It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your take on the concept of "Deja Vu"?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but this is the best I could find. So, as the topic states, what are yalls feelings on Deja Vu? I've had many, many experiences in my life where I felt I had already experienced, or been at that exact moment in time before. It hits me like a freight train every single time, my whole body is overwhelmed with this crazy feeling (can't really explain it) that at that exact point in time, I've been there before.

Now, I've of course heard the belief of having lived a past life, but personally I don't believe that. What are your opinions on this subject?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by BGbeauregard

I believe they involve situations that have been in our dreams and are lying dormant in our subconscious.

edit on 20-8-2011 by XplanetX because: typo

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
It baffles me. I definitely don't believe in an afterlife. I also don't believe in anything supernatural. But I have many times had the feeling of experiencing a set of random events before....So I don't know. I have no focking idea

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
perhaps it could also be like checkpoint of our destiny

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
vertigo. That is how I describe the indescribable feeling.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   

I could swear that I just answered this question...but seriously, quantum events probably take place in the mind-this is God's universe and therefore anything is possible. There is no speed limit (light) and time travel can happen-you just need a pass from the creator.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
All very interesting posts guys! It is indeed one of the things in life that I absolutely cannot explain, or really put into words. I like all of yalls take on it, makes me ponder about it even more... One of the things about it that really makes me think is, like I said, how it hits you immediately and like a freight train. In a split second, my entire body and mind tells me I've seen or been here before.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Reincarnation, past lives are not only possible, it is truth. It doesn't matter you believe or not. "parallel reality theory"??? - also possible.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Guys, it all been already explained: system change in Matrix!!!

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   

I knew from the first moment: you are the One!

RTGREAT, aka Morpheus

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
You might have a interesting read at a thread I previously authored.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I feel that it is a small time slip... but not in the usual sense. I think there are some dreams we have where we are actually viewing future events. I'm not saying all dreams are future events, only a select few, and we don't remember these "time slip dreams" when we wake up, only when the real event occurs do we feel like "we've been here before". That is just my take on it... Time Slip Dreams coming true.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
What do I think about deja vu?

Let me tell you ive seen it all before

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
personally i think that there are different types of deja vu..some may be the result of dreams, others may be the result of similar situations in a past life, but thats just my opinion

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I recall coming across some theory a while back that I am inclined to agree with, that parallels with most who've posted to this forum already, i.e. that deja vu is a feeling we experience to present circumstances we've already glimpsed in our dreams (or subconscious) but forgotten. A scriptural quote I always reflect upon as I fall asleep is Job 33:14-15, "For God speaketh once, yea twice, yet man perceiveth it not. In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumberings upon the bed." Night . . .

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
I don't agree with the "anomaly of memory" explanation, and I'm speaking from my own personal experiences as to why I don't like the idea. That's another story... I do however like the theory of a parallel reality. I'm taking a stab in the dark and guessing this would refer to you having another copy of yourself somewhere in the universe, or a parallel universe, living the same life but with subtle differences.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Since it happens to everybody, my opinion is that our brains intermittently release some chemical that causes this quick reaction in the brain. What the purpose of this chemical is I do not know, but that is the conclusion that makes the fewest assumptions, so is probably the right conclusion.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by rsk360
personally i think that there are different types of deja vu..some may be the result of dreams, others may be the result of similar situations in a past life, but thats just my opinion

Deja vu...literally translated, means, seen before - or, already seen.
The way we experience this phenomena is different for all people at different times. The sense of smell figures predominantly in the majority of deja vu situations, as a catalyst (why this is so is moot). Suffice to say, something triggers the 'memory'.
Some experiential situations are so similar as to be analogous, and therefore attributed to deja vu...but are not.
Deja vu, strictly speaking, describes the feeling that you have been, done, experienced the same situation at some other time locum. These feelings can and do present in the 'dream state'. These feelings can and do present in highly charged (fast vibrating) situations. These feelings can and do present in contemplative moments, when brain wave patterns are able to fascilitate the levels of perception needed to access them.
When feelings are highly charged, or vibrating quicky; or when brain wave patterns are in the zone needed to access them, the paradigms of time and space melt into experiential insignificance; to the point where, a deja vu can present itself as a prophetic experience, or an experience which accesses a future locum. Telling the difference requires both vigilance and perspective. Vigilance, in case the deja vu accesses a future event; and perspective, in case the the deja vu accesses a genuine, already experienced (been there) situation.
Hope this helps
Akushla

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I think the tricky part of deja vu is the aspect of time.

I see all past present and future as a whole. Our perception of it as we pass through, however, is linear.

I see deja vu as our own occasional subconcious wormhole to other parts of the whole.

I used to get it a lot but one time I had deja vu, recognized it and quickly spit out a couple things that were about to happen in front of people. It's the only time that ever happened to me but it was a real event.

It's changed my argument for fate vs free will too. Now I think that our free will wrote fate...Based on the fact that whatever the circumstance, where to go to school, who to date, should I light up another cigarette, etc, we will make the same decision every time given those particular variables, good or bad. That our destiny is preordained by our own decisions, that have already happened and we're always "catching up" to what's already laid out.

Does that make any sense to y'all?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Hi BG

Have often wondered about deja vu and have experienced it on many occasions: It's very strange indeed.

I came across an interesting article the other day about this. Wish I had kept the link but sorry.
What I gathered from it was that two areas of our brain are actually working at the same time. We are living a new experience but at the same time recalling it. Deja vu is experienced when the two brain areas are somehow both activated simultaneously. Wish I could explain it in more detail but I'm sure you could google this.
It's very interesting what all our brains are capable of...
The article made sense and explained it to me. Hopefully this will help .

edit on 20-8-2011 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join