It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virus kills breast cancer cells in laboratory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

A nondisease-causing virus kills human breast cancer cells in the laboratory,

creating opportunities for potential new cancer therapies, according to Penn State College of Medicine researchers who tested the virus on three different breast cancer types that represent the multiple stages of breast cancer development.

Adeno-associated virus type 2 (AAV2) is a virus that regularly infects humans but causes no disease. Past studies by the same researchers show that it promotes tumor cell death in cervical cancer cells infected with human papillomavirus. Researchers used an unaltered, naturally occurring version of AAV2 on human breast cancer cells.

"We can see the virus is killing the cancer cells, but how is it doing it?" Alam said. "If we can determine which viral genes are being used, we may be able to introduce those genes into a therapeutic. If we can determine which pathways the virus is triggering, we can then screen new drugs that target those pathways. Or we may simply be able to use the virus itself."

Research needs to be completed to learn how AAV2 is killing cancer cells and which of its proteins are activating the death pathways.

AAV2 does not affect healthy cells. However, if AAV2 were used in humans, the potential exists that the body's immune system would fight to remove it from the body. Therefore, by learning how AAV2 targets the death pathways, researchers potentially can find ways to treat the cancer without using the actual virus.

More good news, wont be long before cancer is dead
virus-breast-cancer-cells-laboratory

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

Thanks for reporting this finding.

While no females in my family have yet suffered from breast cancer, I know plenty who do/have...plus the implications of the potential of this virus seem to extend beyond just cancer of the breast.

Look forward to the mice test results.

If it is promising, hopefully it won't get swept under the rug by big pharma.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

funny how the drug companies NEED to turn it into a pill.....

nature Gave us the answer.. infect a cancer patient with this VIRUS.. and cure them..

but you cant patent a virus..can-yahh?

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by BurningSpearess

Its not just women that can suffer from breast cancer,

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

100 percent of the cancer cells are destroyed by the virus within seven days, with the majority of the cell death proteins activated on the fifth day.

In another study, a fourth breast cancer derived cell line, which is the most aggressive, required three weeks to undergo cell death

According to Meyers, the cellular myc gene seems to be involved. While usually associated with cell proliferation, myc is a protein also known to promote cell death

In ongoing studies, the Penn State researchers have also shown AAV2 can kill cells derived from prostate cancer, methoselioma, squamous cell carcinoma, and melanoma

Even better news: they may be able to apply this solution in the future to cancer in the form of prostate cancer, methoselioma, squamous cell carcinoma, and melanoma

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
s&f to get the news out there!
As great news for women, men and families alike and if further brought to the front in importance. Further more by the lessened greed of big pharma, only then lives will truly be saved.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Why in HELL would anyone want anybody to "bring this to market"?!?

"...adeno-associated virus type 2 (AAV2), is naturally occurring and carried by up to 80 percent of humans, but it does not cause any disease."

Point being - we have it; it's already circulating.

How 'bout everyone just recognize that we are designed to function and flourish in this world as it is? Maybe stop with the germophobia and uber-hygeine. Lose the antibacterial soap. Get dirty, share a few germs and live in molecular harmony. Live cancer free.

Maybe clean up all the crud, synthetic chemicals, GE products that are contaminating our world and causing cancer. No point curing anything if we're just going to be re-infected.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
This will never see the light of day. There's too much money to be made in "treating" cancer instead of eliminating it from the planet completely.

Brought to you by the same compassionate folks that are causing the "drug shortage" of meds for cancer patients.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatislave
This will never see the light of day. There's too much money to be made in "treating" cancer instead of eliminating it from the planet completely.

Brought to you by the same compassionate folks that are causing the "drug shortage" of meds for cancer patients.

Yes, I'll be surprised if we hear more about this cure in the future. These cures have a way of coming to light, then never being heard about again. From things like curing cancer to growing new teeth or limbs - it's obvious enough by now that these advancements are being purposefully withheld by those who want to do nothing but gain money from others' misery.

Worshiping of the golden idol is alive and well today, now more than ever.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
This made me think about the last time i had bronchitis.
Laying in bed feeling bad wondering lord why me?

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Wow this is really great and I am glad many women who suffer from breast cancer can live a better life now. But idk why when I hear "cure for cancer" I think of I am Legend and some "cure" turning everyone into zombies. Hopefully this cure won't do such thing like that.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

However, if AAV2 were used in humans, the potential exists that the body's immune system would fight to remove it from the body.

You should read the whole article next time

Therefore, by learning how AAV2 targets the death pathways, researchers potentially can find ways to treat the cancer without using the actual virus.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Stuff like this is amazing. Hopefully they can keep at it and look at how to get rid of the other forms of Cancer as well.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Its not just women that can suffer from breast cancer

I didn't mean to imply that; I was speaking to prevalences....

In fact, I have an older male relative (an uncle) who is in late-stage with skin, breast, lung, and lymph node at this time...

I didn't want to ramble in my OP to your thread, but my intention was not to mis-inform, and I am sorry if you took it that way.

Yes, Men have breast tissue and it can definitely be invaded with cancer.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

My point is that we have evolved to work around NOT "fight" cancer and all kinds of diseases - but our way of life interferes with natural processes and totally stresses our immune and other systems. ...Making more chemicals just continues the assaults.

You refer to the source text:

if AAV2 were used in humans, the potential exists that the body's immune system would fight to remove it from the body.

...by learning how AAV2 targets the death pathways, researchers potentially can find ways to treat the cancer without using the actual virus.

...and prove that you totally missed the point.

top topics

join