It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Mars Be Between Ice Ages? Experts Say 'Yes'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Source

"Mars is not a dead planet -it undergoes climate changes that are even more pronounced than on Earth."

James Head, planetary geologist, Brown University

The prevailing thinking is that Mars is a planet whose active climate has been confined to the distant past. About 3.5 billion years ago, the Red Planet had extensive flowing water and then fell quiet - deadly quiet. It didn't seem the climate had changed much since. However, studies by scientists at Brown University have shown that  Mars' climate has been much more dynamic than previously believed.

This high-resolution image above, taken by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, shows the rock debris that Brown scientists believe was left by a glacier that rose at least one kilometer from the surrounding plain and flowed downward onto the canyon.

So, if this is true, then would there be periods of less hostility? We have recently figured out that Mars' atmosphere is saturated with water so will there be a time when that water would be on the ground?

This is quite an interesting topic and to think that maybe Mars could become less hostile is an interesting thought.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Saturated with water, 6 parts per billion is saturation? On what planet?

Last Earth Ice Age.

How it would look on Mars.

Mars today.

Real convincing this guy sounds huh?

I'll tell you I never heard more cockamamy stories coming from jerks with a degree ever before in my life than these last couple of years! Well last decade then. Boggles the mind I guess people want so bad their 15 minutes of fame, or flame.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Those in power want us to think Mars is dead. Slowly the truth is coming out. Ask yourself, why would they want to keep that knowledge to themselves.

Then ask yourself if it seems like they are taking care of planet Earth like it's "the only planet we've got?"

Earth is our prison planet.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Read about Mars' supersaturated atmosphere. It's an interesting read.

Pred...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I posted on a thread about the supersaturation in Mars's atmosphere, I wasn't aware there were more than one. Is my numbers off or something? I mean comparatively to earth.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

So, if this is true, then would there be periods of less hostility? We have recently figured out that Mars' atmosphere is saturated with water so will there be a time when that water would be on the ground?

No.
The amount of water in the supersaturated regions of the atmosphere of Mars is very low. The atmosphere is very thin, it doesn't take much water to saturate it.
But as the article states, the water is already on the ground in the form of ice at the poles. The idea is that in a Martian "ice age" the ice would move to lower latitudes as the poles warm.

In contrast to Earth's ice ages, a Martian ice age expands when the poles warm, and water vapor is transported toward lower latitudes. Martian ice ages wane when the poles cool and lock water into polar icecaps.

www.dailygalaxy.com...

edit on 10/7/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Just to let this gorilla in the room

If both Mars and Earth are between ice ages does this mean that human influenced climate change takes a hit ?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

You didn't notice that a Martian "ice age" occurs when it is warmer (or should I say, less cold)?
If the theory is right, Mars is now in a cold(er) period.
edit on 10/7/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

join