It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman has to pay $1k for forced cavity search

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Woman has to pay $1k for forced cavity search

rt.com

The woman, whose name is being withheld, was apprehended by authorities earlier this summer. Acting on “credible information from a reliable source,” Metro Sgt. Mike Alba obtained a search warrant from Magistrate Court to send the woman into Memorial Medical Center to undergo a forcible and thorough body cavity search.

Not only did the probe come up fruitless, however, but the woman was footed with a medical bill for $1,122 for something she never wanted or asked for.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
so the deal was...
On a tip the cops believed the woman was concealing up to an ounce of heroin on her person... or rather... inside her person...

despite the fact she had she had no criminal record or history they drag her in for this search... and when then find she was innocent... they stuck her with the bill...

rt.com
edit on 6-9-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
to bad once she takes them to court it will so be worth it

link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I wonder how many more times things like this need to happen before people finally get sick of it and do something about it. Anyone in their right mind should get angry when they hear stories like this. Blatant abuse of power and lack of compassion for fellow humans. We are so desensitized to this stuff now that we forget about it 5 minutes later.

link   
Why am I not surprised?

Yet another example of our illustrious police state, and it's cohorts.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

so the deal was...
On a tip the cops believed the woman was concealing up to an ounce of heroin on her person... or rather... inside her person...

despite the fact she had she had no criminal record or history they drag her in for this search... and when then find she was innocent... they stuck her with the bill...

rt.com

I know it will get worse. And this is just the tip of the iceberg.
When we hear that people are being led to the guillotine, and then their estate gets stuck with the bill, the sheeple will finally understand that it's toooo late.
SnF
Semper Fi

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegoods724

Sadly....
there's not a damn thing she can do...
from wiki

Reasonable suspicion is a legal standard of proof in United States law that is less than probable cause, the legal standard for arrests and warrants, but more than an "inchoate and unparticularized suspicion or 'hunch' ";[1] it must be based on "specific and articulable facts", "taken together with rational inferences from those facts".[2] Police may briefly detain a person if they have reasonable suspicion that the person has been, is, or is about to be engaged in criminal activity; such a detention is known as a Terry stop. If police additionally have reasonable suspicion that a person so detained may be armed, they may "frisk" the person for weapons, but not for contraband like drugs. Reasonable suspicion is evaluated using the "reasonable person" or "reasonable officer" standard,[3] in which said person in the same circumstances could reasonably believe a person has been, is, or is about to be engaged in criminal activity; it depends upon the totality of circumstances, and can result from a combination of particular facts, even if each is individually innocuous

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on Tue Sep 6 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: added source

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Until someone directly defies them nothing will happen. Until someone publicly defies the authority or authority where there is no authority no one will understand that it can be done and it is possible to come out on top. When they start piling on the threats and saying how bad it is going to be if the person does not acquiesce to their demands, the people end up giving in. When the first person does not give in will things change.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

In that case, I think it a good idea if a lot of citizens do their civic duty and report seeing a cop shoving a bag of white powder up his ass...insist he/she is taken to be forcibly cavity searched, which if it comes up negative, can always be put down to a mistake because the cop was standing around with half his hand up his butt crack.

Give as good as you get folks...it's only being polite after all.

Hopefully, quoting a quote absolutely germane to the point i was making about being 'trod on' by the law, already quoted will not be considered excessive quoting.

If the quote does get removed again folks, if you want to refer to the quote Daddybare posted from Wiki, that will hopefully show my post in it's original context.

And for the record, this so called 'credible witness' isn't either...credible or a witness!

Should that individual now be taken to court for wasting police time, and a civil suit against them for the bodily assault and mental cruelty suffered by the victim herself?

I think so.

edit on 6/9/2011 by spikey because: To remedy alleged EXCESSIVE quoting.

edit on Tue Sep 6 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Considering the action the police took, they probably believe she can pull the money out of her a$$.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Yet more news confirming the laughing stock that America is.

lol

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
As if kicking in your front door based on word of mouth wasnt bad enough they're now kicking in your sphincter.

Crazy. It's only going to get worse.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

Originally posted by thegoods724

Sadly....
there's not a damn thing she can do...
from wiki

Reasonable suspicion is a legal standard of proof in United States law that is less than probable cause, the legal standard for arrests and warrants, but more than an "inchoate and unparticularized suspicion or 'hunch' ";[1] it must be based on "specific and articulable facts", "taken together with rational inferences from those facts".[2] Police may briefly detain a person if they have reasonable suspicion that the person has been, is, or is about to be engaged in criminal activity; such a detention is known as a Terry stop. If police additionally have reasonable suspicion that a person so detained may be armed, they may "frisk" the person for weapons, but not for contraband like drugs. Reasonable suspicion is evaluated using the "reasonable person" or "reasonable officer" standard,[3] in which said person in the same circumstances could reasonably believe a person has been, is, or is about to be engaged in criminal activity; it depends upon the totality of circumstances, and can
result from a combination of particular facts, even if each is individually innocuous

The fact that the police say they are acting on credible information is quite similar to most official communications nowadays in that it is with an almost absolute degree of certainty not true,

I don't see how they will get away with billing her. I've never seen a 1000$ plastic glove...
edit on 6-9-2011 by D377MC because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Apart from how wrong this is to make her pay-
How on Earth can such a procedure cost that much?
Craziness upon craziness.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by D377MC

it depends upon the totality of circumstances, and can result from a combination of particular facts

I think the cops are on slippery ground here. This made me fuming mad too.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
They should have called in that Trooper from New Mexico, I am certain his charges are much cheaper!

As for the OP, this is not surprising but this is really a bill that should be handled through all the unnecessary tickets that any municipality creates by way of the police. If they don't have the funds they should limit themselves to what they can see in front of them and call it a day!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
1,127$ - 0.10 cents for a plastic glove
Lets say 10 minute search, assuming someone was enjoying themselves.

How much is that an hour exactly? I need a change in careers, especially since the police have limitless amounts of 'credible and reliable information' ...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Look I'm as outraged as everyone else... why I posted the story...
if she was guilty than yeah, she should have paid... but she wasn't... oops... sorry .. so sad.. my bad... isnt good enough
they should have maned up and paid the tab...now they (the cops) have made her a victim

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by D377MC

I would be willing to wade around in any human orifice for that kind of pay. I don't care if it's shameful.

OP there has to be a way for her to get out of paying this. I'd honestly expect to see her win a civil suit against the police department. A forced cavity search is a pretty serious thing for a person to have to go through. Time to get a hold of my lawyer friend.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I may be wrong, but i believe the American euphemism in these situations is something like ' Yeah, well you can take it out of my ass!' Or words to that effect.

But then, they'd charge her double i suppose.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join