It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next generation of workers faces bleak future with more part-time work, says OFL

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Next generation of workers faces bleak future with more part-time work, says OFL

www.huffingtonpost.ca

TORONTO - Canada could face a labour shortage within five years as baby boomers retire, even as a younger generation of workers confronts a "bleak" future full of part-time jobs with poor pay and little or no pensions, union leaders warned Sunday on the eve of the Labour Day holiday.

Ontario Federation of Labour president Sid Ryan said he's worried students graduating with a bachelor degree won't find good jobs so they can pay off student loans and build a future.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
As a 20 something living in the most populated area of Ontario, I must agree.
Ever since I got out of school the only jobs I was able to find was part time, in order to move into full time. Working part time you get no benefits what so ever. I also had to sign a contract with workplaces stating I wouldn't seek employment with the competition while I was employed. This was such a dilemma as I would only ever get 18 hrs/week hours if I was lucky. I had to quit.
Since then, finding work that would be able to pay off all my debts accumulated is almost impossible, especially now, when there are hundreds of people applying for a position.

The only other choice I really have now is to work for myself, create my own business. I got a plan in the works, but I will need a lot of good luck and investors who are willing to work with me, as getting a loan from the bank now would be impossible seeing as how I owe them so much money from school debts and such.

This is the reality my generation faces in Ontario.

www.huffingtonpost.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Simple solution. Cut back the work week by 8 hours and then change coat of living to reflect new wage.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by InnerTruths

I totally agree. A few months back I started a thread about the currently bursting higher education bubble. I am a senior in college, and finding even internships is hard enough, let alone a real fulltime job with a decent salary.

Paypal co-founder says the education bubble in current bursting:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I'm in northern ont, there are no jobs here unless you cut your IQ in half and go work in mining.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
There's going to be a labor shortage, but people are still going to find a hard time finding jobs? That makes no sense at all...except for the fact that most companies these days want 2-5 years of experience for an entry level position.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

IMO the labour shortage is a myth. I keep hearing that word and yet not one person I know can find a Job.

Its like when I went to college 4 yrs back, they told me there was a labour shortage in my trade... yeah right.

It's a myth to get people to rush to the post secondary institutions like crazy.

Boogy boogy boogy you don't have post secondary you won't be able to ride the labour shortage gravy train ( insert sinister laugh here).

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Skerrako

Be glad you have not yet graduated and need to pay off loans without a job.

I just graduated and only about half of my fellows have jobs now.

Good thing student loan debt can never be written off or defaulted on, oh yeah its with you forever just like herpes
edit on 4-9-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I feel your pain there, many years ago (30) or so I worked my ass off just part time on my job with the goal to achieve full time status.
I am talking three two hour shifts in one day in three different locations, which were as the crow flies at least 20 miles apart from each other.
I only had grade twelve for an education but I could not afford any thing higher.
So at least I had no debt but I do recall putting in less than a dollar's worth of gas at a time in my old trusty Nova.
It took eight years but made it to full time with benefits.....It was awesome pay and very very good benefits.
Now I am an old fart here
Please don't get me wrong as I agree the job market sucks and big time too.
I also live in Southern Ontario so I have a good idea of what you are dealing with.

Where I used to work now only does part time employment unless absolutely necessary.
I wish you the best of luck in your en-devour to find full time satisfying employment there.
Until the major companies stop kissing the stock holders arses this is going to continue till everyone that needs a job here moves to China.
S&F
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MasterGemini

Just wait until they lock out your credit rating so that even if you have a credit rating over 700 like I do no bank will ever give you a mortgage and you'll never get a car loan or line of credit under 18% interest rate.

What a crime

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Sounds like my job
You don't work for bell do you lol

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by metaldemon2000
reply to post by Iwinder

Sounds like my job
You don't work for bell do you lol

Nahhh I don't work for anybody now, lost my job due to health.... I don't believe I was quick enough upstairs to work for Bell........but you never know I guess because I never applied there.
On a side note here, I never felt I was owed a job but i did feel if I stuck one out long enough it would pay and pay it did.
I don't think employee loyalty means diddly squat now at all.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
There's always the military! hell with degrees you could all be "Orificers"(sic)Fly,drive a(rather large) "boat"; go on to medical schooling."Orificers" can barely get their fingernail polish scratched if they really make informed choices. Nco's do all the "work" anyway.

edit on 4-9-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

The only other choice I really have now is to work for myself, create my own business.

Hmm. Maybe, but I think there are more options. ...There is the mainstream corporate economy - the product of governments partnering with global corporations - and then there are numerous alternate local economies. The best known alternate economies are criminal, most obvious in the drug trade and gang-type activities, but others seem to exist too. Think barter, trading goods and services, and buying local.

...fyi - Japan formalized relations with its criminal class/economy - now the Yakuza negotiate directly with government and the corporate class - and fight for their rights too. ...A year or so ago, two retired criminals demanded pensions from the government; I think they got it.

...Life won't be easy, true, but if you play it right it WILL be more free. Which is way better than getting pieced off with empty illusions.

S&F&
btw

edit on 4/9/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Nah any kind of employee appreciation is non existent these days.
Meet your quotas or the company policemen will come down on you in all their jackbooted fury.

My corporate masters treat me like a kindergarten kid.

GPS tracking devices on the vans, cell phone record checks, insane efficiency quotas that don't take breaks into consideration.

I swear they spend more money monitoring and tracking us than what we are paid hourly. Oh and the people assigned to track our van GPS (manned 24/7) are paid more than the guys driving the van.

Insanity.

And the guy who took away our Xmas bonus two years ago got a 20k bonus that Xmas for saving the company some cash.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

The only other choice I really have now is to work for myself, create my own business.

Hmm. Maybe, but I think there are more options. ...most obvious in the drug trade and gang-type activities, but others seem to exist too. Think barter, trading goods and services, and buying local.

edit on 4/9/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

I am already very familiar with the underground, but I am very very weary to continue with it.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
The hardest part about part time work is that you cannot afford to live on a part time wage. It's impossible.
The standard of living does not allow this. Add the fact that 90% of part time work pays minimum wage.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

This is true. In my city the statistics from 2006 is that 60% of wage earners in this city made below poverty line incomes.

We also have an unemployment rate hovering just below 10%, not forgetting that people on welfare or disability aren't counted for unemployment statistics.

And remembering that these are pre recession stats.
edit on 11/9/4 by metaldemon2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I blame the Unions as well..

College and university is a sham. It's just a corporate business, expect they are under the guise of Main St. instead of Wall St.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

I love how colleges push courses saying they have all these graduate success rates and that they are in such high demand, then you find out everyone else too the same course and that these so called success rates are derived from. One simple question in the post graduate survey: are you currently employed? Answer yes and you are part of the successful percentile, even if all you do is clean toilets at Micky dees

We need to push for full regulation of the post secondary industry. They need to be held more accountable for what is considered to be the biggest decision of you life, not to mention one of the biggest expenditures.
edit on 11/9/4 by metaldemon2000 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join