It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Canadians uncool? New poll says yes.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I am a proud Canadian and don't really care what that poll says! I travel to the US many times per year due to the warmer weather and cheaper items, and am always complimented on how polite "us Canadians are".

I have been told that I don't "sound" Canadian, but more mid-Western....not really sure what that means as I live in Alberta which happens to be in the Western part of Canada.

I LOVE the Canadian misconceptions that are out there....I've been asked funny and sometimes stupid questions as to what we do and don't have "up there in Canada". I've been asked where Canada is and if we know what pizza is....my family and I are used to this and now play along with some of the questions. My absolute favorite question is "Oh you are Canadian? Do you know Bob? He lives in Toronto!". My response is now based on a famous Canadian beer commercial..."Oh you mean office Bob? Yes I knew him...he's dead now!"

Anyways, back to the opening post....Canadians are cool and we do have our own identity. Yes we are generally polite, are able to live in cold, harsh conditions, and accept diversity. We have two national languages, know what a toque is, and invented the double double. So there!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Is anyone familiar with Donnie Dumphy?

This guy's character is a scumbag but as far as being funnyish cool - I think he is the bees knees!

www.youtube.com...

I always get scared thinking of how cold the shores up there must be where he lives, and I don't live in the tropics.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Brit emigrated to Canada in 2005...get over it...close the door on the way out....

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
This thread is somewhat related to a thread on here earlier last week by Vitchilo.

Canadians’ attitude toward U.S. shifts from envy to sympathy, poll shows

Well, seems there is a new poll out !

Are Canadians uncool? New poll says yes

It pretty much says that 15 countries found Canada to be uncool...I should take offense to that, being Canadian and all EH? Anyways here is some of the article.

It's almost become a national sport in Canada to fret about how the world, particularly Americans, view the great white North. A new poll from social-networking site Badoo has some bad news for image-conscious Canadians: the results say the world ranks us among the least-cool nationalities. The poll asked 30,000 people in 15 countries to name the coolest nationality. Perhaps to no one's surprise, Americans came in at number one, followed by Brazilians and Spaniards. Canada, however, ranked among the least-cool nationalities, ranking fourth on that list behind the Belgians, Poles and Turks.

I can admit us Canadians hold our noses up high. I do it for fun. I guess I am kind of an instigator and it really irritates my American and British friends

I always get a kick out of Canada jokes, a lot of them are really funny. This study is interesting, and I am kind of surprised of the results. Next time I travel I will make sure to put on my Canada flag patch on my back pack and drink lots of beer and be really obnoxious

U2U me if you're a Canadian and are down to set up a road trip to those 15 countries to show them how cool Canadians really are! LOL JK, with all the crap going around the world, I am perfectly fine remaining uncool in Canada

Ya Ya sound like just a other american pole new flavor of the week

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tasty Canadian
Against my better judgment, I'm going to feed the trolls. Here's a nice buffet for ya, eh!!

Some things that are really cool and unique in or about Canada:

Canadian Food like:
- Timbits (we will not tell you what they are, if you don't know!).
- Scrunchins (ditto)
- Bokkepootjes (ditto) ('borrowed' from the Dutch)
- Bugger-in-a-bag (ditto)
- Quebec yellow pea soup
- Montreal smoked meat and real Montreal bagels
- Maple syrup pie
- Nanaimo bars (we made 'em first)
- Butter tarts
- Date squares
- Pablum
- Crispy Crunch bars
- Smarties
- McIntosh toffee bars
- Red Rose tea (Only in Canada ....Pity!)
- Newfie screech ..!
- and of course, Poutine (see below)

Lacrosse is Canadian.
Hockey is Canadian.
Basketball is Canadian.
The size of Canadian footballs and football fields and, one less down.
Ogopogo is Canadian (Ogopogo, a distant and less-famous relative of the Loch Ness Monster, is said to sill live in Lake Okanagan, B.C.)
Molson's (beer) is Canadian. Stronger too!
The biggest flags ever seen at the Olympic closing ceremonies were Canadian (twice...and the second one was smuggled in against a rule that was made because of the first one).
Way better beer commercials here.
Much Music kicks MTV's butt.
Tim Horton's kicks Dunkin Donut's butt.
Maple Syrup kicks Mrs. Butterworth's butt (I don't know about Aunt Jemima).
In the war of 1812 we burned the White house and most of Washington.
Our "Civil war" was led by a drunken, and possibly insane William Lyon McKenzie.
Our civil war was a bar fight that lasted a little less than an hour.
The only person arrested and hanged after our civil war was an American mercenary who slept in and missed the whole fight, showing up just in time to get caught.
The Hudson Bay company once owned 1/11th of the Earth's surface.
The average dog sled team can kill and devour a grown human in less than three minutes.
We don't have much of a taste for powdered bear testicles, but we know who does, and we're willing to sell them.
We wear socks (black ones, if possible) with our sandals.
We knew plaid flannel was cool way before Seattle did.
We can out-drink most Americans.
We don't often marry our kinfolk.
The light bulb was actually invented by a Canadian. (Henry Woodward patented it in 1874). The patent was bought by some obscure American named Edison who improved upon the design and took credit for inventing it.
Other Canadian inventions include: the jolly jumper, duct tape, insulin, walkie talkies, roller skates, Superman, air-conditioned vehicles, acrylics, standard time (and daylight saving time), the paint-roller, the radio compass, snowmobiles, jet skis, improved zippers, and the handles on cardboard beer cases, etc.,etc., etc. (there are thousands more!)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ff9d83ebb587.gif[/atsimg]

