It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autopsy: Woman died from shot fired by deputy

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5

BTW... If you in a stolen car with an escaped prisoner, your NOT innocent.

How about the high speed chase ? Guess she is innocent of that also. Who cares she put law abiding citizens lives in danger. Its the polices fault in that one also,right?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by Xcathdra

He had an avenue to escape, but what I'm really interested in now was my other question.

Is it ok that he shot at the car even though there was an innocent passenger that could have been killed?

Yes, because as ive stated before its totality of circumstances. If a person in the car is hit and killed, and is not the suspect, its till going to fall under the legal argument that the person was with a person who violted the law to that extent.

If we are engaged in a vehicle pursuit where more than one person is in the car, we will treat all people in the car as potential threats until we can secure everyone and figure out exactly what was going on. Obviously we cant do that during the pursuit, so it goes back to the odl adage about choosing your friends wisely.

If you are with a person who has warrants for their arrest for felonies, chances are you are going to know about them. If you know about them, and give that person money, a ride, food, you are harboring a fugitive, hindering prosecution, obstruction, assisting in unlawful flight to avoid prosecution if you cross state lines etc.

Logic would tell you not to get involved with them in the first place. However, people can choose their friends regardless, and if they have one who is in legal trouble, then that person is not much of a friend to place them into a position of being shot at or involved with law enforcement now is it?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by snarfbot

In uniform, telling you to stop, right next to you, and the person doesnt comply, and runs over the deputy in the process. .

She knew what she was doing.

edit - removed partial sentence from a differen post.
edit on 17-9-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Originally posted by defcon5

BTW... If you in a stolen car with an escaped prisoner, your NOT innocent.

How about the high speed chase ? Guess she is innocent of that also. Who cares she put law abiding citizens lives in danger. Its the polices fault in that one also,right?

I think you 2 are saying the same thing and making the same argument.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
dbl post
edit on 17-9-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

If you had a bullet in your body you would drive pretty fast too. So that high speed chase (that the cops lost her on?) that ended at a hospital can be discounted.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

In uniform, telling you to stop, right next to you, and the person doesnt comply, and runs over the deputy in the process. As I said, its not the highway and the speeds arent high.

According to those on here defending her,she has all the rights in the world to be a felon,not face consequences,drive a stolen vehicle,assault LEO's,put other peoples lives in danger,including her passengers. In the end,its the Officers fault for shooting at her,AFTER she hit him with the vehicle. Got it.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

In uniform, telling you to stop, right next to you, and the person doesnt comply, and runs over the deputy in the process. As I said, its not the highway and the speeds arent high.

and that is adequate justification for taking a persons life? not in america.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

That is absurd!! The passenger could have been anyone. A child. A hostage. You can't just say "well they shouldn't have been in the car with someone that did that." This is the argument I was looking for to show me that you would agree with anyone a cop does without giving it a second thought. Of course it's not ok, that wasn't even a real question.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

reply to post by sonnny1

If you had a bullet in your body you would drive pretty fast too. So that high speed chase (that the cops lost her on?) that ended at a hospital can be discounted.

If the primary pursuing vehicle looses visual contact with the car he/she is chasing, we ae required by law to discontinue the pursuit. A supreme Court ruling in order to protect the public form idiots who wont stop for the cops. The only exceptions will involve jurisdictional change or if aircraft are in use.

Secondly, if I had a bullet in me I would stop and wait for help. Going all the way back though, I would nmever have made the decision to run over a cop, which is why the shooting occured in the first place.

All she neded to do was comply - She chose not to. She chose to take the action that resulted inher being shot.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Not to mention that X is the only person apparently that knows that the cop ordered her to stop. I haven't read that anywhere.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarfbot

and that is adequate justification for taking a persons life? not in america.

Actually yes, in America it can be, since its qualified as a felony assault on emergency personell. Not sure how else I cna explain this to you, or even if its worth it since you seem to be doing the same as the other poster, which is using your opinion based on lack of knowledge to make an argument.

You and he would be wrong...

Just like a person who is walking in an agresive manner towards a cop with a knife or baseball bat. The cop is justified in drawing their weapon and ordering the person to stop. If the person doesnt stop, the officer can defend themselves by shooting to stop the threat, as was done in this case.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

According to those on here defending her,she has all the rights in the world to be a felon,not face consequences,drive a stolen vehicle,assault LEO's,put other peoples lives in danger,including her passengers. In the end,its the Officers fault for shooting at her,AFTER she hit him with the vehicle. Got it.

so they can charge her with the crimes then, and try her in a court. police arent judge jury and executioner.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

reply to post by sonnny1

WOW!!

Took her 3 hours to get help? You do know the police stopped chasing her.right? Cant wait to find out how long the high speed chase was. Yeah,I guess sitting in the parking lot of the hospital,is a better place to get help,then the front doors of the emergency doors..........
This women could do NO wrong according to you......

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

If you had a bullet in you and were bleeding to death (she died very shortly after) and could black out or just plain die anytime and you are driving, rather than get yourself to a hospital as fast as possible, you would pull over and wait for help?

link   

Originally posted by snarfbot

so they can charge her with the crimes then, and try her in a court. police arent judge jury and executioner.

And all she had to do was stop. Just remember that.

link   

That is absurd!! The passenger could have been anyone. A child. A hostage. You can't just say "well they shouldn't have been in the car with someone that did that." This is the argument I was looking for to show me that you would agree with anyone a cop does without giving it a second thought. Of course it's not ok, that wasn't even a real question.

Absurd... I think the absurd part would be to engage in behavior with law enforcement in such a manner to create a deadly force encounter with innocent people with you.

Going back to your argument earlier, the cops cant possibly know the people in the car now can they?

We do our best to preseve life, however you will find occasions where its not possible. Its tragic, and occurs way to often, and criminals should consider that before going on their 7 state shooting spree because by God they arent going back to jail.

The suspect placed her passenger in danger, not the cops.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Again.. exactly what I said. I never said she was in the right. I said the cop was in the wrong.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

I'll use your logic then. The woman was a felon, she didn't care to put her passenger in danger. Therefore it is the cops responsibility to protect that citizen. This you cannot deny with any argument. Every hostage situation has proven this.

We do our best to preseve life, however you will find occasions where its not possible.

This is a situation where it was absolutely possible (actually probable) that life could be preserved. Actually there is no reason it shouldnt have been. I'm about done though because you can't see that for some reason.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Just like a person who is walking in an agresive manner towards a cop with a knife or baseball bat. The cop is justified in drawing their weapon and ordering the person to stop. If the person doesnt stop, the officer can defend themselves by shooting to stop the threat, as was done in this case.

that is completely different. he fired a weapon at a car that was driving away from him. i dont understand how you can seriously think that is acceptable behavior.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join