It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama orders U.S. troops to help chase down African 'army' leader

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
its like a huge game of risk to these psychopaths.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
It's about time. Obama had actually promised to get involved in this about a year ago. For those of you who have no idea what this is about, you can find a lot of info on it at invisiblechildren.com. The LRA is responsible for a 20 year long war, that is being fought with children that Joseph Kony has abducted and brainwashed into fighting for him. If there was ever any war worth getting involved in, in recent times, this is it. There is an entire generation ofchildren living in the Sudan area that have known nothing but war. They were forced to live their lives in constant fear of being abducted, even having to all crowd together in bus stations to hide from the LRA. Luckily through great organizations like invisible children, they don't have to do that anymore. The biggest tragedy of it all is that it's been 20 years, and yet no one on here, a site that "denies ignorance" knows about it.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I see that RT also has a piece on this story.

www.rt.com...

Here's some interesting things I pulled out of it.

The first American troops already arrived in Uganda on Wednesday and will soon deploy elsewhere throughout the region once other area nations approve the action.

Oh, so he didnt tell us until after the troops have been sent there....but....other area nations still need to approve the action?

Wouldnt it be more logical to make sure the nations you want to go fight in actually approve of your prescence first? (I doubt the US is even waiting for approval, we've problably already gone into the other countries)

An officer with the US Department of Defense confirmed today to ABC News that American troops are expected to stick around in Africa “for a few months.”

Oh thats great! Just a few months! Its not like they have said something like that before....Libya....and we were only supposed to be there for a few weeks at max and now its .....7 or something months? These guys are so accurate with their dates.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
As a military veteran, I served our country proudly because we had a mission but now its becoming pathetic with what is going on, I mean back in Africa? I thought we ousted Adid only to have his son take power and now this group? We need to stop being the worlds police officers and focus on the BIGGER picture, like securing OUR borders and keeping our citizens safe. Just my nickles worth

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Just heard on FNC that this is a Special Forces unit, and that they are being called advisors.

Sounds like nothing more than a doctrinal foreign internal defense mission. These are as much diplomatic as military. They'll be observing how the Africans operate and try to steer them towards compliance with humanitarian law, teach basic skills, Americanize their tactics, and do the hearts and minds thing. We hire a lot of Ugandans to work with our military, so it's in our interest that they're familiar with the American military. It's also in our interest that Africa doesn't devolve into a stateless mess under the control of a religious cult, like Afghanistan.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I'm having a Mogadishu (1993) flashback ...

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Here is a fun fact about Sudan:

In 2010, Sudan was considered the 17th-fastest-growing economy[118] in the world and the rapid development of the country largely from oil profits even when facing international sanctions was noted by the The New York Times in a 2006 article.[119] Due to the secession of South Sudan, which contained over 80 percent of Sudan's oilfields, the economic forecast for Sudan in 2011 and beyond is uncertain.

Wiki

I will give it 30 days before there is a fabricated reason to have either NATO boots on the ground, or the US goes all in alone. If there is oil, that is the reason for our presence. Sorry, but the pattern of countries that have alleged terrorists in them only interest the US anymore if there is an exploitable resource.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by redrose123

what can I say...when a person is right they are right, and you are indeed correct. I concur. DH

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Just heard on FNC that this is a Special Forces unit, and that they are being called advisors..

Where have I heard that before?

Possibly here:

1955 through 1960 -- the U.S. had between 750 and 1,500 military advisors assisting the Diem government to establish an effective army, organized as the Military Assistance and Advisory Group (MAAG), Vietnam.
Source:olive-drab.com...
Yes, Vietnam. Of-course 100 Advisor's don't sound like much, But neither did 750 in 1955.
The Next question is, Cost of Materials and Supplies.
Just my 2 cents,,,,,,,,

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

check out Uganda in relation to your query on this large map:

www.ilike2learn.com...

link   
Maybe if the Ugandan government pulled there fingers out and stopped these people from training children to be killers, america wouldnt intervene as usual. the world would be a better place without them.

