It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mathematics of Forgiveness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Life is not about being right or wrong. Its about positive and negative. A positive can cancel a negative. Two negatives make more negative. Only two positives make more positive. If we apply this principle to our lives, we can readily see that adding a positive to any situation will cancel a negative. It doesn't matter if we are talking to someone in conversation or dealing with a problem at work.

If you divide truth this way, you end up in one of three places: Where you are. Where you might have gone. Where you don't want to be. It IS possible to assign polarity to facts. (Good and evil, love and hate, humility and bias, altruism and objectivism, liberal and conservative.) Hate cannot dispel hate. Only love dispels hate. Simple mathematics can eliminate pride for the addition of love if we cling to love as our hope. One is a negative and one is a positive. Cling to the positive and life blossoms like a flower. How do we see this in light of what Christ did for us on the cross?

Only the love of God can bring forgiveness and positive in multiples. In multiplication, two like signs become a positive sign and two unlike signs become a negative sign. In this case, we are walking backwards in a positive direction. Why? In mathematics this is true because we are walking the numbers in opposite, but in the direction of positive. It is easy to draw the conclusion to life. How can this be true for us? A negative had to happen for our negative to become a positive.

Jesus died on a cross for our sins. Our sins are a negative. Jesus died a horrible death on a cross and this is a negative that paid the price for your negative.

In mathematics, if you owe three people $10, then you are negative $30 (3 X -10 = $-30). If they then say, "We forgive you for this debt because we love you," then you are free from that debt by another negative. You have just had three subtractions of -10, making you three positives of $10 (-3 X -$10). Your debt is -30 + 30 = $0

Jesus died a horrible death to pay your debt and mine. I fall on my knees in appreciation for this. He asks for our love in return.

The Hebrew people see time in an interesting way. They see the past as in front. This is because it has already happened and can be seen. The past is behind us because we cannot see the future coming. The direction is not a temporal direction, but the direction we face. Jesus faced us in the opposite direction by allowing us to see our future from our past. We walk backward in a positive direction toward our future. This is how a negative and a negative make a positive.

Love God and love your brother. This is the direction of peace and a positive future.
edit on 29-8-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I starred your post before I got to the part about Jesus dying on the cross for our sins. I believe the symbolic Jesus did not die for our sins but rather, he arose from the dead to show us we are eternal. And he forgave his killers - to show us the point you were making in your first three paragraphs.

Yes - only forgiveness or a positive can cancel a negative. Just as only light can dispel darkness.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia
I starred your post before I got to the part about Jesus dying on the cross for our sins. I believe the symbolic Jesus did not die for our sins but rather, he arose from the dead to show us we are eternal. And he forgave his killers - to show us the point you were making in your first three paragraphs.

Yes - only forgiveness or a positive can cancel a negative. Just as only light can dispel darkness.

Dispelling darkness with love comes form Buddha. He would agree with me on this: Do you fall in life or are you already fallen? Can the battles you wage on the outside of yourself have any merit on the inside for salvation of the soul? The true battle is not outside you. These things just make you fall again. You'll keep trying but you will continue to fall no matter how many positives you add to the negatives that never stop. The true battle is within. Once you isolate the problems within and win these battles, you can see that the outside battles are already won. Jesus came to show you this and not how to win on the outside. He has already won those battles. We think that things in the world are bad. Not so. Things on the inside need attention. The outside is merely there to point the way.

Dhammapada

In this world
Hate never yet dispelled hate.
Only love dispels hate.
This is the law,
Ancient and inexhaustible.
You too shall pass away.
Knowing this, how can you quarrel?
How easily the wind overturns a frail tree.
Seek happiness in the senses,
Indulge in food and sleep,
And you too will be uprooted.
The wind cannot overturn a mountain.
Temptation cannot touch the man
Who is awake, strong and humble,
Who masters himself and minds the dharma (laws of God in nature as a responsibility to man and God).

edit on 29-8-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

I agree with you. The battle on the inside is the only battle. Only part I disagreed with is "Jesus died for our sins". But, we are conditioned to look for the battle outside - where we project it. That's a distraction that keeps us tethered to the battleground. Hate to quote Michael Jackson, but it really does begin with the man/or woman in the mirror.

edit on 29-8-2011 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia

Define the "sin" be "forgetting we are eternal" and suddenly "died on the cross for our sin" no longer carries the negative stigma. Sure the message of the eternal is the bigger point... but in order to be able to make said point he had to die. He had to show that death for us is not what we think it is.

