It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to not believe in god and not be an atheist?????

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Seriously

I just want to see what people think.

I am tired of being lumped into one big herd of "crazies."..

All I read is, atheist this and the athiest that........................

Is it possible to not believe in god and not be an atheist?????

I want to break away from the atheist movement.......Start my own chapter
Just kidding, I do not wish to start anything, just a good discussion.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
It's called Buddhism

I certainly don't believe in a magical sky fairy who created and rules over everything, but I don't call myself an atheist.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Don't be concered with a label people perceive you under,
I believe in a 'higher power', call it god, call it the inner self, call it the light body. Call it the friggen universe. What have you, but you are a human being and your beliefs are your own and for no one else to share =)

You are who you are, be it atheist or not.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
It's what I like to call MEism. I don't believe in God, but I am not an atheist, I just believe that any strength or power nessecarry for any situation is found within myself, because in the end, all you'll ever have is you.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I am not a believer in supreme beings but I don't call myself an athiest. I am just a non-believer. I don't think a person has to fit in with any particular group. Don't you hate to be lumped in with the militant athiests though? Just like my husband, who is a christian. He hates being classified with the christian fundies. Just seek your own truth.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I gave you all stars. Thank you for your input. I can see eye to eye with everyone responding.

It is like a guy at work asking me if I was married. I told him that I have been with my girlfriend for 12 years. He said I was living in sin. I just smiled and giggled a little bit. I told another guy that I do not do the religion thing..........

I do not think nothing of it. Label me what you will, that is how I feel.......

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Yes its called "agnostic"

Basically meaning that you dont believe in god nor do you believe he doesn't exist.

Its an intelligent way of saying "no-one can know for sure so I'm on the fence"

Definition

I consider myself agnostic.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

You tell that guy at work that he is sinning for judging you for their is only ONE judge, God (Christianity). He has judged you therefore he is in the wrong and has sinned himself.

To the OP. Listen to what the other posters stated. Don't worry about being labeled. If what you do and what you believe works for you than so be it. Don't fix whats not broken.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
Yes its called "agnostic"

Basically meaning that you dont believe in god nor do you believe he doesn't exist.

Its an intelligent way of saying "no-one can know for sure so I'm on the fence"

Definition

I consider myself agnostic.

Well,

I basically believe that man made god..

Then someone used the 'gods' to their advantage through fear, for control..........So I guess that I am not agnostic.....

Thank you for your reply.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Anyone who posts here and claims to have true faith is definately a nut. We wouldn't be here without questioning everything. What some would call God could have been a being with greater powers or special abilities that the "locals" didn't have. It is a matter of definition as to what might be refered to as "God'. A person who believes in a God be not an Aetheist, yes, I guess that's me. I only say that as I don't believe an all powerful being created all in 7 days. I think we may have had help or been seeded so to speak. I will question everything and respect all opinions equally. Why put a label on it?

edit on 08/15/2011 by exclusionzone because: oops

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

You tell that guy at work that he is sinning for judging you for their is only ONE judge, God (Christianity). He has judged you therefore he is in the wrong and has sinned himself.

I do not wish to do this. He is the shop foreman.......I have not been there that long, I do not wish to start any hard feelings.

He can think what he wants. I feel that I know where he is coming from. That is good enough for me....I guess

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I understand what you're trying to get at. I don't like to be lumped in with anybody, so I won't call myself atheist or agnostic. It seems to me that a lot of atheists like to label themselves as such, and then point out how "less holy than thou" they are. I like how somebody used the term militant atheist, I couldn't think of a better way to put it.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Atheists don't have a belief - they don't get together and discuss nothing, they don't preach dogma to each other, they don't have fear of an eternity in a place that dosen't exist. They may or may not be pragmatic realists. Just like christians they don't believe in many of the multiple other gods people believe in, atheists simply believes in one less god than christians.

If your associates have a problem with an atheist you need to seek out a better and more interesting group.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by exclusionzone

Why put a label on it?

Kind of what I am saying.

Why do we have to divided up?

Labels suck.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

If your associates have a problem with an atheist you need to seek out a better and more interesting group.

It is not really like that. He just kind of said it as he was walking away. He did'nt lecture me or anything. I don't think he thinks any less of me,,,,,But who knows , he might.

Besides I really like my job and the people I work with...........
edit on 1-9-2011 by liejunkie01 because: s[pe;;ing

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Hmm. Yes and no.

To go the atheist route outright, no - atheists believe a deity does not exist, period, so no.

To go the agnostic route, perhaps - agnostics state that there is not enough evidence, etc., to know one way or the other - I believe - so perhaps.

Take care, friend.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
consider the definition of an atheist...

one who simply does not believe in the existence of a god or gods...supernatural entities that wield great powers.

so, in the simplest sense, do you believe in the existence of supernatural beings? an entity or entities that wield powers over humanity, or the universe, for that matter?

now consider this...

god, as applied by religions, doesn't need applying here...for example, one can believe in a higher power, and call it god, yet not subscribe to any religion...he or she defines this entity as a being that is not defined by any religious guidelines, but exists simply as a being who watches, and perhaps - sometimes - intervenes at his or her will. (considering the ancient astronaut theories...)

such a belief would not make you atheist or even religious.

but, if you don't believe in such things - if you dont believe in supernatural beings - then by simple definition...

you Are an atheist - even if you wish not to be seen as such.

this would also apply to any religious context, and in the simplest sense.

consider this - in Neysa's post, she says her husband doesn't like being classified with the other christian fundamentalists...however, he does believe in christ...which is the core of the christian faith.

so by simple definition, he is christian...regardless of whether he is or isn't associated with those within his faith who follow a stricter understanding of the religion.

he is still aligned to the basic core of the belief system to which both he and them subscribe to.

thus, he is christian. perhaps not a christian fundamentalist...but still christian.

and keep in mind, every religion ebbs and flows based on the support it is given, whether it be mild or fanatical...as this is plainly obvious throughout the many centuries that the major religions have lasted through.

in the end, regardless of any belief or religion, the true desire for all should be to live for the sake of humanity.

not the sake of any belief system.

consider this food for thought. nothing more.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Nihilism

Akushla

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I am totally with you on this my friend. I do not like putting a label on my beliefs or lack thereof. I do not want to call myself atheist because they (some not all) seem to take to their lack of belief with an almost religious zealotry. Again, not all, just like not all religious people are bible thumping nuts. I just don't like people who try to force beliefs, or lack thereof, down other people's throat. Fanatics drive me crazy. That's what it boils down to for me. Religious fanatics, non religious fanatics, political fanatics. I don't care that your belief can save me leave me alone. You know?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
OP, have you ever seen the atheism episode of South Park? I think you'd enjoy it. Without spoiling it, basically everyone becomes atheist, so there are no wars over religion. Instead, three groups are at war over what is the most logical name to call themselves.

<<   2 >>

join