link   
Its really bothers me how we keep getting drawn into conflicts. There are plenty of people id like ousted from power too but seriously? As is our SF Teams and Special Operators are not overworked as is, yes their missions are clear and this is what they get paid for but use them where we really need them. I heard Mr Prince is training highly qualified individuals to interdict Somali Pirates so why not train more indivduals to handle something like this, I mean after all, we are just sending "advisors" there.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Great Find, I love reading snippets like this, Again Im so happy i rejoined ATS so I can throw in my nickles and dimes worth!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blu82
As a military veteran, I served our country proudly because we had a mission but now its becoming pathetic with what is going on, I mean back in Africa? I thought we ousted Adid only to have his son take power and now this group? We need to stop being the worlds police officers and focus on the BIGGER picture, like securing OUR borders and keeping our citizens safe. Just my nickles worth

You have indeed spoken well: I thank you for your service to this nation. I was unable to do so do to a problem with my knees, but my dad was in Korea and wounded three times. His Purple Hearts a testament to his bravery. I often wonder ..even back then was he wounded in vain? But at least half of Korea was salvaged. He did well..
The guns salute at his funeral was more than deserved. .
I can remember as a child, my dad waking up in the middle of the night with cold sweats screaming sometimes. Mom calmed him down and would get him back to sleep. but we knew.
so I respect the service greatly, and have the highest regard for those who were able to do what I was not allowed to do. Even today they serve well, but they do not choose where they are sent. It is our leaders that do that and it seems those leaders have been less than faithful to the constitution and to the people
Thanks again for your service.
DH

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Here's more info on the group that Kony is the leader of:

The Lord's Resistance Army (LRA)

The Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), led by Joseph Kony, operated in the north from bases in southern Sudan. The LRA committed numerous abuses and atrocities, including the abduction, rape, maiming, and killing of civilians, including children. In addition to destabilizing northern Uganda from bases in Sudan, the LRA congregated in the Bunia area in eastern Congo. They linked up with the Army for the Liberation of Rwanda (ALIR) and other rebel groups that were battling with forces from the Rally for Congolese Democracy (RCD).

The Wiki for the group claims that the LRA is on the list of terror organizations but it doesn't jive with the list ?

The President says the goal is to help target Kony and his key leaders, but says the US forces will not engage unless in self defense.

Why send the troops? Why not an SF group, and send one of the drones in if their goal is to eliminate Kony? It's not like he hasn't used drones before?

Is there anything else going on that would require boots on the ground?

Need more time to absorb this one, since I am not totally familiar with this group, nor the history..

Hopefully one of our fine members is able to clear this one up

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Why boots on the ground?
They are retrieving something.
Diamonds, Platinum, Crashed UFO, could be just about anything of high value.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

Maybe oil again?

Sudan

Uganda

Kenya

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
This reminds me of a sign on the back of a tank in Iraq.
It said, "We were infantry. Now we're advisors. But we can still kill you."

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DavidsHope

Well I had to do something after Ieft the police department because I was headed into a bad direction and my father served 26 years in the Marine Corps so i was inclined to spite him and join the Army which I have no regrets. I just dont seeing our people so outstretched when we have other important issues to deal with.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

I find it hard to ague with Nagato. She can be so... persuasive.

At any rate, a couple of bones to pick here.

The Obama administration is simply incompetent.

incompetent regarding what? Cause I have seen worse jobs done as president and people still LOVE them.

History will not be kind to Obama

See, unless something big happens this is so wrong its not even funny. World history will love Obama (including american history). He has helped displace dictators and kill mass murders, that's something that will pretty much define his presidency.

I am still not clear on why you would even say that.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Why boots on the ground?
It's the only way to ensure casualties of our own troops.
We are stretching our military capabilities way too thin.
Libya, Mexico, Sudan, it's starting to read more like a oil field itinerary.
Purely coincidental, I'm sure.

I don't think this is a coincident. Oil find in uganda....

www.reuters.com...

I can hear Halliburton licking her chops as we speak.
edit on 14-10-2011 by whaaa because: k5k

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join