It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Step Towards Total Control, Missouri College Announces Drug Testing For ENTIRE STUDENT BODY

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
From Linn College own page, it describes the drug testing and the policy.

mylstc.linnstate.edu...

A = Linn State Technical College will begin a drug screening program for students who are newly classified as degree or certificate seeking at the Linn State Technical College Campus or any Linn State Technical College location and degree or certificate seeking students returning after one or more semesters of non-enrollment. Drug screening will be conducted 5 to 10 days after the semester starts. Refusal to screen will result in an administrative or student-initiated withdrawal. Those students whose drug screen is positive will not be withdrawn from the college, but will have a period of approximately 45 days to rescreen and test negative to remain enrolled.

Refusal to COMPLY? OUT!

Did you get that?

Refusal to COMPLY? OUT!!

However, JUNKY? Please, stay, use your smartphone, order that fake pee, come back in 45 days, test clean and you are GOOD TO KEEP DRUGGING IT UP!!!!

A= No, an initial positive result will not exclude students from LSTC. They will be placed on probation, and depending on the drug detected, they will be required to complete either an online educational program at the student’s cost of $35 or assigned to complete appropriate activities. Students will have an approximate 45 day “grace period” to re-screen. A second positive result will result in a student initiated withdrawal or an administrative withdrawal from LSTC.

Oh, what is this? Another financial incentive for the college to oppress its students?

This policy it is very clear, has nothing to do with safety, and all to do with money.

One of the questions was should I report any legitimate prescriptions I use?

The answer,

A = No. If you have a positive result the Medical Review Officer will contact you directly for a legitimate medical explanation for the drugs detected in the screening.

Wow, now the college has a reason to be inside your medical file!!

Do we follow? Do we follow??

I would resent the hell out of any place that wanted into my medical history or medical present just to be educated.

NO THANKS.

$50 x 1200 students =$ 60000.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I realize many of us had the same questions, so I emailed the college to clarify a couple points.

Here is what I sent:

I have some questions about the drug testing policy.

One, are the staff being tested as well as students?

Two, what is the name of the Lab conducting the tests?

Thank you,

This will be interesting to hear.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
This is illegal and a violation of privacy. Total violation of the 4rth admendment

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ltinycdancerg
How is this legal?
I can see the college bulls*ting its way through legal loopholes for future students- i.e. applicants/potential students being aware that in order to attend this school, they must submit to drug testing.
But for current students who did not 'sign up for this', surely this a GROSS violation of privacy and rights.
Universities/Colleges/Schools in general, have NO RIGHT to intervene in such issues- and why would they want to?!?! It's bewildering to me!
I hope the students file a class-action lawsuit against these fascist admins- they should be ashamed of themselves!!!

It is only a 2-year school, and they have been warning the students for over a year. It is no surprise. Also, participation at the University Level is entirely voluntary. They VOLUNTARILY agree to this when they enroll in classes. It is not a violation of rights or privacy, because they can easily just say no, and attend another school.

Also, the school apparently researched this quite a bit, and involved 100's of local businesses in their research to decide if the benefits would outweigh the detractions, and apparently the decided it would.

Think about this. Some kid spends $25,000 on a degree in Aviation Maintenance, only to find out that he can't pass a drug test and get a job? So, while working as a waiter, he constantly falls off the wagon, can't get straight, and has to incur his own costs to get counseling, or give up his dream of working in that field. OR, by comparison, the school tests him, gives him counseling, helps him either get clean earlier, or stop wasting time in a career that he will never be employed in. Sounds like a good thing to me.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
about damn time those druggies need to be tested and thrown out
here is an idea DONT do DRUGS

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Apparently some of the posters on here don't have jobs? I've had to take a pee test for every job that I've had for the last ten years.

Grow up.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I can't believe the very basic and easy idea that the "War on Drugs" is REALLY, the War on Civil Liberties, has escaped so many of the posters. Always has been, always will be. The US Government now admits to growing and shipping in the drugs! Wake up. I imagine some are just shills. But any sentient, realize, it's not about the drugs. Why do you ignore the obvious?

Look at what they do, not what they say!
edit on 9-9-2011 by thejlxc because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

"The reasoning the college bigwigs use to test ALL the students is the SAFETY of a FEW". To quote your post.

Yes, that is usually the reason behind any safety measure taken. And yes, being a past college student(albeit far in the past) I have to agree with the college. Not everyone is out to collect your DNA. I live very close to Linn State, and know what thier curriculim is, and the types of machinery they work with, how would you feel if the mechanic who worked on your plane right before it took off had spent most of his airplane repair class high on whatever drug he could get ahold of- Would you feel safe? Just how good would the maintnence be if he couldnt remember half the class Coursework?
I can honestly say I wouldnt want him working on a plane I was going to be thousands of feet in the air in, in a few hours-How about you?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by thejlxc

Two different arguments.

I agree the "war on drugs" is ridiculous, as are the drug laws.. I would love to see the majority of them repealed.

However, a University doing something like this, to prepare someone for the workplace, is not part of the war on drugs, it is just part of the war on unemployment!

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

...is the college a charity not-for-profit institution?... no... they are paid to educate, not to placate those who are too immature to stop using drugs...

Yes..they are paid to educate, and students have a right to know if they are educating under the influence of drugs.

