It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elite Debunkers on ATS have been debunking every conspiracy since they joined. Why?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Here is your ultimate tool against false information:
Question it.

Remember this : there is no such thing as "credibility", it's a logical fallacy.

It is an Ad hominem attack against the messenger rather than an actual attack on the stated information.

And even if someone hoaxed something 1000 times the last 10 years, it doesn't automatically mean they are hoaxing it today, although the probability of a hoax is exceedingly high.

You have to use a discerning eye and question the many aspects of something, and then do some fact-checking and resource digging. They could be telling the truth today, it's up to us to determine that accurately, and avoid falling into the pit traps of logical fallacies and thus missing out on the truth.

Here is a link to a list of fallacies . Learn that list, use it against them.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
If you never had People debunking threads this site would be ridiculous..

It is good to have a debunker and a believer in a discussion because that way you get quite a balanced view of the subject in hand.. It would be terrible if everyone just believed everything they read on here.. Some of the threads are truly ridiculous and need to be debunked instantly before they go to far..

Also the debunkers or skeptic do add valuable information which the person making the thread didn't know or conveniently chose to leave out/ignore

It's good to be balanced and hear both sides of the story in my opinion.. Often In threads people even call these guys out to look at something especially space or UFO related..

I see nothing wrong with these guys and feel they are valuable members of our community..
edit on 13/8/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Like I said, I don't mind people debunking the odd conspiracy. But those who try to debunk/ridicule every single conspiracy since they have joined whether as a troll or paid agent, is my cause for concern.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
"Belief is the death of intelligence." - RAW

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by CasiusIgnoranze

Agreed. I liken it to the thousands of "free thinkers" out here that chant "Freedom", but as soon as there is an uprising either here or overseas; they are quick to cry to the system to squelch the matter. It's like a think-tank of talkers and so very few doers. And the first step in doing is believing.

The very act of conspiracy involves one of the Original 10, bearing false witness, or lying. Lying is as old a sin as mankind. Why do some find it so hard to believe that two or more people would scheme, lie, and conspire to gain additional power, control, or wealth from a largely apethetic populous of sheep?!

If there are a few of us sentinals remaining that cry "The British are Coming", then let us continue our campaigns. To the debunkers....hell, let's call them Pharasies...to the Pharasies amongst us, may your very words lead to your own demise. We don't give a d**n which side you're on!

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
Sorry if people understand things better than yourself

Its all very well calling us debunkers, but we add huge amounts of information which would otherwise be left out to explain these things.

Deny ignorance

I wouldn't call someone a debunker who merely debates something. I debate things all the time too....

It is more of a pejorative term, used to express the feeling that a particular person is not even legitimately arguing or debating the topic, but instead is attempting to derail it with anything , including lies or half-truths.

The example I gave on page one should solidify what this negative terminology refers to. Someone actually spreading lies to cover up a grim reality.

Skeptics who seek a good debate are always good in my opinion. I am one of them, I enjoy finding the truth through diligent cooperation.

But some folks don't play fair. They will lie early on in a thread, make it sound 100% concrete, which 90% of readers will see and automatically walk away at this point. However 4 or 5 pages later, their so called concrete crumbles into dust and is proven false. But remember, 90% of the people never found out, and were honestly misled by the crap posted on page 1.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by CasiusIgnoranze
reply to post by Misterlondon

Like I said, I don't mind people debunking the odd conspiracy. But those who try to debunk/ridicule every single conspiracy since they have joined whether as a troll or paid agent, is my cause for concern.

I know there are some that seem to intentionally and regulary derail threads here.. And they can get a little bit nasty about it too..

Those guys to annoy the hell out of me

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Its all very well calling us debunkers, but we add huge amounts of information which would otherwise be left out to explain these things.

Deny ignorance

Logical fallacies. Plus a neat way to insert personal insults. "Sorry if people are smarter than you".

So if the OP points out something wrong with something, it's automatic proof that every human is right and he is always wrong?

Please, flush the toilet again.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by CasiusIgnoranze

I appreciate debunkers, provided they are really honest brokers.

The ones who are not are easy to spot and well worth ignoring...

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
If you never had People debunking threads this site would be ridiculous..

Why cannot you think for yourself ?

Forming a cult around someone and believing everything they say is well, equally as bad as not believing anything someone says because they lied in the past.

Everyone has lied in the past, including Phage. No human is perfect. I guess no one has any credibility anymore.

I guess that means debating things is pointless now. Since we all have lied at least once before.