----

SuperiorEd: I love these sort of explorations of the anthropomorphizing of mathematics, especially regarding philosophical and metaphysical topics. I have explored and shared with a couple of friends one using i (square root of negative one) that is a lot of fun. Especially when you start exploring the powers of i. I would be curious to see if you see anything in i and perhaps we can swap notes to see if they line up!

Namaste!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ErgoTheConfusion

SuperiorEd: I love these sort of explorations of the anthropomorphizing of mathematics, especially regarding philosophical and metaphysical topics. I have explored and shared with a couple of friends one using i (square root of negative one) that is a lot of fun. Especially when you start exploring the powers of i. I would be curious to see if you see anything in i and perhaps we can swap notes to see if they line up!

Namaste!

I think a book could be written here. The i and -i making the only square roots of -1. Nice. The imaginary I provides at least one root for each polynomial. The extension of finite length constructed from variables and constants using using only the operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and non-negative integer exponents.

There are no square roots of zero, yet zero is every number and no number at all. If you add all the numbers negative and positive, you get zero (all numbers and none). Zero is infinity at rest. God is infinity at rest. God cannot be squared into roots, yet he is the roots that produce all variables.

i and -i are necessary to produce at least one root for each polynomial. I is the unknown quantity.

You are right. There's a load of pregnant implication here. Once you get beyond the easy addition and subtraction when counting things, those things are then amazingly complex. The term I enjoy is impenetrability. Two objects cannot occupy the same space. This is true in the physical and concrete world and this is true inside of man with emotions. The self (I) will always battle emotions. The two cannot occupy the same space, so the stronger of the two will overrule the other and push it aside. If emotion rules intellect, then we are living by self (-I). If intellect rules emotions, then we are living by equanimity (+I). Either way, they are both present for producing the root of existence. In the end, it's imaginary and only there to allow us to rightly divide one from the other.

How do you see it? I'm not much on math so I may have it wrong.

edit on 30-8-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
There is no functional 'mathematics' present here, and all allegorical references to such a 'mathematics' are just semantic excesses and fantasies.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by bogomil
There is no functional 'mathematics' present here, and all allegorical references to such a 'mathematics' are just semantic excesses and fantasies.

Oh... ok. Thanks for the help.

SuperiorEd: I look forward to sharing what I see in that very cool "imaginary number" this evening after work.

Namaste Friends!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErgoTheConfusion

Oh... ok. Thanks for the help.

SuperiorEd: I look forward to sharing what I see in that very cool "imaginary number" this evening after work.

Namaste Friends!

It's only a help to those, who never made it past 7th or 8th grade in school.

The part on allegories is maybe slightly more complex, because the semantics are brain-numbing.

But like you, I would find an inclusion of imaginary numbers interesting. It wouldn't surprise me, if Ed could 'prove god' from the square-root of minus one. He has elsewhere practically redefined quantum physics, so it fits with the bible; ...... 'god' and imaginary numbers should be a moments work.

But I won't unfairly predict such, time will show.
edit on 30-8-2011 by bogomil because: spelling

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

The part on allegories is maybe slightly more complex, because the semantics are brain-numbing.

I appreciated your help of offering your point of view for consideration, but I disagreed with it as should be obvious by my own pursuit of enjoying the exploration of how mathematics and subjective internal emotional states can be related.

If a person of a more materialistic only mindset believes that mathematical principles form the foundation of the universe, then emotions and personality should, according to this view, also be dependent upon and derived from mathematical principles. Thus the pursuit of the "personality of math in motion" is intimately intertwined with the study of both people and "pure" math.

Everything is a metaphor. Everything. Especially math.

Namaste!
edit on 30-8-2011 by ErgoTheConfusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErgoTheConfusion

I appreciated your help of offering your point of view for consideration, but I disagreed with it as should be obvious by my own pursuit of enjoying the exploration of how mathematics and subjective internal emotional states can be related.

