It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar flare could unleash nuclear holocaust across planet Earth, forcing hundreds of nuclear power

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
This is very interesting for read, this possibly scenario is the biggest nightmare ..

Hope they are prepare for this "events" ..

Source

Every nuclear power plant operates in a near-meltdown state

All nuclear power plants are operated in a near-meltdown status. They operate at very high heat, relying on nuclear fission to boil water that produces steam to drive the turbines that generate electricity. Critically, the nuclear fuel is prevented from melting down through the steady circulation of coolants which are pushed through the cooling system using very high powered electric pumps.
If you stop the electric pumps, the coolant stops flowing and the fuel rods go critical (and then melt down). This is what happened in Fukushima, where the melted fuel rods dropped through the concrete floor of the containment vessels, unleashing enormous quantities of ionizing radiation into the surrounding environment. The full extent of the Fukushima contamination is not even known yet, as the facility is still emitting radiation.
It's crucial to understand that nuclear coolant pumps are usually driven by power from the electrical grid. They are not normally driven by power generated locally from the nuclear power plant itself. Instead, they're connected to the grid. In other words, even though nuclear power plants are generating megawatts of electricity for the grid, they are also dependant on the grid to run their own coolant pumps.
If the grid goes down, the coolant pumps go down, too, which is why they are quickly switched to emergency backup power -- either generators or batteries. As we learned with Fukushima, the on-site batteries can only drive the coolant pumps for around eight hours. After that, the nuclear facility is dependent on diesel generators (or sometimes propane) to run the pumps that circulate the coolant which prevents the whole site from going Chernobyl. And yet, critically, this depends on something rather obvious:

The delivery of diesel fuel to the site. If diesel cannot be delivered, the generators can't be fired up and the coolant can't be circulated. When you grasp the importance of this supply line dependency, you will instantly understand why a single solar flare could unleash a nuclear holocaust across the planet. When the generators fail and the coolant pumps stop pumping, nuclear fuel rods begin to melt through their containment rods, unleashing ungodly amounts of life-destroying radiation directly into the atmosphere. This is precisely why Japanese engineers worked so hard to reconnect the local power grid to the Fukushima facility after the tidal wave -- they needed to bring power back to the generators to run the pumps that circulate the coolant. This effort failed, of course, which is why Fukushima became such a nuclear disaster and released countless becquerels of radiation into the environment (with no end in sight).
And yet, despite the destruction we've already seen with Fukushima, U.S. nuclear power plants are nowhere near being prepared to handle sustained power grid failures. As IBtimes reports: "Last month, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission said U.S. plants affected by a blackout should be able to cope without electricity for at least eight hours and should have procedures to keep the reactor and spent-fuel pool cool for 72 hours. Nuclear plants depend on standby batteries and backup diesel generators.
Most standby power systems would continue to function after a severe solar storm, but supplying the standby power systems with adequate fuel, when the main power grids are offline for years, could become a very critical problem. If the spent fuel rod pools at the country's 104 nuclear power plants lose their connection to the power grid, the current regulations aren't sufficient to guarantee those pools won't boil over -- exposing the hot, zirconium-clad rods and sparking fires that would release deadly radiation." (www.ibtimes.com...)
Now, what does all this have to do with solar flares?

How the end of modern civilization will most likely occur

As any sufficiently informed scientist will readily admit, solar flares have the potential to blow out the transformers throughout the national power grid. That's because solar flares induce geomagnetic currents (powerful electromagnetic impulses) which overload the transformers and cause them to explode.
You've probably witnessed this yourself during a lightning storm when lightning unleashes a powerful electromagnetic pulse that causes a local transformer to explode. Solar flares do the same thing on a much larger scale. A global scale, in fact. The upshot of this situation is that suddenly and without warning, the power grid infrastructure across nearly the entire planet could be destroyed.
As a bonus, nearly all satellites will be fried, too, leaving GPS inoperable and causing millions of clueless drivers to become forever lost in their own neighborhoods because they never paid attention to the streets and always relied on a GPS voice to tell them, "In fifty feet, turn right." Communications satellites will be obliterated, too. This, of course, will halt nearly all news propaganda distribution across the planet, causing tens of thousands of people to instantly die out of the sheer fear of suddenly having to think for themselves.
As another bonus, nearly all mobile phone service will be disrupted, too, meaning all the teenage text junkies of the world will, for the first time in their lives, be forced to lay down their iPhones and interact with real people in the real world. But the real kicker in all this is that the power grid will be destroyed nearly everywhere.

What happens when there's no electricity?

