It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops shoot dog for being threatening, dog doesn't look threatening at all.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

LAGRANGE, Mo. — The owner of a dog shot by LaGrange police officers who said they acted in self-defense was convicted in city court Thursday of not registering the dog with the city and failure to leash or muzzle a vicious dog.

Marcus Mays says his dog was an American Bulldog and not vicious. Two neighbors and both police officers gave contradictory testimony, and Judge Fred Westhoff fined Mays $130 for the offenses.

A police videotape of the shooting is on YouTube and has created a stir because it shows officer Doug Howell shooting the dog twice after it became agitated while on a catch poll.

Missouri Humane Society investigator Carmen Skelly attended the bench trial Thursday and said more investigation will take place from her agency. She declined to discuss the video, which was not shown in court.

“We will make sure that ordinances and state statues are followed” when it comes to protecting animals, Skelly said after the hearing.

*I edited out the link to the youtube video. If ATS will allow me to post a link to it I will. There is evidence of this all happening. Source at the bottom of post.

Personally this sickens me. For every good cop we have we have at least another bad cop. It's insane how many videos and reports of cops doing bad things that come out in this country. It seems like every week we see a new report of a cop abusing his power and I strongly feel we need our government to get a handle on it. Or maybe we need to start a movement for them to get a handle on it.

Do you think this was justified ATS?

edit on 10/5/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

Edit:

Found a source for a report.

www.whig.com...

The resolution "LaGrange Police Chief Dale McNelly said “it’s never a win situation” and said the two officers involved in the dog shooting will not be disciplined or suspended. He also said the department has $30,000 in the budget to build a new dog pound."
a

edit on 10/5/2011 by tothetenthpower because: Mod edit--external content.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Well if the rest of today's threads on ATS didn't put me in a negative mood, this one certainly did.

Yeah, corrupt cops. Poor dog.

I'm definitely taking a break from this website now.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

It's truly sad and in the video it's even worse. They shoot the dog and when they shoot it the first time it sits down and wags it's tail. Then they shoot it in the head.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I have seen alot of videos in which cops just decide to take dogs out, they don't give a damn.

Cowards.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Justified. Sorry but these dogs shouldn`t be running around free. Be a good dog owner and follow the leash laws and these things won`t happen.
No one should fear your dog on the street especially if you are not there to control it.

Now if this dog would have gotten the better half of the kid waiting on the bus would you be singing oh poor doggy? It`s happened before and will happen again till people maintain their dogs.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Connman
Justified. Sorry but these dogs shouldn`t be running around free. Be a good dog owner and follow the leash laws and these things won`t happen.
No one should fear your dog on the street especially if you are not there to control it.

Now if this dog would have gotten the better half of the kid waiting on the bus would you be singing oh poor doggy? It`s happened before and will happen again till people maintain their dogs.

Wait what?

This is a small town keep that in mind. I don't know if there are leash laws. I need to reread the article to see if they mention anything like that. Dogs can run free if they want in my opinion. No one should fear a dog on the street because dogs don't just randomly attack people unless they've been abused or are scared. Dogs are very loveable. If it was someone's pet I have a hard time imagining it was vicious. Then again some people keep vicious dogs as pets. I just find it hard to believe.

As for it getting the jump on some kid. I don't think that would have happened. Also it didn't happen. Let's talk facts not "what ifs". Would you be happy if this was your dog?

Even as I write this my dog is chillin on the bed next to me looking happy as can be.

edit: Also the dog was restrained when they shot it.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
First off...please stop stating "for every good cop there is a bad cop" that is the most ignorant statement anyone can say. We never see video of the everyday deeds many good cops do. Sure there are bad cops & they are the ones that shed a bad image. Just like white trash and jiggers. Anyways back to the story...with a dog you can never let your guard down with certain dogs. Bulldogs I don't believe have a naturally agressive behavior but I knew someone that had a huge bulldog and that thing was very intimidating the first time a saw it. Nice has hell but I did not want me kids around him.

Also my neighbor has a medium dog (30-40 pounds maybe) that is nice but has bitten holes in my shirt and my wifes shirt. A few months ago the dog attacked another dog that was on a walk. Ended up biting the ladies hand. Lucky for them no charges were pressed or anything done to the dog.

I have a pug so I don't believe I would have any issues.

But any large sized dog can create a lot of tension just because of their size.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Connman

You are absolutely out of your mind.

If you had watched the video, you see that the action taken was completely unjustified.

