It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people have such a hard time with "your" and "you're"?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

This pet peeve or yours, is slightly different then one that I have. For some reason, it doesn't bother me when their talking about going over to they're friends house over their, on the other side of town. Nor does it bother me much if your gonna wait until it's time to leave, before you pay for you're dinner. What bugs me, is if after all of that, you've decided that you're gonna go home first, than leave again, and go back to the store.

That wasn't easy to write, so if it isn't obvious, than click here→ [color=SkyBlue]◄▒►

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
For me....it is not a matter of not knowing the correct association. it is simply that i am lazy, and it is easier to type "your" for all occasions

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Well, I agree that it is somewhat annoying to see bad use of grammar on any site, but you have to think that sometimes people are typing out paragraphs and paragraphs of stuff in one post, and are making many posts in a day, and it would not be feasible from a time perspective to go back and fix every typo. As long as it's not every sentence, I can look past it to the main point. I don't buy the argument of laziness because if you were truly lazy you would type "ur" instead of "your". And additionally, a good number of very intelligent people are probably not the best at grammar. Grammar can be misleading as a measure of intelligence.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Why do you have such a hard time interpreting peoples mistakes? Are you so stupid that you cant understand a sentence because a couple letters or ' is missing? Who cares? They are not writing to prove they are robots with perfect grammar skills. This website is not about grammar, as long as you can comprehend what the person is trying to say then you should be content. Now are you going to pretend that you cant understand what I just said because I made a few mistakes? Are you going to correct my grammar so that you can pretend like you are superior? Grammar is just a skill, just like any other skill. Some people know how to ride a bike and some people know how to do a back flip on the bike, in the end the only thing that maters is being able to ride the bike.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

That's hilarious! They re-created that scene so good, or should I say so well

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
hi op
im sorry if my posts contain
your
youre
ur
youare
maybe some of us simple sheep ARE
disphetic
dispetic
dyslexic

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by sabbathcrazy

Are you so stupid that you cant understand a sentence because a couple letters or ' is missing? Who cares?

Actually, the stupid part is the fact that almost every time someone posts a RANT about grammar, it attracts heated responses, such as yours.

Your entire post, is a contradiction to itself. You wanna know why it bothers him, and why he cares, but why does it bother you that it bothers him? Why do you care, that he cares?

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Look, a good portion of people posting here do so from their mobile devices. Its a part of the digital age and its usually sloppy. Its the nature of the beast and its something you will have to get used to if you are going to read from sites such as this. Furthermore, I believe it is a part of the evolution of the English language which in itself has changed quite a lot over time. You can choose to embrace the changes or hate them, but it does not change the fact that it is changing and will continue to change in the future. I just read that they are talking about discontinuing teaching cursive in schools. Its going to be a lost art,. but I bet typing speeds will increase across the board. Everything is evolving for efficiency and necessity.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

You wanna know why it bothers him, and why he cares, but why does it bother you that it bothers him? Why do you care, that he cares?
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I know this wasn't directed at me, but it could have been...and all I can say BrokenCircles is that I don't want the members who already feel intimidated about their spelling to hold back their thoughts because of ridicule over silly spelling oversights.

Its difficult enough for some to get the courage to speak out , and this kind of thread makes them even more scared to speak out. That is why I speak out about it..so that those members may know that many of us don't care about the grammar and spelling .. as long as we can understand the post..its all good.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatKnot

I read a book, man, I wish I could remember it, that illustrated the progression of language.

One of the first examples, I believe, was how Chinese was so complicated hundreds or so years ago (perhaps over 1K?) that they simplified it to what English-speakers would essentially consider shorthand. Hell, it's still complicated as-as.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Its the nature of the beast and its something you will have to get used to if you are going to read from sites such as this. Furthermore, I believe it is a part of the evolution of the English language which in itself has changed quite a lot over time. You can choose to embrace the changes or hate them, but it does not change the fact that it is changing and will continue to change in the future.

I thought that was regression. Look at it as a whole. Think about all of the many shortcuts that are not only being used, but becoming more and more acceptable.
roflmao txt wtf etc. etc.

Compare those shortcuts to the vocabulary that infants have, when first learning to speak. I see more than a few similarities.