Imagine a world without electricity. Even for just a week. Imagine New York City with no electricity, or Los Angeles, or Sao Paulo. Within 72 hours, most cities around the world will devolve into total chaos, complete with looting, violent crime, and runaway fires. And if you think you can just drive away from the chaos, think again: The solar flare will fry all automobiles that rely on ignition electronics, which means probably 98% of the vehicles on the road today will be instantly rendered scrap metal (or plastic, as it turns out). But that's not even the bad news.
Even if all the major cities of the world burned to the ground for some other reason, humanity could still recover because it has the farmlands: the soils, the seeds, and the potential to recover, right? And yet the real crisis here stems from the realization that once there is no power grid, all the nuclear power plants of the world suddenly go into "emergency mode" and are forced to rely on their on-site emergency power backups to circulate coolants and prevent nuclear meltdowns from occurring.
And yet, as we've already established, these facilities typically have only a few hours of battery power available, followed by perhaps a few days worth of diesel fuel to run their generators (or propane, in some cases). Did I also mention that half the people who work at nuclear power facilities have no idea what they're doing in the first place? Most of the veterans who really know the facilities inside and out have been forced into retirement due to reaching their lifetime limits of on-the-job radiation exposure, so most of the workers at nuclear facilities right now are newbies who really have no clue what they're doing.
There are 440 nuclear power plants operating across 30 countries around the world today. There are an additional 250 so-called "research reactors" in existence, making a total of roughly 700 nuclear reactors to be dealt with (www.world-nuclear.org...).
Now imagine the scenario: You've got a massive solar flare that knocks out the world power grid and destroys the majority of the power grid transformers, thrusting the world into darkness. Cities collapse into chaos and rioting, martial law is quickly declared (but it hardly matters), and every nation in the world is on full emergency. But that doesn't solve the really big problem, which is that you've got 700 nuclear reactors that can't feed power into the grid (because all the transformers are blown up) and yet simultaneously have to be fed a steady stream of emergency fuels to run the generators the keep the coolant pumps functioning. How long does the coolant need to circulate in these facilities to cool the nuclear fuel? Months. This is also the lesson of Fukushima: You can't cool nuclear fuel in mere hours or days. It takes months to bring these nuclear facilities to a state of cold shutdown.
And that means in order to avoid a multitude of Fukushima-style meltdowns from occurring around the world, you need to truck diesel fuel, generator parts and nuclear plant workers to every nuclear facility on the planet, ON TIME, every time, without fail, for months on end. Now remember, this must be done in the middle of the total chaos breakdown of modern civilization, where there is no power, where law enforcement and emergency services are totally overrun, where people are starving because food deliveries have been disrupted (all the vehicles got fried in the solar flare, remember?), and when looting and violent crime runs rampant in the streets of every major city in the world. Somehow, despite all this, you have to run these diesel fuel caravans to the nuclear power plants and keep the pumps running.

edit on 13-9-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
When you quote a large story from ssite like that you should also quote what they put at the end of each webpage;

"The information on this site is provided for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended as a substitute for professional advice of any kind." www.naturalnews.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
You know, I actually agree with the guy. None of you all would be able to survive without your electronics. LOL, I wouldn't be able to survive without my computer.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
It's pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain that nuke power is pure insanity, and to be honest, this is just the icing on the cake. I'd like to thank General Electric and its sycophant horde for retarding the development of the human race and poisoning the planet Earth. And a shoutout to all the shills who'll spout moronic stats how falling off a ladder is more dangerous than nuke power etc.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

Two things.

The first is that transformers have exploded at nuclear plants before, there are protocols in place for such an event (solar or otherwise).

Secondly, if there was a large earth directed CME, large enough to warrant the belief that transformers could be blown, all the power pants (nuclear or not) need to do is shut down before the geomagnetic storm hits.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull
When you quote a large story from ssite like that you should also quote what they put at the end of each webpage;

"The information on this site is provided for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended as a substitute for professional advice of any kind." www.naturalnews.com...

Smart and wise you watching all this info, if this only what you can say .. o0 ..

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I'm thinking the Amish would do okay for themselves, as would the smattering of peoples who live in self-sufficient communes across the globe.

The icing on the cake: No More War.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by Dalke07

Two things.

The first is that transformers have exploded at nuclear plants before, there are protocols in place for such an event (solar or otherwise).

Secondly, if there was a large earth directed CME, large enough to warrant the belief that transformers could be blown, all the power pants (nuclear or not) need to do is shut down before the geomagnetic storm hits.

I don't like this but nice to see how mach you trust to your government ..

The first one, what if many nuclear transformers explode at same time or lose electricity caused EQ and tsunamis like other natural extreme events ..
How mach time they can run on diesel generators .. lol
How mach time need to replace transformers or make new ones ..
Are you think we have peaceful weather in future .. lool
Are you think there is no possibility that most powerful geomagnetic storm or other emission we cant have from close galaxies or exploding stars, not only from Sun .. lo0l

Secondly, you think they close electricity from plant before the geomagnetic storm hits.. o0 ..
If they care for anything except extra profit they close them long time ago0 and replaced with clear source energy ..

Third one, we all worldwide depend off some governments and this is more terrible news ..
If you like that live safe with nuclear energy, but what about all population and all the beauty we have worldwide ..

The risk of that kind is unacceptable but you and more members support all time nuclear brotherhood rather than to force the government to change energy source ..

Germany, in Reversal, Will Close Nuclear Plants by 2022
www.nytimes.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

"Man, just because it's the theme song don't make it not true."

