It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Torchwood's Miracle Day: Immortality-- Not as Much Fun as it Sounds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Ok I just had to post something about this amazing plot and that it could be a manual if this would actually happen in real life. I had some trouble deciding where to post this but I believe this is ok.

Before Torchwood's idea of immortality hit the silver screen I, like the majority of the population, believed that immortality would allow me to live forever. Never aging, no sickness, no pain. Throughout history every single culture, every single person throughout time has wanted to find immortality in one form or another. Not so fast. Immortality might not be as much fun as we think.

The fictional immortality idea is more invincibility than immortality. In actuality, immortality without invincibility would suck!!!!! It wouldn't be fun at all! In fact it would be quite a disaster.

***If anybody who isn't caught up with every episode already aired there is spoilers below

Drug Companies (phicorp)-- kings of the market.
If you get hurt your body won't miraculously heal, you will just always be in pain.
45th story jumpers-- people will look for ways to die.
Government sanctioned death camps-- The ovens (of course many people on these forums already believe such camps are in existence--for different purposes.)
Should criminals get released if there is no way to execute them and they carried out their sentence? Lawsuits and crazy prophets will appear. Oswald Danes.
Death Categories-- For insurance reasons and government use the hurt/supposed to be dead people will have to be categorized.
Dead is Dead-- Where to draw the line between life and death? Who should die? Who should be allowed their rights?
Religious problems-- No death? No Heaven? No Soul?
Population will increase indefinitely squeezing resources and crowding.
Politics- will all stupid wars be stopped because now no one can die? inhumane?

I know a lot of people give Torchwood a bad rap now, because its strayed from its original concept. They did remind the fans that this will be sort of a reboot, and I am loving every single second of it. This story is sooo good and I believe we can talk a lot about the philosophical implications if this were to happen in real life. I mean the plot is so well written and sooo well done, that it really could viewed as a manual/documentary.

And if you don't like Torchwood you can still participate in the discussion about your views about immortality. I don't believe that the concept of immortality has ever been thought about like this or the implications it could have on the entire world.

edit on 13-8-2011 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I LOVE TORCHWOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do think though that 'Oswalds' revelation speech was unsettling and what Jack said to him about knowing why he murdered the little girl
To feel 'oneness' I did not like that.

I think a cash injection saved Torchwood from being axed, it may have come at a sinister price.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

Love this reboot! I also really enjoyed children of earth. Im not sure why people are so concerned with the premise of the show. The queen initially started torchwood for dr who and any other threats of alien origin or otherwise to the throne of england. They are still doing their job capacity in a sense, since technically its still an alien interference in that they do not know the originators of this miracle. Humans are involved yes, but even in children of earth, it was humans working for aliens. The show isnt finished its first season yet, we dont know the full story......"the families will rise" is something to keep an eye on, that statement rings a bell with me I just can't point it out.

The problems are surprising to me, ones ive never thought of. The religion one was especially one I hadn't thought of but could make complete sense. Drug company having a role I thought was pretty inventive as well and logical since being immortal only means that, doesn't mean forever youthful and regeneration. I like that it shows such a dark side and one of those "be careful what you wish for" things. Imagine the need for organs now, peoples failing organs that should of died but now will suffer in imaginable ways without, black market anyone?

One good thing I think maybe would come out of it is maybe people would actually take care of their bodies, I mean if you are going to get really damn old, you better be able to keep that body fit and healthy as long as possible and combat the degeneration thats gonna happen anyway.

Can't wait till 9:00!

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Absolutely love this season of Torchwood but the scene (already shown in the UK) of the blown up guy having his charred head removed to see if that killed him still haunts me.

I certainly wouldn't wish for immortality/invincibility because at some point you will have to watch the universe come to an end... then what? I would imagine it would be quite boring after that
Considerably longer life though? I'll go for that

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by topherman420

Yea, I forgot about the organs. Thanx. I'm rewatching it with my family and I keep on discovering new stuff.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by PW229

" the scene (already shown in the UK) of the blown up guy having his charred head removed to see if that killed him still haunts me."

I know what you mean freaky stuff but awesome scifi!!!! and a very good question at that!

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Torchwood would be much better without the random sex scenes....

we call it 'Doctor Who for gays [/welsh accent]' in our house
edit on 13-8-2011 by Beavers because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The total Sstanic plan sure hints quite loudly what is going on right now. Death camps, Bible references, Immortality, Sin. It is unsettling. It's as if the Director/writer is trying to wake people up - or the normal rubbing our faces in it....
God help us:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

I don't take it that far but it is scary to think about what could happen if Miracle Day did happen or any type of world wide disaster really.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I admit I have missed the last two episodes mainly because I cant stand the wooden acting of John Barrowboy also the plot line just doesn't make any sense. Apparently nobody can die,what! even if they have been burnt or cremated to dust ? In one of the earlier scenes we see a helicopter crash and burn and nobody survives it. Silly plot that makes no real sense and far too long being ten hours in total.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Its fun science fiction there's bound to be holes. And yes, I think John Barrowman has been cutting back in order to give others on the show more light. Bill Pullman is amazing in the series! Rhys has a bit more screen time than he had in the original Torchwood.

edit on 13-8-2011 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
You missed the thread we already had about it: Link

I am really liking it a lot. I was worried initially because I hadn't watched Torchwood before and I didn't like Davies's writing on Doctor Who to be as good as Moffat's and the 11th doctor's episodes but this show is awesome and brilliant. The man's an awesome writer.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by MrAndy

This is a bit different that thread is talking about Torchwood itself while I am talking about the idea of Miracle Day and that it can be viewed as a manual/documentary if this were to happen in real life--today. Bit of a difference.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I have like the torchwood series. Miracle day is not my favorite season. I would prefer the story for the season not take up the whole season. I just hope I can see the rest of the episodes now so I can find out what happens.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Saw the latest episode of miracle day last night and apart from a few bits I thought it was amazing.

When they finally show the miracle It was impressive and not hard to actually imagine something like that being covered up by TPTB today.

Cant wait for the last episode next week.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenMe2012

I wonder if they can answer all the questions in this last episode, if so, the writers of Lost should learn from Russel T. Davis!

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
So Torchwood is over now, AICN expresses doubt that Starz will renew the show and Russel T Davies is moving on to other things so it might be the last Torchwood ever, although the ending left the door wide open for a continuation.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by MrAndy

I was satisfied with the ending. It answered a lot of stuff.

Starz said they were 100% on board with a new Torchwood if RTD wants to write another series, it's all up to him now.

screenrant.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I just got done watching the final episode. Like I said before I would prefer if they would just go back to one hour episodes. I am glad they closed out most of the threads they started during this season. I am glad the mole got her payback at the end. I don't like what happened to the agent. I prefer there just being one capt jack in the world. Aside from that I hope they do make another season.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
AAARGHH!! Am so frustrated I can´t see it yet on any of my channels!

Just watched Children of earth on DVD and that was superb - some of the best science fiction I have ever seen!

Can´t wait to see Miracle Day but I think it´s sad if John Barrowman has been forced to step aside - he IS Torchwood!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join