Don't get me started...LOL

edit on 7-9-2011 by Tasty Canadian because: (no reason given)

HO do not forget the roberton swrew driver to bad henry Ford could not buy it
not that he did not try again & again & etc...........

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
All this talk about Canada and I'm still tying to find it on the map. Which state is it? Is it by Ohio?

ya Just typical americian, as a map and can find sh$%$#

ya i did so many month in %$%$%$%$ but can find his way back to his car LOL

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I say NO. I spent some time in Canada a few years ago and loved it. They are one of the most relaxed groovers around, so there!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Good morning from Canada!

Surprised no one called us seal clubbing lunatics like the last Canada thread

Well I'm off to class. Time to get the dog sled ready. Hope it didn't snow too much.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trillium
ya i did so many month in %$%$%$%$ but can find his way back to his car LOL

I know, right? what a dork.

a note to add I'm only making fun of myself here and not some other member

edit on 9/8/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Salamandy
I find it hard to believe there is are any cool Japanese or Chinese. Very nice of course but its impossible for an Asian male to be cool. Just doesnt work.

bruce lee?

was consisered cool by most everyone on earth, must be the exemption that proves the rule.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Canada is hardly exactly a country that sets the pulses racing here in Britain. It's not that we think of Canadians as ''uncool'', it's just that we don't really think about them much at all.

Personally speaking, I think that Canadians can't decide whether they want to be American or British, and they've merged into an awkward mix of the two. It seems to me that Canada doesn't appear to have forged an overriding national identity, unlike some of our other colonial outposts, like Australia.

I like the Canadian accent, though.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
It seems to me that Canada doesn't appear to have forged an overriding national identity,

Nicely said I would agree that at least from the outside that is commonly held attitude. I am not sure if Canadians feel the need to prove their zeal and nationalism but I guess if they wanted to they need better branding.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
According to this poll, I am one uncool mutherf'er

Born and raised in Canada by Polish parents.

How Aboot that, eh! Kurwa!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Complete and utter hogwash!

Everybody knows Nickelback is cool. Nickelback is Canadian, therefore canadians are cool

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
Nicely said I would agree that at least from the outside that is commonly held attitude. I am not sure if Canadians feel the need to prove their zeal and nationalism but I guess if they wanted to they need better branding.

Yes, it's not necessarily a bad thing to have a more insular national identity, although it does lead to Canada being thought of by outsiders as boring and ''unhappening'', and with people flummoxed when they try and think of what qualities your ''average Canadian'' has.

I actually find it ironic that Canada has such a low-key approach to outwardly expressing their nationality, considering that their biggest historical influences have been the British, the Americans and the French - probably the three biggest ''blow their own trumpet'' nationalities in the world !

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
joni mitchell

neil young

BTO

cowboy junkies

that old singing poet guy, lol, what's his name. oh yeah, lennie cohen!

1/2 my family is from there.

no prob here with you guys.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Ha couldn't agree more maybe they express themselves simply by not being blowhards

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taz2122
Complete and utter hogwash!

Everybody knows Nickelback is cool. Nickelback is Canadian, therefore canadians are cool

Don't get me wrong, I love my Canada. But I cant stand Knickelback!

Just my personal opinion. The dude can't sing and is a drink and driver. Thinks because he is a rockstar he can speed along in his Lamborghini while intoxicated. Guess it proves he is only human.

Knickelback and a few other Canadians can get deported to any of the 15 countries who deemed us uncool for all I care

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by InnerTruths
According to this poll, I am one uncool mutherf'er

Born and raised in Canada by Polish parents.

How Aboot that, eh! Kurwa!

Polish and Canadian! You got duped! LOL

Those morons organizing these polls don't know squat anyways. Nothing but a bunch oh haters if you ask me.

Oh Canada...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
reply to post by connorromanow

Shows maybe - (I loved TPB but cant watch much else)
comedians - yes
Singers and bands - hell no. That is one area when Canada is seriously uncool.

Robbie Robertson
Neil Young
Danny Lanois
3 exceptionally cool Canadian musicians...and to not recognise that is to be seriously uncool.

Personally, I just hate those Canadian stereotypes! And always that damn leaf eh? What's with that?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ee4a6bec41e9.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 8-9-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: I like pictures, eh?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join