This website is not ridiculous, but some of the absolutist absurd claims made here sure as heck are ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Deny ignorance

Logical fallacies. Plus a neat way to insert personal insults. "Sorry if people are smarter than you".

So if the OP points out something wrong with something, it's automatic proof that every human is right and he is always wrong?

Please learn how to read and not twist my words

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
"Belief is the death of intelligence." - RAW

So do you believe that 'belief is the death of intelligence'? Paradox ?

Therefore you don't believe anything, and if you do, you have no intelligence.

That quote is garbage, sorry.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Deny ignorance

Please learn how to read and not twist my words

If you toss out insults, you are in for a rude awakening.

Folks like me will easily twist it back onto you. Your arrogance is your weakness.
You may think of yourself as 'smarter' than others, but in reality it is a random coincidence if you know something someone else does or vice versa.

You will not get away with Ad Hominem attacks in my presence.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
To look at it from a different angle, maybe if there was actually some substance to the wild claims that we see on these boards then the 'debunkers' wouldn't be able to debunk, how could they? If a debunker does actually debunk something hasn't that debunker done people a favour or would people rather just go through life blindly believing everything they read?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

If you toss out insults, you are in for a rude awakening. Folks like me will easily twist it back onto you. Your arrogance is your weakness. You may think of yourself as 'smarter' than others, but in reality it is a random coincidence if you know something someone else does or vice versa. You will not get away with Ad Hominem attacks in my presence.

Thats not an insult.

If i work as a nuclear scientist and someone is discussing nuclear fision/fusion, i would be in a far better position to comment n a factual manner.

Thats the point....no insults

Now get off your soap box

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
debunkers serve a great and needed service. To allow outrageous claims to stand without rational disassembly and examination invites ignorance, willful ignorance in fact. Their knowledge greatly adds to this site and they are a powerful tool.
The only correct way to examine any theory is to put it to the test and throw as much accurate information at it as possible. If the theories cannot stand the examination, then it is just so much poo and commands no attention other than derision. However if a theory can stand after much discussion then debunkers have done their fellow conspiracy theorist a great service. they have in effect, through their non-belief assisted in proving the theory. the old saying, " if you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen." applies well here.
Even professional scientists welcome this, it is called peer review.
Scientists develop their theories and then put them to the test by publishing their work. Then other scientists review their findings and attempt to duplicate the results or examine the theory for flaws, prior to making judgements.

i welcome debunkers they are the life and blood of ATS.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by HUMBLEONE

An after earth party?
I have an in with the head chef at Milliways unless you have a better suggestion.
Namaste-Shama-Lama-Ding-Dong. You embellish.

"Otis my man" .......Peter Riegert

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Saying someone doesn't understand something is a cop out.

Explain it to them than, clearly and concisely, if you are so enlightened.

But just simply saying "You just don't understand, hahahaha" is lame to the max.

Obviously you can explain things or you cannot. Going around telling people they are wrong without supplying the reasoning that elaborates upon the ideal you are articulating is a very sad and pathetic form of argumentation.

It is by definition Ad Hominem, because you are insulting the messenger while failing to address the argument or it's points directly.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaDreamer
debunkers serve a great and needed service.

Skeptics serve a great needed service.

They are open to any possibility and will go with the evidence and logical reasoning.

Debunkers are not looking for the truth. They are there to debunk debunk debunk. There is never any fair debate, there is no possible outcome other than "DEBUNKED!".

Therefore, skeptics are a valuable resource. However debunkers are a thorn in the hide.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkwind.
To look at it from a different angle, maybe if there was actually some substance to the wild claims that we see on these boards then the 'debunkers' wouldn't be able to debunk, how could they? If a debunker does actually debunk something hasn't that debunker done people a favour or would people rather just go through life blindly believing everything they read?

As I stated earlier, a debunker is not a skeptic.

That guy who posted outright lies and totally incorrect math was trying to say coal power plants caused a 1.6 uSv reading in the rain water. That's "debunking", it's using lies to hide the truth.

The in depth investigation into the math and sources revealed his information to be utterly false. But it took several pages before it got to that point.

The goal wasn't to actually hide the truth from a critical thinker. The goal was to fool as many people on page 1 into leaving the discussion thinking it was resolved entirely, when in reality, they are all believing in total garbage without any reasoning to support it what-so-ever.

There is your problem. Skeptics offer potential solutions.
Debunkers force absolutist bullcrap onto everyone under the guise of fact and misinform many.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join