It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Than 700 Occupy Wall St Protesters Arrested Saturday

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

More than 700 protesters demonstrating against corporate greed, global warming and social inequality, among other grievances, were arrested Saturday after they swarmed the Brooklyn Bridge and shut down a lane of traffic for several hours in a tense confrontation with police.

The group Occupy Wall Street has been camped out in a plaza in Manhattan's Financial District for nearly two weeks staging various marches, and had orchestrated an impromptu trek to Brooklyn on Saturday afternoon. They walked in thick rows on the sidewalk up to the bridge, where some demonstrators spilled onto the roadway after being told to stay on the pedestrian pathway, police said.

The majority of those arrested were given citations for disorderly conduct and were released, police said.

Some protesters sat on the roadway, chanting "Let us go," while others chanted and yelled at police from the pedestrian walkaway above. Police used orange netting to stop the group from going farther down the bridge, which is under construction.

Some of the protesters said they were lured onto the roadway by police, or they didn't hear the calls from authorities to head to the pedestrian walkway. Police said no one was tricked into being arrested, and those in the back of the group who couldn't hear were allowed to leave.

"Multiple warnings by police were given to protesters to stay on the pedestrian walkway and that if they took roadway they would be arrested," said Paul Browne, the chief spokesman of the New York Police Department. Erin Larkins, a Columbia University graduate student at who says she and her boyfriend have significant student loan debt, was among the thousands of protesters on the bridge.

She said a friend persuaded her to join the march and she's glad she did. "I don't think we're asking for much, just to wake up every morning not worrying whether we can pay the rent, or whether our next meal will be rice and beans again," Larkins wrote in an email to The Associated Press. "No one is expecting immediate change. I think everyone is just hopeful that people will wake up a bit and realize that the more we speak up, the more the people that do have the authority to make changes in this world listen."

So 700 people were arrested yesterday. I'm sure some were deserving, some weren't. This will happen with large protests.I'm just glad so far things haven't gotten out of control, and violent outbreaks aren't occurring.

If this can stay peaceful, and continue to gain momentum, it will only help. I'm sure there will be another huge turnout tomorrow, and hope it can stay peaceful.We don't need people coming in with alternate agenda's, stirring the pot.

I must say, while I support everyones right to protest, and am glad so many are doing so, other people who aren't protesting, have a right to get to and from wherever it is they are going. Blocking cars/bridges just pisses people off, and causes more trouble then is necessary.

edit on 2-10-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
giving out citations doesnt seem non violent to me, its just meant to appear that way, its being forced on the people, tables need to change, not to mention the protest will do nothing without violence and rage. People cant live on the street forever

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

So that's 700 out of the reported 200 that the msm are claiming is there? I'm not great with fractions but...

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
It seems that this Occupy Wall Street thing is getting steam.

Even though I hardly agree with many of the protesters (like the Mao worshiper types) I have to agree with the cause. Wall Street has screwed the economy over and have pretty much taken zero loss for it.

Now if these protesters would also march on Washington for bailing out Wall Street as well as making sure the laws work to Wall Street's benefit, I would pack my bags and drive 2000 miles to join up.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
if they want us to use sidewalks when we put our hands up the gears of the machine, then they ought to make it bigger, cause there is alot of people who want to stop this machine

www.youtube.com...

alot of people feeling like they arent free and need to stop the machine, so much so they cant fit on the sidewalks they are corraled onto and thus are punished....punished because to many are feeling they aren't free....punished because there are to many of them to fit on the sidewalk,

streets and bridges are a part of this machine, just one of those pieces that can affect the machine,

stop the machine,
edit on 10/2/11 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
This is the video of some of these arrests.

I really don't have to say much, the video explains itself.

I watched live at www.livestream.com...

It's actually pretty surreal, a lot of these people are not doing anything.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

So that's 700 out of the reported 200 that the msm are claiming is there? I'm not great with fractions but...

Don't worry, 10 out of 7 Americans aren't good with fractions, you're not alone!

They have proven that they can arrest hundreds.
Now, let's see if they can arrest THOUSANDS!
If they can, then I think you know what's next.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
if they were smart they would see they out number the cops 5 to 1 if not 10 to 1, should just lock up the cops

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed

Originally posted by Cuervo

Don't worry, 10 out of 7 Americans aren't good with fractions, you're not alone!

They have proven that they can arrest hundreds.
Now, let's see if they can arrest THOUSANDS!
If they can, then I think you know what's next.

FATWWTRC!