Sadly, you are correct. As we continue raising the intelligence of our own technology, we shall continue lowering the intelligence of ourselves.

Kubrick saw it coming.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
It isn't so much the fact that people use the wrong words. What irritates me is that, combined with a lack of punctuation and/or paragraphing, I have to re-read two or three times to figure out what they're trying to say.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I don't know. Maybe they are just really nit picky people who have nothing else to complain about and so should actually consider themselves very lucky. I imagine people all over the world wish bad spelling around them was their worst problem. I think this definition of per snickety about sums it up.

PERSNICKETY
a : fussy about small details : fastidious, a persnickety teacher
b : having the characteristics of a snob : requiring great precision, a persnickety job

Examples of PERSNICKETY
As she got older, she got more and more persnickety.
Lacked the patience to deal with such persnickety tasks as hanging wallpaper.
Synonyms:
choosy (or choosey), dainty, delicate, demanding, exacting, fastidious, finical, finicking, fussbudgety, fussy, nice, old-maidish, particular, pernickety [chiefly British], finicky, pickywww.merriam-webster.com...

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Its the nature of the beast and its something you will have to get used to if you are going to read from sites such as this. Furthermore, I believe it is a part of the evolution of the English language which in itself has changed quite a lot over time. You can choose to embrace the changes or hate them, but it does not change the fact that it is changing and will continue to change in the future.

I thought that was regression. Look at it as a whole. Think about all of the many shortcuts that are not only being used, but becoming more and more acceptable.
roflmao txt wtf etc. etc.

Compare those shortcuts to the vocabulary that infants have, when first learning to speak. I see more than a few similarities.

Sadly, you are correct. As we continue raising the intelligence of our own technology, we shall continue lowering the intelligence of ourselves.

Kubrick saw it coming.

I agree with you in some ways. But if you do look at the big picture and see how the youth are using the technology that they have at their disposal, I believe its more of a transition then a regression. They are communicating and doing things at speeds that have never been seen before. The real problem is that scholastic standards cant keep up with today's technology. When are we going to see "Texting and online communication 101" ? Probably not for years but I bet it will come. Its the people that are caught in the middle that seem to be bothersome to the person that started this post. We are all caught somewhere between "ROFL" and "Oh, that was funny". Its the transition. edit by]edit on 29-8-2011 by WhatKnot because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-8-2011 by WhatKnot because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-8-2011 by WhatKnot because: Had more to say

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

There is a very good reason for ATS having a 'RANT' Forum. This forum is here as a place for someone to vent. Let out a bit of steam. Sometimes, it doesn't even matter if nobody at all replies. It is still capable of relieving tension, by getting it off your chest.

What you are supporting here ↓. is a double hinged door that swings both ways.

I don't want the members who already feel intimidated about their spelling to hold back their thoughts because of ridicule over silly spelling oversights.

I don't think someone should be harassed for posting a rant, in it's appropriate place. Knowing that it is very likely, that their rant is going to bring them ridicule, and other types of negative responses, may keep people from posting their rant.

Regardless-
If someone is that easily frightened by a faceless person behind an avatar, then they have no business reading anything that is in the RANT section.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Actually, it is probably both.

In a way, the transition itself, could be what is responsible for regression.

edit on 8/29/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

I don't think someone should be harassed for posting a rant, in it's appropriate place. Knowing that it is very likely, that their rant is going to bring them ridicule, and other types of negative responses, may keep people from posting their rant.
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Point taken..I guess I should start my own rant about people who rant about spelling..

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Not that I would normally point out something so petty, but you know punctuation goes inside quotation marks, right?

As long as we are harping on insignificant grammar rules...

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sabbathcrazy

Grammar and punctuation are important from the point of view of ensuring that the recipient of your words derives the correct meaning. Take this perfectly valid sentence without punctuation.

John where James had had had had had had had had had had had the teachers approval.

Does that make sense as it stands?

It is also for just exactly that reason that legal documents are so often run on without proper punctuation for the specific purpose of making the meaning ambiguous. It keeps the lawyers in business.

In the context of ATS it is probably not so important, other than to convey correctly what you intended to say.

And the answer to the sentence?

John, where James had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had the teacher's approval.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join