music. I suppose we will have to go back to the first ape to beat on a rock with a steady beat. There. Case Closed.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

The point is the list of people who admit influence by the Ventures is pretty impressive which seems to be ignored. I never said best group or artist.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

If you want to use the word "Influence" then this is what your Rolling Stone Magazine has to say about the word.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I said most influential ,I did not say who changed the music scene or who shaped modern day music.

The Beatles
The Beatles
The Stooges
The Beatles

As always, you are entitled to your own opinion. As is everyone else.
You think The Ventures are the the band that had the most influence. Most every one else thinks it was the The Beatles.

edit on 14-10-2011 by DIDtm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
ITT: People who know nothing about music.

The Velvet Underground is the most influential band of all time, closely followed by the Beatles.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join