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
The News isn't telling the News again:
The thing is, if you look at the comments on Reuters: www.reuters.com...

Many people are claiming it was a police tactic to corral the people onto the bridge in the first place!

Read 'em! Here's a coupla excerpts:

"Police led thousands of protestors to the Brooklyn Bridge and then blocked them off at both ends; this is illegal, it violates the constitution, most specifically: “Freedom of Assembly: the right of the people peaceably to assemble” and the situation currently falls under ENTRAPMENT because the police forced the protestors onto the bridge and then started arresting them for blocking the bridge."

"I was there–the police were walking beside us from the park, making sure no one went off the sidewalk. They then continued walking with us onto the bridge, saying nothing. I became suspicious when we started walking on the highway, turned around and went on the pedestrian walkway. Hundreds of others continued with the police onto the bridge–there were no warnings. After traffic was blocked, the policed surrounded the people on the bridge, cordoned them off with organ mesh, and put people in handcuffs. Buses were being brought in to carry the arrested people away.

My impression on the ground: it was obviously coordinated by the police ahead of time. Depressing, yes, but I think this means the powers that be are starting to get afraid.

Fortunately everything was caught on hundreds of cameras of protesters, tourists, bystanders, and reporters. This will only stir further protests and add fuel to the fires of democracy in NYC and elsewhere across our great country."

edit on 2-10-2011 by gottaknow because: forgot link

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
did you really think the city was going to foot the police bill all by themselves

welcome to capitalism bunch of unruly people who violated the law

get to pay for their weekend at bernies.

totally priceless

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
did you really think the city was going to foot the police bill all by themselves

totally priceless

Which laws?!

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Lol.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
The solution to our nations problems is to jail more people!!
Having a problem paying your bills? Don't have a home anymore?
No worries! Now you can chill in jail where you won't be a nuisance to the wealthy!

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I just watched a video of a gentleman that was apart of the crowd that didn't get arrested on the bridge and he explained that the cops allowed the group on the bridge, then baited them to step out of the 'safe' zone then proceeded to arrest them.

Basically he said the police ordered them to do something that got them arrested and the part of the crowd that did not listen (partly because they might've been farther away so they didn't hear the orders) were not arrested.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Iunlimited: Kindly post that on everything or at least more things, please! I've never seen a better display of false news in my life!

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by gottaknow
Iunlimited: Kindly post that on everything or at least more things, please! I've never seen a better display of false news in my life!

YES! Please!! This just got REAL interesting!

edit to add:

I'm going to print this out, make copies and pin it up everywhere it's legal to do so.
edit on 2-10-2011 by tjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

They were charged with disorderly conduct, well lets look at the definition of orderly.

Orderly
www.thefreedictionary.com...
well-behaved, controlled, disciplined, quiet, restrained, law-abiding, obedient, docile, nonviolent, peaceable, decorous

Note how certain words really stand out

controlled, quiet, restrained, obedient & docile

All the hallmarks of a sheople society, ruled by the iron fist of big brother.

The "do as we say or else" government.

Starts to sound like fascism, just they call it by the alledged title of democracy

Is it democracy when the leader can order the assassination of its citizens without "due process of the law"..

fascism
www.thefreedictionary.com...
system of government marked by centralization of authority
suppression of the opposition
Oppressive

edit on 2-10-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

totally priceless

Yeah-because in America today you are not allowed to protest peacefully against the criminal elite.(sarc)
Violated the law?
Are you serious?
Isn't the right to freedom of expression enshrined in the US constitution?
Well,yes it is-but the criminal elite piss all over the constitution every day IMO.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Just read a forbes article about this and

Some of the protesters said they were lured onto the roadway by police, or they didn't hear the calls from authorities to head to the pedestrian walkway. Police said no one was tricked into being arrested, and those in the back of the group who couldn't hear were allowed to leave.

So if these arrest where by the book and on the up and up, isn't ignorance of the law no excuse? so because some couldnt hear they let them go? yeah right, sounds like trying to make the cop sound nicer about arresting 700 americans who where practicing their 1st amendment rights.

Didnt see this post

I just watched a video of a gentleman that was apart of the crowd that didn't get arrested on the bridge and he explained that the cops allowed the group on the bridge, then baited them to step out of the 'safe' zone then proceeded to arrest them. Basically he said the police ordered them to do something that got them arrested and the part of the crowd that did not listen (partly because they might've been farther away so they didn't hear the orders) were not arrested.

That explains the forbes article, thats some High quality BS on the cops part.
edit on 2-10-2011 by benrl because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join