The entire video the dog is showing signs of submissive behavior – head down, ears back, spine slightly curved.

The only time the dog acts out is when the put the choke pole around his neck, and then he calms down after. The dog was standing there doing nothing bad when they shot him.

Don’t be an idiot – this behavior was uncalled for, and the police responsible need to be brought up on charges for animal cruelty, and sent to jail.

Sorry bud, but you are wrong – and these cops acted like stupid children, and worse than animals…. Pathetic.

That dog posed no threat while on the choke pole – and if the cop wouldn’t have been holding the pole like a flimsy wristed idiot, he wouldn’t have almost lost control of it….

They were in the wrong.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
One day a cop will shoot a dog which belongs to someone who has PTSD and combat training. I would not want to be that cop.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by HawkeyeNation

First off...please stop stating "for every good cop there is a bad cop" that is the most ignorant statement anyone can say. We never see video of the everyday deeds many good cops do. Sure there are bad cops & they are the ones that shed a bad image. Just like white trash and jiggers.

When it gets to the point that we don't see a story like this every week then I'll stop saying that. It's just how I see it. I know we have good cops though don't get me wrong on that front. It still bugs me though.

Anyways back to the story...with a dog you can never let your guard down with certain dogs. Bulldogs I don't believe have a naturally agressive behavior but I knew someone that had a huge bulldog and that thing was very intimidating the first time a saw it. Nice has hell but I did not want me kids around him.

Fair enough but you haven't seen the video. I guess I'll go look it up and post it in a post. If the mods find it inappropriate I will remove it. Anyways.

Also my neighbor has a medium dog (30-40 pounds maybe) that is nice but has bitten holes in my shirt and my wifes shirt. A few months ago the dog attacked another dog that was on a walk. Ended up biting the ladies hand. Lucky for them no charges were pressed or anything done to the dog. I have a pug so I don't believe I would have any issues. But any large sized dog can create a lot of tension just because of their size.

Yes but in the video this dog is just laying there. It's so heart breaking.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

CLICK AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION.

Mods remove this post if it is inappropriate. I feel like this is key evidence in the discussion.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
One day a cop will shoot a dog which belongs to someone who has PTSD and combat training. I would not want to be that cop.

I understand this attitude to a certain degree but I don't feel like it solves anything to wish death upon these cops. (which is basically what you're doing right?)

I think we should get some legislation make a real change that cops have to be held way more accountable for their actions than they are.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

I'm not wishing death upon the cops. I am expressing a sentiment. Personally, I care more about my dogs than I do most people. I have PTSD and combat training.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Watch the video again from the beginning. The dog is chained to the truck the entire time until the cops get him on the pole, then they took him off his chain. At the end, you see the shooter pick up the chain and toss it in the back of the truck...

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Why you trippin' over a dog? Wait til they turn their practice into game-time and start doing it to people. Eventually, people will have to start standing up for SOMETHING. Afterall, if you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING!

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

I can't wait until people start doing the same to out of control pigs.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Be a good dog owner and follow the leash laws and these things won`t happen.

How do you know the dog didn't just get free? It has happened before ya know.....it's happened to my dog.

You can cry should of could of would of all day, but in the end, THIS dog did nothing wrong except be in the street.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749
I understand this attitude to a certain degree but I don't feel like it solves anything to wish death upon these cops.

I'm sorry but this attitude is not something that has just happened in people. It's been brewing for quite some time and the cops are going to find out when the tipping point is if they don't change their ways.

And no, I'm not "wishing" anything. Just observing and stating what WILL happen.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
There was a time that I believed that for every bad cop there were two good ones. That time has been coming to an end the last couple of years. There are few things I would find more enjoyable than being able to treat cops like they treat dogs.

During the occupy wall street protest old Tony Baloney was out there with his pepper spray attacking RANDOM people. Could someone please tell me why he was not treated like that poor dog that attacked NO ONE?

I have truly had enough of this once great country and am looking at several other places to call home. Hell even North Vietnam is more honest than this freaking place.

We all got the Government we deserved.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
They need to give cops tranquilizer guns for dogs, because it is obvious that there are a LOT of cops that are scared silly over dogs.

I used to walk 2 miles a day as a young kid. Back then most dogs WERE free to run around. There were mean dogs that would try to pitch a fit as I walked in front of their homes. I always knew I'd just have a few rocks to throw at the dogs that threatened me - little rocks. Just THROWING a small rock at most dogs will make them turn tail and run.

I was a 8 year old GIRL.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join