...unless you're a very generous benefactor, their board of directors doesnt give a damn about what you think they should require of their faculty... thats the way it goes in the real world...

So I guess you're saying the real world is unfair, and bias.. and the best thing to do is just accept that?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

I can honestly say I wouldnt want him working on a plane I was going to be thousands of feet in the air in, in a few hours-How about you?
reply to post by Rossa

I understand your point.. but maybe all the engineers , and mechanics already working on planes should be tested as well?

You really think that by ensuring that these students are not taking drugs.. (which a pee test won't ensure anyhow), means that after they get into the real world, and start pulling in the bucks that they aren't going to be snorting coke?

I heard engineers say that most of the engineers in their plants were doing coke...as it is a mind enhancement drug, and keeps you alert for those long hours of testing, and putting together prototypes.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

Originally posted by 547000
Good.

Catch the junkies early.

Riiiiiiiight
... because college grads are well known to become junkies....

Hot tip, junkies don't make it to college. Hell, most don't make it past high school, since its in high school where they're usually introduced to hard drugs. Guess what drugs the kids today are all on? Prescription drugs, and where I am from, heroine, which is in the same category as most prescription drugs (aka opiates)

I hope this college fails and is forced to close down due to lack of attendance.

edit on 9-9-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

I support this college's attempt to be a drug-free campus.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011
reply to post by 547000

You could also argue that people cannot afford not to have a job too but drug tests still apply whether you like it or not. Employers don't have to take it either.

The difference is you are NOT paying your employer to work for him.

Like a previous poster said... if they are really concerned about safety ,and people learning their information correctly....why let them drink, and come to school hungover ?

I'm pretty sure the students signed an agreement that allows the college to enforce a policy like this.
edit on 9-9-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I don't think it is fair to say that you 'volunteer when you enroll' because it might be the only college you can get into or be able to AFFORD.

I think it's stupid. If they are drugged up, and making bad grades, they will flunk out.

I guess they might not want people to realize that people that do drugs can make GREAT grades? And maybe they are not as 'dysfunctional' as they would like everyone to believe that 'junkies' are?

and why this assumption that everyone that goes to school there will go to work for the man?

Back to the big question NO one likes to answer - What is the purpose of education?

Is college now an extension of a school system that is solely designed to prepare people to work for someone else?

Let's see them try this at Harvard or Yale.
edit on 9-9-2011 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

I support this college's attempt to be a drug-free campus.

Thats cool..and understandable..then you won't have a problem if the students want a drug test for the faculty as well.

I support a drug free government administration ..lets have everyone who's wages come from the tax dollar drug tested.

If they want to test welfare recipients for drugs..why won't they test the lawyers , judges, presidents,and congressmen? and thats just a few. There are some people making some very good cash out there.. for cushy admin jobs.. and they use drugs..hire prostitutes..

After all they are employees of the tax payers...correct?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

Is college now an extension of a school system that is solely designed to prepare people to work for someone else? Let's see them try this at Harvard or Yale.

well put...

But you see it doesn't matter if the future presidents and congressmen, are taking drugs while learning . They will only be making important decisions that will affect millions... not building airplanes.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

No problem, but the school's administrator's make the rules about the binding agreement and they decided students should be checked and not faculty. Wouldn't mind if they checked the faculty. In fact they should do so if the faculty member's political leaning is liberal as they'll catch many drug users.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

No problem, but the school's administrator's make the rules about the binding agreement and they decided students should be checked and not faculty. Wouldn't mind if they checked the faculty. In fact they should do so if the faculty member's political leaning is liberal as they'll catch many drug users.

Only if they are liberal.. ? Wonder what would show up if we could go back and test every president there ever was for all kinds of drugs... would you be shocked if they could prove some republican presidents were indeed heroin and coc aine users?

The fact that you would single out liberals is pretty bias...

And yes..it seems that it is always the "administration" that makes the rules... but they are above them..

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Good Gods, please ease up on the vindictiveness. *friendly fire* It is pointed out in several following posts that my response was sarcastic/full of satire. I thought it was obvious, but apparently not. Shame one has to use the
smiley instead of allowing others who don't pick up on it immediately to practice critical thinking, but hey I'm new here. (and this is the internet... so my bad, I guess.)
But I really do wholly and truly believe that anyone who has ever tried an illicit substance at any juncture in their life has not graduated university and that kids are applying for uni simply for the opportunity to abuse IV drugs.
and for good measure:

"that last line is so wrong it's hilarious" - That was the point
Anywho, I don't mean to rag...I totally agree with your response, an awful lot of pivotal, important and influential people have experimented w/ mind-expansion. Many beneficial ideas/inventions/music/etc. can be attributed/inspired from such mind-expansion as well.

So the tests involve urinalysis rather than a blood test. Does that give an advantage to any of the potential offenders? Probably not - is it that evidence would be found in the urine much longer than it would be traced in the bloodstream? I was thinking if it were a blood test, depending on the substance... one would simply abstain for 24 or 42 hours or something of the like, rendering the tests less indicative of what's really going on.
edit on 9-9-2011 by BernardShakey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadlyrhythm
reply to post by 547000

yep. great attitude, man. catch the "junkies", and let the others go back to their apartments and drink til they drop.

so hypocritical.

Catch the drunks too.

you can't catch drunks cause its apparently legal to kill yourself through alcohol consumption

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join