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   

reply to post by Dalke07

If there is an event (even if it is just a fake event) which are announced to public, and requires all nuclear plants to shut down, then it will be the sign of the end

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

I don't like this but nice to see how mach you trust to your government ..

If I'm not mistaken, nuclear power is typically privatized, therefore "trusting" the government has nothing to do with this.

The first one, what if many nuclear transformers explode at same time or lose electricity caused EQ and tsunamis like other natural extreme events ..
How mach time they can run on diesel generators .. lol

Many have gone at the same time before, often after a large spell of ice and snow.

Diesel generators can be run indefinitely, I lived in towns which were solely powered by diesel generators.

Secondly, you think they close electricity from plant before the geomagnetic storm hits.. o0 ..

Ah...yeah, I do.

It's where the smart money is at.

If they care for anything except extra profit they close them long time ago0 and replaced with clear source energy

Well taking the USA as an example, calls for nuclear power has reduced greatly compared to renewable energy.

Besides, you still need transformers regardless of the source of electricity.

Third one, we all worldwide depend of some government and this is more terrible news ..
If you like that live safe with nuclear energy, but what about all population and all the beauty we have worldwide ..
So the risk of that kind is unacceptable but you and more members support all time nuclear brotherhood ..
You selected very bad way..

Well there aren't very many "clean" energy sources, if any at all if you want to really split hairs....

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Something the OP overlooked (unless i didn't read closely) is the fact that nuclear reactors rely on coolant to keep the temperatures controllable, but the actual nuclear reaction is also controlled via "control rods" that, when dropped into the reactor, add so much graphite to the area that the nuclear reaction stops. I've explained this in detail in various fukishima threads.

Some plants, but not all, have a "gravity fail safe" meaning that when a loss of power occurs, the control rods drop into the reactor and stop the reaction. Others, stupidly, require hydrolics for this. THOSE are the plants to be concerned over.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Nice song but wrong way ..

In Japan we already have zombi apocalypse in long future and that was heartbreaking info ..

Is your song and I post only for you, change title of (Bon Scott) with (nuclear energy) ..

Planet Earth is living organism, decades constantly more extreme condition and if you have cancer is over any-kind of operation can not help ..

Personally, I am surprised how mach times Mother Earth endured with humanity like this kind and i want her to thank very ..

But we don't have more time .. officially ..

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   

reply to post by Dalke07

Two things.

Sometimes, I don't know if people like you are serious or if you are just F***ing with people.
Your comments are so frightfully ignorant I truely don't know where to begin.
I have a feeling that if I tried to take you to school on this you would just stamp your feet and refuse to listen so,......... I won't even bother.

edit on 13-9-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Please, by all means.

school me.

edit on 13/9/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dalke07

Originally posted by JohnySeagull

Smart and wise you watching all this info, if this only what you can say .. o0 ..

i'm afraid i cannot say anything, simply because information that needs a tagline like that cannot be trusted.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Not my job.
School yourself, I had to.
The points you raised are so obviously rediculous to everyone but you, there is no need to waste the time, effort, and energy. As long as YOUR thinking is in the minority I am happy. When your thinking becomes a majority then I'll get my hands dirty.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Ridiculous?

sigh...

I said:

My supporting evidence:

7/2/2011 Transformer explodes at Tricastin nuclear power plant in Southern France

A transformer of the power plant Tricastin, Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux (Drôme), exploded Saturday afternoon. The fire was quickly brought under control and the damage appears to no effect on the operation of the site.

Transformer Explodes at NY Nuke Plant; No One Hurt

A transformer exploded at the Indian Point nuclear power plant Sunday night, leading to an automatic emergency shutdown of one of its reactors, authorities said. No one was injured and no radioactive materials leaked.

I said:

My supporting evidence:

If the storm is expected to be severe enough, "the most dramatic action is to close down the entire grid," Pulkkinen said. "If the system is turned off, the extra DC currents alone won't harm the transformers."

news.nationalgeographic.com...

edit on 13/9/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
The points you raised are so obviously rediculous to everyone but you, there is no need to waste the time, effort, and energy.

No, not to everyone. They seemed pretty common sense to me....

So please, school me too. I'm keen to know how you think differently. Chadwickus asked you for your input, so please - tell us. You can't just poo-poo his post and NOT back up your claims that you know different with a cop out that it's "not your job".

If you're so "schooled" then please, tell us the truth.
edit on 13-9-2011 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

The first paragraph you are correct.

But the "No more war" is totally wrong. Maybe between nations but for the rest of humanity it will just be more up close and personal. And there will be lots of it as people try to survive through hook and crook. My educated guesstimate is it will take a minimum of two years to settle down from the beginning.

Another thing that people always seem to overlook is that most who are diabetic will be dead in a short time, as well as anyone who depends on medications to live. There will be more dead than living to bury them.

The world will stink to high heaven with funeral pyres and rotting flesh.

I for one do not look forward to that. But I believe that we would survive a a species. Hopefully remembering lessons learned as well.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join