It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear Atheists: As your sun is setting.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I have a question for you: Why are you so vocal and angry at the moment? We have books, lecture tours and posts on here that could best be described as a passive aggressive [and sometimes not so passive]. What fuels that I wonder?

Einstein said of the ‘professional atheist’ “I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth”.

Is it this? The ugly past? That is emotion and not science.

I believe [no pun intended] that it is far more reprehensible to mock and denigrate a person’s personal beliefs than it is to be wrong about something. So, why the anger? Why the stock answers? Why the closed minds? Why the fury and intolerance of those who believe?

As faster than light speed is perhaps found.

Please respond and not react to this question.

+13 more 
posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mandroids

None of what you have said is true. I have not noticed an increase in atheistic anger (I don't see them as being angry at all actually), nor do I consider their arguments to be 'stock answers' having no substance.

I do, however, see how religious institutions attempt to influence government decisions, and can completely understand the ire of those people who do not want religious influence within our governments. That is THEIR choice, why do you attack it?
edit on 24/9/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
i beleive there are people from both sides that can be aggressive when it comes to this debate. and posting threads like 'the sun is setting on athiesm' although subtle, can provoke some aggression. so i wouldnt put the blame on just one side

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I am neither atheist or dogmatic follower of the abrahamic traditions. I take it that when you refer to "religion" that is what you mean. The islamojudaichristian traditions?

But rather I am her just to offer a general answer to the question you pose.

Perhaps their revulsion and eagerness t dismiss religious ideology is borne out of the gut feeling one gets when faced with attempts to be indoctrinated into to a group that is responsible for more deaths in the most horrific manner performed in their name than all of the known natural diseases including influenza and bubonic plague put together, and yet spout peace love and harmony.

I can see how it can bring the bile to the back of ones throat.

Just a thought!

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
What setting sun are you referring to in the title.

Curious 2nd line.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

nor do I consider their arguments to be 'stock answers' having no substance.

most answers athiests give have become 'stock answers' because most creationists use 'stock questions', if you get asked the same question over and over again the answer isnt going to magically change lol

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   

if there is any increase in anger (which i dont think there is)
its because people are getting fed up, many of us think were past the primitive idea of believing in something for no reason other than someone told you to.
you couldnt understand unless your saw it from our perspective.
when you realise what we do, its painful to see you theists do what you do to yourselfs and others

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
...because organized religion has a rich history of tolerance.

Pot. Kettle. Kettle. Pot.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

I am not vocal or angry about not believing in fairy tales any more. As is the case with my children - I have no problem with them believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy... same goes for you and your belief in fairy tales.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Well, at least atheism can only get angry at one concept, perhaps often with a tinge of how they were raised in a specific culture.

But generally religious people have to prove their "memeplex" is the best in the religious supermarket.
They have to disprove and discount all the other religions too.
So religion is always chauvinism.

But an atheist in India is the same as an atheist in the US.
A religious person in India is very likely to be a Hindu.
Religious people in the US are very much identified with evangelical Christianity.
Many people in India are very thin.
Many people in America are very fat.
Many forms of Christianity would say Hindus worship demons, especially the US evangelicals.
Hindus would say that Christian culture has degenerated into a cruel and materialistic animal culture, and there is no real practice or teaching.
So religion has a facade of peace, but it is fake.

There can be tolerance, but I doubt anyone considers it equality.

So religious people must hate a lot more than any atheist.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   

If the sun is setting on a small minority group like atheists, why do you care what they have to say? Why does it bother you? Maybe their words make you question the brainwashing that religion has done to you and you dont like it. But don't worry if the sun is setting on atheists you wont have to hear our voices and you can live in the religious theocracy you so obviously desire.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
You dont get Atheists posting things like

"Dear religious Believers: As your sun is setting.

Rest my case!!!!!

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaveNorris

most answers athiests give have become 'stock answers' because most creationists use 'stock questions', if you get asked the same question over and over again the answer isnt going to magically change lol

What was it that Einstein said? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result?

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
exactly, and if by chance you get one different result out of thousands of trys it doesnt costitute a change in the answer

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

As faster than light speed is perhaps found.

Yet that is the great thing about science. It can be challenged and new and better understandings of the world can be attained. If a new theory is created it has to go under rigorous testing thousands upon thousands of times to test the results, bringing new information to human discovery.

With religion you just say , well "God did it", and thats the end of the story

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by mandroids
I have a question for you: Why are you so vocal and angry at the moment? We have books, lecture tours and posts on here that could best be described as a passive aggressive [and sometimes not so passive]. What fuels that I wonder?

Perhaps it's the fact that religion and religious wars threaten the very existence of our species...

Or maybe that religious zealots find it necessary to tell everyone how to live their lives...

Or maybe that those same zealots tell different groups that god will judge them on their actions/lifestyles.

Maybe it's that Atheists and non-religious folk were killed for hundreds of years just for not believing the same BS fairy tales that most people did.

Maybe it's just that atheists are sick and tired of religious crap and have also decided to have a voice and fight fire with fire.

It could be any or none of things.... some food for thought though.

There's no sun setting on Atheism...... religion is dying, popularity is down, religious rights being eroded..... things are looking rosy.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I'm an atheist and one of my main tenants is tolerance. Please don't stereotype. That's offensive.

2nd.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
“People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.”
(Dave Barry)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I wonder if there is a place for an exploratory kind of spirituality in all that.

I don't really consider myself an an atheist as much as a skeptical believer.

But is this even an option?
Shouldn't a believer not be 100% faithful every minute of every day?
If not, then are there moments of salvation and non-salvation?

Nevertheless, I do find myself siding with Richard Dawkins for example, when people try and pass superstitious claims as "common knowledge".
For example, I'm gay and although I can't remember being born, I think I have been gay since my earliest memories of attraction, and I certainly never chose to be this way.
Now various religious people will try to convince me that it's chosen and can all be cured, and it's almost like an inter-religious race to cure homosexuality.
But that's all quite a recent focus of religions on certain verses and traditions.
It's almost like religion wants to present itself as a new science or judiciary.
I think religion, science and judiciary are all about control and also mind control, and each one always wants to rule over the others.

Here Dawkins replies very succinctly to a religious homophobe:
In this instance I find him strangely Christ-like.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I am agnostic and have been for many years. All I have to do is look around me everyday and I realize there is something greater than I in the Universe. My question is "What form does this higher power take?".

To the OP, I also find myself getting more angry everyday, why, you ask. It is because every time I turn around, I have some religious zealot (mostly Christian in my part of the world) trying to shove their beliefs, their ideas, and their god down my throat. The religious zealots cannot go off and live their lives without demanding that everyone else live their lives as the religious zealots do. The scariest part for me, is that they want to pass laws to force me to live the way they believe. Living in a theocracy is about as far from freedom as you can get, however, they will tell you that god will bring you freedom after you die, sound familiar, think slavery in the USA, and the lives that people live in Iran.

I can only speak for myself, but in talking with others, many feel the same way. If you choose to believe, then by all means, believe. However allow me the choice to not believe, and leave me the hell alone.
edit on 9/24/2011 by BubbaJoe because: Had an additional thought.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join