It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "swamp gas comment" and other horrible one liners.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I'm sure there's a lot of us that can relate.....
You're looking through a cool thread and then you realize it's cluttered up by really bad one liners. Now I know ATS has rules against one line posts, and personally I feel that sometimes I can express exactly what I would like to in one line so it's not that brevity of the posts that bugs me, it's uselessness and redundancy. I have specific example in mind that I see ALL THE TIME mostly in the UFO forums, but recently in a bigfoot thread as well.

Example: I find a UFO thread with a cool video or something and I start reading through it. Hopefully most of the comments are adding something to the thread, but eventually you always...almost without fail run into this comment: "it's just swamp gas nothing to see here..."

So dumb.

Now, if someone actually believed that swamp gas was a the culprit for UFO's then that would be fine, but it's always somebody who thinks they're being funny, because one time long ago project blue book used this horrible explanation for some sightings. IT'S NOT FUNNY!!! It's just lame, and it makes people look dumb to be "that guy" in the thread who has to say it. It's like when you go to a concert and there's always some idiot who yells "play some skinnard!!" it originated in a Beavis and Butthead episode and was only funny in that context.

This is the last straw; next poster I see making a swamp gas comment will be referred to this thread and hopefully reformed or at least made to feel like a moron. Even worse is the guy who responds to the swamp gas poster...but I'm not getting into that now.

Would like everyone else's thoughts on the swamp gas comment...and of course if they can think of any more pet peeves then by all means post em.

LS206

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

just enjoyed a thread with similar sentiments recently and i thought you may enjoy reading. the OP of that thread made some good points. it was similar but not the same as your OP. hope you enjoy.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206
eventually you always...almost without fail run into this comment: "it's just swamp gas nothing to see here..."

So dumb.

Not just you thats getting annoyed...
you know what grinds my gears?....."swamp gas" guy

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Haha, I agree and see it often in threads. Really that's all they have, swamp gas or lanterns as a quick "give me stars" reply. Often they probably didn't look at the images or even read the thread.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Ha thanks guys, it's good to know I'm not the only one. Maybe we can finally bury the stupid swamp gas comment once and for all.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

I'm not even sure its to get stars, I honestly just think that on the internet everyone thinks they are some kind of comedian, and the tool who makes the swamp gas comment probably thinks he's being clever even though it's nothing more than a lame cliche. I don't think anyone actually believes its swamp gas, but they do think they are being funny. They're not, I always feel for the imbecile who makes that comment...you really do have to pity the poor fool.....

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I can't think of any right now, but I'll go ponder it and get back to you.
Kidding! But that's they type of post that really chaps me sometimes. My "Swamp Gas" guy if you will. I hate it when people post a reply that doesn't contribute anything to the thread, and they're only saying that they'll go "do some research" (read wikipedia) or think about it and come back later with a better reply. Agh! I can't stand it! Things like that and the swamp gassers only serve to make intelligent, well thought out, researched posts get lost in the jumble of stupid one liners.

PS I felt especially obligated to post here because I just moved to Hawaii from Seattle last month and seeing you're from the old hood made me kind of nostalgic. Hope things are just the way I left it there - gloomy and depressing.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I hate that "swamp gas guy" !!!!!!!

also related to "weather balloon guy" and "chinese lantern guy"

Every time they post that one liner, its in the context of it not being swamp gas, weather balloon, or a chinese lantern.

They always post that stupid one liner thinking its so funny but after the 100th time it just isn't.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   

" "it's just swamp gas nothing to see here..."

So dumb"

loool gets me everytime haha i giggle like a little school girl when i hear these one liners in ufo threads

they always make my day and instant smiles

wanna know where it comes from ?

my haterade is on

"second line"

misleading titles

edit on 15-8-2011 by seedofchucky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Any of these:

Wait for phage to answer

Phage, kills bugs dead

Phage, phage phage.

Ya know what? I personally know phage, that's a fact. I've been at his house while he's on ATS and I know him quite well. I won't say who he is but I will say this, he can use google and wikipedia, quite well, but he is NOT an educated scientist and his opinions are just that, opinions. Do the research yourself and you'll see that within five minutes of web trawling you too can seem like a Havard Physics Professor.

F**k phage.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

I don't know how anyone could think it's funny, it's been said about million times. and was probably only mildly clever the first time I saw it.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by manontrial

yeah those are pretty bad too but dang, lets not turn this into a phage bashing thread.
I guess you can talk cuz you know him, or maybe you just have a little poster envy towards him?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroReady

it's summer, seattle is a great place to be, even if it hasn't been the hottest summer.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Na na, trust me, I know him. I've known him for about 16 years now. He actually introduced me to this website.
It's not phage I don't like, he's pretty good. It's all the twats who post crap like 'ask phage, wait for phage to answer, phage kills bugs dead' etc. Are they that stupid they can't see he's regurgitating google and wikipedia at them?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206

I don't know how anyone could think it's funny, it's been said about million times. and was probably only mildly clever the first time I saw it.

thats because of a lack of imagination

a) its funny because how dare he have the audacity to question your intelligence with such a comment lol makes me giggle just talking about it hehe

b) you already know his comment is full of ignorance and he is looking for attention that should be automatic with such posts .. you don't take it to heart you just laugh it off and move on

c) it sounds like something the government would say which makes it even more funny when they try and insult your intelligence

d) when the video lacks evidence and when you can only draw minimal conclusions without any closure on the matter then sometiems all you can do is have a chuckle at it move on to the next one !

"nothing to see here folks ....just swamp gas" hahaha

"its venus you douchebag"

"chinese lanterns"

"weather balloons "

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I think you're completely missing the point of my thread.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   

I find it annoying too.

But not as annoying as the gov't which tells people that 1000 ft rectangular shaped object that moves at impossible speeds was just an F16.

Maybe next time the gov't wants my tax return, I'll just send them a note saying I thought the tax return was a "bug" so I didn't pay attention to it.

new topics

top topics

join