If a person of a more materialistic only mindset believes that mathematical principles form the foundation of the universe, then emotions and personality should, according to this view, also be dependent upon and derived from mathematical principles. Thus the pursuit of the "personality of math in motion" is intimately intertwined with the study of both people and "pure" math.

Everything is a metaphor. Everything. Especially math.

Namaste!
edit on 30-8-2011 by ErgoTheConfusion because: (no reason given)

I'm far from being negative to so approaches, but there must be some order to it. Semantics run amok is off-limit for me.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

YOU WROTE:

Are you sure about this, or could it be that you just don't get it? You doubt everything, so nothing is all you will have. Consult Wikipedia below on the Imaginary Unit.

"In mathematics, the imaginary unit allows the real number system ℝ to be extended to the complex number system ℂ, which in turn provides at least one root for every polynomial P(x) (see algebraic closure and fundamental theorem of algebra). The imaginary unit is denoted by i, j, or the Greek ι (see alternative notations). Although its precise definition varies, the imaginary unit's core property is that i 2 = −1. The term "imaginary" is used because there is no real number having a square that is negative.

There are in fact two square roots of −1, namely i and − i, just as there are two square roots of every other real number, except zero, which has one double square root." LINK

I think a book could be written here. The i and -i making the only square roots of -1. Nice. The imaginary I provides at least one root for each polynomial. The extension of finite length constructed from variables and constants using using only the operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and non-negative integer exponents.

There are no square roots of zero, yet zero is every number and no number at all. If you add all the numbers negative and positive, you get zero (all numbers and none). Zero is infinity at rest. God is infinity at rest. God cannot be squared into roots, yet he is the roots that produce all variables.

i and -i are necessary to produce at least one root for each polynomial. I is the unknown quantity.

God is the Alpha and Omega. All and nothing. Beginning and end.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

Ahhh... ok fair enough. Thanks again!

I'm happy to run amok in exploration... but every endeavor, even those we are most familiar with... have to been as exploration and thus likely to go down a wrong path. But won't know if I just turn off one side of the graph and define that as my limit.

I will be interested to see how amok you feel my exploration of the imaginary "i" are later.

/salute

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

You wrote (on functional mathematics):

["Are you sure about this, or could it be that you just don't get it?"]

For a while I was a teacher of mathematics in highschool.

Quote: ["There are in fact two square roots of −1, namely i and − i,"]

Wellll, I never....there's always something new to learn from link-quotations.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

You wrote (on functional mathematics):

["Are you sure about this, or could it be that you just don't get it?"]

For a while I was a teacher of mathematics in highschool.

Quote: ["There are in fact two square roots of −1, namely i and − i,"]

Wellll, I never....there's always something new to learn from link-quotations.

There should be no surprise that math fits into God's reasoning for salvation. Since God bases His actions on perfect law, mathematics is that very law that is used. By our reasoning, metaphysics may be unconnected, but by God's, the law must be followed. I used the term metaphysical and mathematics in the same sentence. I also mentioned impenetrability in my post. Read the Wiki on impenetrability.

"In metaphysics, impenetrability is the name given to that quality of matter whereby two bodies cannot occupy the same space at the same time. The philosopher John Toland argued that impenetrability and extension were sufficient to define matter, a contention strongly disputed by Gottfried Wilhelm Von Leibnez.

Locke considered impenetrability to be "more a consequence of solidity, than solidity itself."[2]" LINK

Humility before God is the starting point. All the rest makes sense when you find love for God. We are fallen. This means we are already fallen. All that happens to a person in the outer world of action reflects the continual falling of our being. We cannot fight the battle on the outside. The battle is won on the inside. Jesus has already won on the outside. The inside is our job from what we learn from nature and experience.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
No, the comments you bring to these religious discussions, and the demeaning attitude you have towards people who believe in God, have no value.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by graphuto
No, the comments you bring to these religious discussions, and the demeaning attitude you have towards people who believe in God, have no value.

I'm not joining you in this blind alley. Can you please attach to topic?

new topics

top topics

join